Address: 650 Mokepilly Road, Lake Fyans Vic 3381
Phone: (03) 5356 6230
Link: http://www.lakefyansholidaypark.com.au/
Date Visited
: 31/10/14 - 4/11/14 (4 nights)
Visitors: 2 adults, 3kids
Rate: $220 ($55/n) for a powered site including sullage

Review:
The Marshians stayed at this camp over the Melbourne Cup long weekend this year. At around 3hrs from the Marsh (inc. fish 'n' chips in Beaufort) it's right at the limit for us for a "Friday Night Getaway" but the additional night allowed us a real holiday feel, which was very welcome.

Arriving early evening (8pm) on Friday we were met with some very balmy weather and a crap load of bugs/midgies/blowies/mozzies. Unpacking whilst not letting every known flying insect into the van was quite the art, but the outside light did it's job and only 1,000 made it in. I was worried that this would be the trend for the trip, but the weather cooled off and the bugs disappeared. Which was very welcome.

The site itself was large enough for our 17ft, the annexe and the Pajero to fit side by side leaving plenty of space out the front for the fire barrel. Yes, you read that correctly, fire barrels are allowed providing the meet the guidelines for the park (available on the website). Our site however seemed wider than most, and I think on the rest, the cars would need to be kept out the front on the kerb. Sites themselves were nicely covered in grass and soft underfoot. We didn't even unpack our large CGear mat. Power, water and drains were adjacent to the site which was very handy. The water however is untreated to you drank it at your own peril without boiling. Drinking water is available at the front of the park.

Ammenities were serviceable and reasonably clean, although were a Bug Mecca on the first night. Also seemed numerous enough for the size of the site and never had to queue for a shower.

The site also has a decent pool, a reasonably sized playground and a good games room for those that are interested.

Located adjacent to Lake Fyans, it is perfectly placed for those who love to canoe or boat. We brought our rods but fished elsewhere with mates. It's draw card is the beach I think which allows you to have a great time adjacent to the water whilst being safe enough for the little ones (provided you keep an eye on them).

It's 15min into Halls Gap which is right on the limit of "around the corner" and many other parks would be closer and more accessible to the main tourist attractions. However, the isolation is possibly a drawcard as well.

Overall, it was a nice place, with locals and "blow ins" friendly and approachable alike. The front desk service could have been a little warmer perhaps, but to be fair, we checked in and out with little trouble and no other issues to concern ourselves with.

But there's something untangible that Mrs Smerg's and I couldn't quite pinpoint that didn't put it in the same category as Lake Beaufort, and even Windmills. Perhaps it's that "unknown" quantity, difficult to quantify but with a nod, a look and a "you know what..." we both agreed we wouldn't hurry back. Having said that, the other end of the park where the unpowered sites were looked really nice, and my mate who camped down there swore he'd be back in a flash. At $20/n cheaper in the peak times, he might have a point...

Staff: 6/10
Facilities 7/10
Price: 7/10

Overall: 7/10
IMG_1376.JPG IMG_1380.JPG IMG_1396.JPG