Starcraft Just Ordered the Starcraft Outback 17.58-3

Chrisv

Jan 30, 2015
Bundaberg
Hi All,

I have been a stalking this forum for a few weeks now and have finally taken the plunge to order a new Starcraft 17.58-3 Outback from our local dealer in Bundaberg. We are upgrading from from our 2012 Eagle Outback..........only had it for 18 months but see the time to upgrade as we want a few more comforts with the wife and our 2 kids age 10/6 (air con, internal toilet/shower) and the ability to spend much less time setting up or surviving some heavy rain/weather conditions.....which we encountered up at 1770 over the school holidays.

Our dealer has told us that the additions to the2015 model is below -
Euro-style push out windows with internal blinds
Wireless Lighting
Power Point with USB charging point
External TV Point
Non Slip Seat Bases
Bed Converter Extrusion standard
Standard TV Antenna Blocking
Upgraded Flyscreens
New Décor Colours
New Bedspread Colour – Quinten Silver

We also have included in our order
Wind up tv antenna
164ltr 3 way fridge
Roof mounted Truma Aventa air con
Fusion cd player with two internal and two external speakers
Pivotal tv bracket
Extended drawbar
Setec Drifter LCD Monitor

Overall its been great to read about a few of the issues and also pick up on some ideas that people have come up with. Our delivery is May 20

Keep up the great work on the forum and I look forward to sharing our experiences until delivery and any future trips!!!

I am very interested to hear about any stories or where people have taken the Starcraft Outback offroad and the capabilities when towing the van through certain terrain.

Thanks again
Chris

Chrisv

Jan 30, 2015
Bundaberg
Hey Dave & Colin/Sue..... Thanks very much, you'll have to take a few pics of the van at the show Dave.......enjoy! We were lucky Colin/Sue, the majority of the options were included in the van w viewed at the local Jayco dealer, they offered us the same van but in 2015 model less a few thousand...... So that was a huge bonus

Just can't edit for the delivery now :)

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Welcome wise choice of van and model :behindsofa:

Offroad Its commonsense there two tonne and 7m long. Don't expect to take it were you can take 1T camper trailer.
Had ours up the road from pooncarrie to menidee lakes and out to white cliffs and all surrounds. Got rained on and Having the van and cruiser crossed up sliding on mud is not something I ever need to do again :amen:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Had ours up the road from pooncarrie to menidee lakes and out to white cliffs and all surrounds. Got rained on and Having the van and cruiser crossed up sliding on mud is not something I ever need to do again :amen:

Wasn't fun cleaning of the mud.

IMG_7428.jpg

IMG_7429.jpg

Chrisv

Jan 30, 2015
Bundaberg
Hey All

Thanks very much for all the response.......it certainly seems that the Starcraft crew numbers are building, its great seeing a coiuple of pics too.

Jim: What suspension do you have on the 200 series?? I have the 200 series TTD also with stock standard suspension setup, be curious to hear how your setup is for the Starcraft.

Has anyone ventured over to Fraser Island with a Starcraft??? The darling wife has just booked in a trip with friends later in the year with friends

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hey All

Thanks very much for all the response.......it certainly seems that the Starcraft crew numbers are building, its great seeing a coiuple of pics too.

Jim: What suspension do you have on the 200 series?? I have the 200 series TTD also with stock standard suspension setup, be curious to hear how your setup is for the Starcraft.

Has anyone ventured over to Fraser Island with a Starcraft??? The darling wife has just booked in a trip with friends later in the year with friends

@Chrisv it's Lovells springs and shocks with GVM upgrade, more in the Tug thread http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/our-2013-landcruiser-200.3015/
Tows it well, I have airbags as well but not sure I need them. I find The starcraft 17:58-3 tows a tad better when the tanks are full.

Good luck, would love to do Fraser, when we going? Ha ha. Just remember the dual axles chew up the ground when turning etc so I could imagine it would be easy to bog down in sand.

Chrisv

Jan 30, 2015
Bundaberg
Just watched our Jayco Eagle drive away with the very happy new owners! So the delivery in May is getting closer, was nice to sell our Eagle so quickly after ordering the Starcraft.

Went back into the dealer yesterday or another look, we fired up the air con to have a listen to the Truma Aventa roof mount..........much to my surprise it was extremely quiet. We have heard a few stories about noises and complaints at Caravan Parks.......well I can honestly say I couldn't hear a thing while standing outside, it was on low fan speed set at 23deg. We walked back outside an spoke with the sales guy for maybe 5+ mins walked back in and it was very very cool. And internally the noise was minimal.......a definite thumbs up from us.

We only just realised that the bunks have a single reading light and double power point as well, so no need for the kids iPads, phones whatever else that needs charging all over e place.....funny how you notice these things second time around. We were also told that there is only one power point with the USB charger, it's located in the dinette..........at feet/ankle level.

And also used the new Dometic windows( they wherein a Journey) that will be standard in the 2015 models.......holy crap are they good.....it opens in 3 set positions (great airflow and improvement), the pull down screens are awesome and the inbuilt roller blinds are very very impressive! If you get a chance have a look at the local dealer, great addition to this years range. Our kids want another look so we are heading back again tomorrow......