Kedron Compact XC3

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
After our disappointment on 20th Dec 2014 with the Jayco 18.55-3 we ordered having a ball weight (263Kg) which we could not tow with our Pajero. We have been looking for a replacement van, this week we made a quick trip to Brisbane and looked at Kedron Caravans and we did a factory tour of the Kedron Factory. After spending 2hours with their designer we have placed an order for a Custom designed Kedron Compact XC3.

Unfortunately it will not be ready till August. So another multi month wait now starts for our new Van.
Below is a pic of the model van we are getting (with Mc Hitch), but with a custom interior that includes double bed, Waeco 215lt fridge, largish shower & toilet (1400mm x 695mm), Solar power (240W panels & 240AH storage), TV, folding table and several other extras.

It is smaller and a bit more expensive than our larger Jayco for which we waited 4 months, but we are really pleased with the layout of the new van. It is also a true off road van (see Gall boys videos, we will not be doing what they do). It looks like the van what we wanted all along. The budget just takes a bigger hit and again we wait.

We will of course still follow this great and very informative forum and still have a soft spot for Jayco, but you have to move on.

Kedron Compact XC3.jpg

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Nice, they must be turning out a few vans with that wait time, will be worth it though, good bunch of blokes up there.
If only they did a Pajero compatiable bunk van. :(

Reactions: yabbietol

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Nice, they must be turning out a few vans with that wait time, will be worth it though, good bunch of blokes up there.
If only they did a Pajero compatiable bunk van. :(
I am not sure, but I have seen on the Kedron Facebook page they delivered last November a Compact model in a bunk version. The Compact usually can legally be towed by a Prado or Pajero.

I am not sure but worth a look. :)

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Weight was also a major issue for us. :frusty:
Until recently I did not know about the Kedron Compact single axel range (tare below 2t and ATM below 2.5t). The Compact range are small and not cheap, but can be towed by normal medium 4WD; also I agree most of their larger vans are designed to be towed by a Landcrusier.
We did not want to get a new tow, so we compromised on space.:( Unfortunately Jayco seemed very rigid in their layout and options (like Waco compressor fridge only in some models) and after our disappointment before Xmas, we did a serious rethink and hence moved on.

Kedron are lighter than most timber framed vans, but generally more expensive. After looking at the factory I was impressed by their workmanship and the enthusiasm and knowledge of their employees in the factory, so ouch in the $$$.:)

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
to para phrase someone..........

"A mans got to do, what a mans got to do........................"

looks good, and I hope it is all that you hope for

you are right about the lack of "flexibility" with the Jayco's.................

good luck with ANOTHER wait

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
to para phrase someone..........

"A mans got to do, what a mans got to do........................"

looks good, and I hope it is all that you hope for

you are right about the lack of "flexibility" with the Jayco's.................

good luck with ANOTHER wait

A mans got to do,what a mans got to do ... with his wife's agreement
Jayco Sydney were great they just got back to me today with a very good price for the 16.51-3 Starcraft Outback, but no Waco fridge.
However, of course we will continue with the Kedron.

Last edited:

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
I'm sure you will be happy with the Kedron @yabbietol , if nothing else it gives you another reason to come to QLD for a visit!!
I think they usually recommend a stay over at Lawnton show grounds?? I used to work next door and would see a few Kedron's there from time to time and they all looked brand new, great time to visit here as well weather wise.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
I'm sure you will be happy with the Kedron @yabbietol , if nothing else it gives you another reason to come to QLD for a visit!!
I think they usually recommend a stay over at Lawnton show grounds?? I used to work next door and would see a few Kedron's there from time to time and they all looked brand new, great time to visit here as well weather wise.
My grandfather is buried in Queensland at Roma, he was a drover with two families (at the same time) one in Qld one in NSW.
He divorced my grandmother and then moved to Roma. So I guess I am sorta ÂĽ Queenslander by marriage.
On our first trip I intend to see if I can find his grave at Roma, my auntie (now deceased) found it many years ago.
Roma and back to Brisbane would be a good trip to do to get the Kms up for the first 1500km service, in August/September.

Then hopefully off to FNQ and Lawn Hill for first big trip before it gets too hot.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yeah a good plan.

Got me going @yabbietol had a lazy afternoon yesterday and chucked in the last gall DVD where they take the xc3 for a spin. Couldn't get better pedigree based on the treatment Dave dishes out.

Was interesting reading another review they stated the height was 10ft which is 3m. When I was building the shed I rang Kedron to see what height there vans were. Lady told me 3.2m and to make the shed door 3.3 which was impossible so I went ahead with my planed 3m door. I did tell here that the average shed used domestic doors which stopped at 3m, and boat manufacturers etc tried very hard to keep there product south of this, she didn't seem that interested. Wonder if they have missed a few sales and addressed it with the xc3 ?

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Yeah a good plan.

Got me going @yabbietol had a lazy afternoon yesterday and chucked in the last gall DVD where they take the xc3 for a spin. Couldn't get better pedigree based on the treatment Dave dishes out.

Was interesting reading another review they stated the height was 10ft which is 3m. When I was building the shed I rang Kedron to see what height there vans were. Lady told me 3.2m and to make the shed door 3.3 which was impossible so I went ahead with my planed 3m door. I did tell here that the average shed used domestic doors which stopped at 3m, and boat manufacturers etc tried very hard to keep there product south of this, she didn't seem that interested. Wonder if they have missed a few sales and addressed it with the xc3 ?
Funny you should say that about the height. I have been told to allow 3.1m (including air conditioner and 17' wheels), my new shed I built for the Jayco Outback has an opening of 3.3m high and 3.0m wide so should fit OK. Interestingly, the Jayco was quoted at 2.95m, but I always allow a bit of a safety margin, so should be fine.
My wife just bought me the set of Gall boy DVDs for my birthday, so I should watch the Kedron training" videos before August and September. I was told it at the factory it usually takes a couple of years before they put of bit of new kit on their caravans, because they want to test out the new kit in the bush first. I guess that is a part justification for the Gall boy DVDs.

Reactions: bigcol

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
We have just got back from a trip to Kedron in Brisbane and now have changed our caravan from a 14' to 16' this will be even more $, but gives us a full ensuite and a layout which we like better. The van's tare weight will be a little bit heavier, but still towable by the Pajero (ATM 2500Kg). It now has a door in front of the axel and the kitchen is in the middle with the ensuite across the back. It also has cafe seating, the layout is a bit like the 18' dual axel Jayco Starcraft we had on order, but whose extra weight stopped us from taking delivery.

We are still on track for delivery from Kedron in August.

Here is the new layout.

Colour layout.jpg

PS We have a double bed instead of queen size.