Kia Sorento - Hyundai Santa Fe

funstopper

Apr 2, 2012
Central Coast, NSW
Hi guys,

Any thoughts on these vehicles as tow vehicles. Both are using the same 2.2L Diesel engine. I will be towing a 14.44-4 which I think is a little heavy for the Outlander with the 1500kg limit. The Kia diesel manual can tow 2500kg.

While I was away on my last holiday I did notice that every second person was towing with the Santa Fe.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Hi funstopper

A friend we go vanning with has a Santa Fe diesel and tows an outback jayco swan. He has no problems keeping up with us and our 14. Not sure how the heavier 14 would be but he is certainly happy with his setup.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Gday FS.go the sante Fe. I too see them towing a bit especially with grey nomads who seem to want trouble free towing.though don't we all.if we don't mod our diesel turbos that is.LOL.from my HTC.cheers.

Dec 23, 2011
Adelaide
I am currently towing a 16.49.1 with a 2.2ltr Turbo Desiel Santa Fe (auto). It does a great job. Not sure what the Ballweight is on the Kia but it is 150kg on the Santa Fe. It might pay to check this for the Kia

The Kia and Santa Fe use the same engine, gearbox etc, to me this would suggset that either of them could do the job.

jindiman

Feb 16, 2012
I have a 19.49.3 and tow with a Kia sorento and it does a fantastic job and is a auto aswell the santa fe and sorento come from the same factory just different doors, I went for the kia as there arn't as many on the road and liked the shape (in and out) better

funstopper

Apr 2, 2012
Central Coast, NSW
Thanks guys, I havent heard many bad reviews about the two vehicles. I was more looking at the Kia manual for the 2500kg towing capacity as we also have a 600C Haines Sigature which weighed at 2.18 tonnes. My other options would be a 2nd hand Pajero, Challenger, or Pathy.

I had a look at the Kia today at the dealer and I am impressed with the quality but I think I'm still guilty of being a brand snob.