Kedron Compact CP5

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
We also have friends and relatives in SE Qld so the visit to Kedron once per year is also a catch up with relos and friends.

From the photos your delivery looks on track for December or even a bit earlier. We did a short local trip of 1500km to Murgon, Tara, etc when we picked up the van and took it back for its first service* and also picked up a second spare tyre at that first service and Kedron replaced a dripping tap.

* Note, that Kedron like many others does a 3 week Christmas shutdown.

This short trip was very useful as we also got the Dexter Stability Control (DSC) fitted by Vehicle Components in Brisbane (Kedron at the time did not fit DSC or ALKO ESC) so we had a chance to drive the van sans DSC and then back over some of the same roads with DSC. Made us very pleased with the $1500 spent on DSC, note we are still very pleased with DSC.

Two Anderson plugs sounds like 1 for DC to DC charger and the other for ESC. Good planing.

Regards

Terry

PS The only "local" NSW van service I trust is BC Caravans North Dubbo, there may be others but I would also trust Kedron and Vehicle Components.

Reactions: Bluey and PeterV

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
The van could have been ready earlier but we asked Lisa to push it back a bit. While I am retired, my wife still has a part time job and she had to miss quite a lot of work this year because her brother had a serious illness and passed away a short while ago. (That is also why we didn't follow through on our discussion about coming down to see you and your van.)

So rather than a special trip to pick up the van, we decided to postpone delivery until the annual holidays Louise already had booked. So instead of spending 2 weeks by the beach at Arakoon, we are spending 5 or so days going to Brisbane to pick up the van, spend some time with the family, then head back south to Arakoon.

We have a workshop close by called RV Go at Terrey Hills that serviced our Expander. Jayco Sydney were much further away, and to be honest, our experience with them was pretty awful. We had planned for RV Go to service the new van and we had spoken to both them and Kedron about it. Given your comments, we'll probably change the plans.

Yep, the 2 andersons are for the battery & the ESC.

Reactions: yabbietol

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Do not know much about van servicing in Sydney, though it is always good to have someone close for fixing the unexpected problem, so far we have made do with Kedron and BC Caravans in Dubbo.

Sorry about your family issues, our condolences.

Sounds like you have a good plan picking for picking up the van.

If you are heading down this way email us to check we are home and the invite still stands.

Reactions: PeterV

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
Thank you for the condolences, its been a tough year.

We want to do a lot of trips next year, I'll send you a message when we are in your part of the world. I look forward to catching up with you.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Looks very nice Peter, good to see they are still using our basic CP3 design after 4 years, but with some very nice improvements

I think you have done well in your options.

safe travels
Terry

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
Looks very nice Peter, good to see they are still using our basic CP3 design after 4 years, but with some very nice improvements

I think you have done well in your options.

safe travels
Terry

Thanks Terry, I think the biggest change since the CP3 is the box up front and the standardisation of the lithium battery set up. We’ve spent about 10 days in it now and are very happy. Can’t wait for our first big trip.

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
Peter a bit of envy from me, I I watched that video yesterday, ( I subscribe to the Kedron youtub channel). That is a nice van, as is the cruiser towing it.
Look forward to updates on the van and rabout the journey that this set up takes you on
Thanks @rags. We’ve finished our shakedown trip and very happy with the van, it is everything we hoped it would be (albeit we haven’t seriously tested it yet). I really liked our old Pajero, but the new cruiser is just in another class.

Mick & Shaz

Feb 16, 2020
Canberra
G'day all,

I am only new to caravaning and looking to buy a Kedron 16ft CP5, putting in our order next month.
Looking at all the rules and the weight calculations, it sucks that I failed math.....I am looking to buy a Mazda BT50 4x4 3.2Ltr Diesel Auto.

1. Mazda say 3.5t towing capacity but.....is it really
2. Do GVM upgrades actually allow for legally increased towing capacity
3. Will the BT50 do the trick ?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
Congratulations @Mick & Shaz, I’m sure you’ll be very happy with the CP5.

The CP5 is usually delivered with an aggregate trailer mass (ATM) of 2,750 kgs. I’ve just looked up the Mazda website for the weights of the BT50. It seems they have a gross combined mass (GCM) if 6,000 kgs and a gross vehicle mass (GVM) of around 3200 kgs. If you combine the GVM of the BT50 (3200) with the ATM of the CP 5 (2750) you end up with combined weight of 5950, just within your 6,000 GCM limit.

Someone else here may be able to correct me, but on my reading a GVM upgrade wouldn’t be necessary for the Kedron. In any case you could only increase GVM by 50 kgs before you run out of gross combined mass. It looks like you’ll have around 1000 kgs of payload to play around with. If you have any mods done to the BT50, such as bull bar, this will eat into your payload.

So it looks like the BT50 would do the job. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Mick & Shaz

rags

Mick&Shaz, I thought it worth noting that yesterday I stopped by the Kedron sales yard on Gympie road, Kedron and they had 3 demo CP5’s sitting in the yard ready to go, you don’t see that ever.
Depending on what specifically you were looking for in the way of build options, one of these models may suit and you wont need to wait the 12 month build time that I was told yesterday is the current wait for a custom build.
these units had differing battery systems interior colours and one had a twin single bed that had one bed elevated bunk style (not to my liking)

Like you we are considering and too would need a new tow vehicle and I did think the BT50 would be ok. Have you considered a V6 Amarock? plenty of power.

