Just ordered an Expanda 17-56-2 Outback

Tim Roberts

Oct 6, 2016
Sunshine Coast
Hey,
Very excited!!
We just ordered an Expanda 17-56-2 from Jayco at the Gold Coast.
Here are the specs:

Outback Expanda
150W solar
Basic Fusion package
Wine guard antenna
19.5 inch TV and bracket
Picnic Table
Coast Control Panel
300mm A frame extender
Shelves to robe
Storm Covers
Two extra Power Points
Total package: $51000

7 years ago we had a Hawk and loved it but our first two children (now 16 and 14) got to the point where they refused to share a bed.

Now we have a four year old as well and we really want to have more family time. I also needed the opportunity to get away for weekends away to unwind from work.

We actually hired an identical (albeit 5 year old van) last weekend and took it from the sunshine coast done to the god coast and had an amazing time all together, hence we signed the contract and paid the deposit.

This was such a good thing to do cuz we managed to see the little things that frustrated us and what we wanted changed. Sure there will be more. But it was good start.

Delivery 16th December.

My wife and I are so excited.

We knew it was coming as we just bought a new Mazda BT-50 two months ago. I have to say, what a truck. It towed the van over the weekend like a dream. Didn't even know it was there.

16th December, hmmmm, its only 72 days away.

Feel like a little kid.

So dam excited.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Great stuff Tim and just in time for Christmas. It will be here before you know it. Just a thought if you are going to go to a caravan park over the Xmas break you better book in if you haven't already?

Tim Roberts

Oct 6, 2016
Sunshine Coast
Great stuff Tim and just in time for Christmas. It will be here before you know it. Just a thought if you are going to go to a caravan park over the Xmas break you better book in if you haven't already?
Hey. Yes. As we are picking it up at the Gold Coast we have booked in for five nights at Helensvale directly opposite movie world. That way the kids can go to all the theme parks while I play around in the van and check everything out.
This way I can also easily take it back to the dealer if there are any issues
How is your van going?? Been following your posts for a while now.

Reactions: bigcol and 17triton

numbez

Oct 29, 2014
Yarra Valley, Victoria
Hey @Tim Roberts excellent choice! We have the same van only a few years older than yours. Perfect solution between space and size in my opinion. First modification you need is a diesel heater. Have fun with the wait, it's a hard slog but worth it.

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Hey. Yes. As we are picking it up at the Gold Coast we have booked in for five nights at Helensvale directly opposite movie world. That way the kids can go to all the theme parks while I play around in the van and check everything out.
This way I can also easily take it back to the dealer if there are any issues
How is your van going?? Been following your posts for a while now.
Sounds great Tim. Yeah our van is going great and using it as much as we can when it works in with work rosters.

Reactions: bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Not me....I'm too mingy.......

Or @Drover .....he's paying for a new house

Now I think of it....I still have to buy a new van.....but I'm getting used to setting up vans, then selling them.

You'd think I'd learn.

But you too can have fun with the constant checking, measuring, making lists, drawing diagrams, trying to think outside the square....etc etc

Have fun @Tim Roberts

Tim Roberts

Oct 6, 2016
Sunshine Coast
OMG. Time is gooooiiinnngg soooo sslllooowwwllllyyyy. How do people pass the time between order and delivery? 57 days to go. There are only so many times I can read the expanda brochure.
Hmmmm. Off to the Sunshine Coast caravan show this weekend. That should pass some time.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Take a tape measure and a list of things you want to check so you can spend some of the waiting time doing multiple detailed plans of the layout, where you think you'll stow stuff etc
  • Width of tunnel boot for example or length of draw bar
  • Height of cupboard interior so the coffee machine has a home
  • Available space under fridge stove seats etc
  • Download the destructions for the fridge, the stove, the hot water system etc so you can read them before delivery...you'll be too busy and forget later
  • Etc etc
That's how we spend our time during the dreaded wait.

You did ask.

:o

MBC004

Feb 3, 2014
I ordered almost the same van , but I pick mine up on the 8th from jayco Gold Coast , ok service but good pricing, again a good way to kill time is to look through the forum

My first mod is going to be putting the washing machine in

Tim Roberts

Oct 6, 2016
Sunshine Coast
I ordered almost the same van , but I pick mine up on the 8th from jayco Gold Coast , ok service but good pricing, again a good way to kill time is to look through the forum

My first mod is going to be putting the washing machine in
Hmmmm. Good idea. Where will you be putting it?

MBC004

Feb 3, 2014
Modify the cupboard just inside the door on the lh side, I saw it on here and it a great how to guide

Tim Roberts

Oct 6, 2016
Sunshine Coast
IMG_2537.jpg
IMG_2537.jpg
IMG_2538.jpg
OK. Finally. Our expanda has arrived at the dealer. It has been a long wait. Only three more sleeps to go. Yippee. Just as well as I'm not sure I could chew my fingernails down any further in anticipation. Its been getting a little embarrassing explaining to people why I have had to wrap my hands up in bandages the last 8 weeks. Anyway. I move on. We are picking our van up on Friday. So, Mrs Roberts and the three smaller Roberts' are travelling from the Sunshine Coast down to Tweed Heads on Friday morning to pick up our new van. Sooooo excited. I have some photos of the new van here that the dealer has sent me this afternoon. Can anybody tell me if the protector that surrounds the gas canisters is standard now or is it an extra?? It doesn't seem to be in the images??

Attachments

• IMG_2539.jpg
    IMG_2539.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_2540.jpg
    IMG_2540.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 278