Anyway good luck with it all, the vans are a good package.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
G'day all,

I am only new to caravaning and looking to buy a Kedron 16ft CP5, putting in our order next month.
Looking at all the rules and the weight calculations, it sucks that I failed math.....I am looking to buy a Mazda BT50 4x4 3.2Ltr Diesel Auto.

1. Mazda say 3.5t towing capacity but.....is it really
2. Do GVM upgrades actually allow for legally increased towing capacity
3. Will the BT50 do the trick ?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers

1. The Mazda should be adequate
2. GVM upgrade can legally increase towing capacity, but with any twin cab or single cab ute you must be careful especially when off road or on rough roads of bending the ute chassis. Air bags added in utes rear suspension can exacerbate the bending problem.
3. It may be ok, but I would suggest a stronger vehicle body.

I personally am wary of towing a heavy caravan with a ute, it is always better for safety and handling if your tow vehicle is heavier than the caravan. The CP3 and the CP5 were designed to be legally towed behind a Prado (or Pajero). Note: Kedron seem to set up their vans for best towing behind a Toyota.

I originally towed my CP3 16' single axel with its ATM of 2500kg with a Pajero with upgraded rear suspension and though it was legal and worked it felt like the Pajero was working hard and could have been more stable (Especially towing at 100kmh). After 1 year of towing with the Pajero we bought our GX LC200 Landcrusier and have towed with it for 3 years in very remote country and we are much happier towing with the heavier and more powerful LC200 than the smaller engined and lighter Pajero.

The LC200 though more expensive has many advantages it tows the CP3 really well and does not work very hard. In remote locations I can often find a Toyota dealer in a town not too far away. If you talk to Kedron when you go to purchase your van you will find that they are very pro Toyota. My experience is that the Kedron is well set up to tow behind a Toyota Landcrusier rather than other makes of tow. The difference between what you can legally tow a single axel Kedron with and what works best is significant.

Many people tow with utes, also may people tow overweight vans, a ute towing a heavy van in rough terrain will work and is legal, but you are increasing the risk of bending the ute or fishtailing the van. Salesmen will sell utes for towing and unscrupulous caravan retailers will sell overweight caravans, but at least with Kedron one of the first questions they will ask you is what do you plan to tow your van with and they photograph you leaving the factory with your new van. This means at least when they sell it to you they are legally covered. After that it is up to you.

No matter what you do with tow vehicle, do a Tow-ed course and fit a sway control to your caravan.

Before deciding on tow vehicle visit Kedron and talk to their designer and see what they recommend as a tow they have a lot of experience and know best how their vans handle.

Good luck
Terry

Mick & Shaz

Feb 16, 2020
Canberra
Congratulations @Mick & Shaz, I’m sure you’ll be very happy with the CP5.

The CP5 is usually delivered with an aggregate trailer mass (ATM) of 2,750 kgs. I’ve just looked up the Mazda website for the weights of the BT50. It seems they have a gross combined mass (GCM) if 6,000 kgs and a gross vehicle mass (GVM) of around 3200 kgs. If you combine the GVM of the BT50 (3200) with the ATM of the CP 5 (2750) you end up with combined weight of 5950, just within your 6,000 GCM limit.

Someone else here may be able to correct me, but on my reading a GVM upgrade wouldn’t be necessary for the Kedron. In any case you could only increase GVM by 50 kgs before you run out of gross combined mass. It looks like you’ll have around 1000 kgs of payload to play around with. If you have any mods done to the BT50, such as bull bar, this will eat into your payload.

So it looks like the BT50 would do the job. Hope this helps.
Thanks @PeterV , it only takes the right explanation from someone and the penny drops, the calculations finally makes some sense - thanks again

Mick & Shaz

Feb 16, 2020
Canberra
Mick&Shaz, I thought it worth noting that yesterday I stopped by the Kedron sales yard on Gympie road, Kedron and they had 3 demo CP5’s sitting in the yard ready to go, you don’t see that ever.
Depending on what specifically you were looking for in the way of build options, one of these models may suit and you wont need to wait the 12 month build time that I was told yesterday is the current wait for a custom build.
these units had differing battery systems interior colours and one had a twin single bed that had one bed elevated bunk style (not to my liking)

Like you we are considering and too would need a new tow vehicle and I did think the BT50 would be ok. Have you considered a V6 Amarock? plenty of power.

Anyway good luck with it all, the vans are a good package.
Thanks @rags , we're happy to wait, a few things we need to take care of before picking up. Did consider the Amarock but swayed against it with the investigations I've come across.
Luckily, Sharon and I have got rid of our kids some time ago, definitely wouldn't need bunks....even for the grand-kids

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
Thanks @rags , we're happy to wait, a few things we need to take care of before picking up. Did consider the Amarock but swayed against it with the investigations I've come across.
Luckily, Sharon and I have got rid of our kids some time ago, definitely wouldn't need bunks....even for the grand-kids

@Mick & Shaz we also placed the order well before we actually wanted the van. When you know the lead time is 12 months you just bring forward the purchase decision. A good thing with Kedron (and Jayco) is that they only require a small deposit, and no progress payments, so you don’t have that added risk of your money being tied up for an extended period.