June long weekend

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi all,

Looking forward to Thursday as were off to Gloucester again for the long weekend, it's about 130km NW of Newcastle. It's a great spot on the river and we go with 5 other families. The kids love to play along the river bank building cubbies, riding bikes etc while the adults enjoy a few drinks and a good yarn around the drum fires. One day we took a day trip up to the barrington tops, about 1hr drive and a bit hairy on the slippery dirt tracks up the mountain as the logging trucks dont slow down. When we got up there traces of snow from the night before were sill visible and at one camp site these young blokes were standing around the fire, drink in hand and no shirts on....I guess they were numb!

Last year we had a fair bit of rain and the kids found a big mud slide....very funny to watch and a few of the big kids had a go also although I chose to watch and take photos, then the big boys decided to wash off in the freezing river thanks to a few numbing beers. One morning some bright spark said whoever didn't have a beer by 9am they had to have swim....needless to say no one got wet! It can get pretty cold up there with frosts on some mornings but that doesn't stop the fox's coming around looking for scraps.

When we left that weekend the ground was so mushy my mate in his prado got bogged in 4wd pulling out his 18 footer and had to be snatched out, and the park was evacuated the next day due to the rising river, how lucky were we? Anyway a great time had but hopefully not too much rain this time!
As for the weather this year it looks like the mud slide will be on again....:)

Cheers.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I went to Barrington a month ago with some mates for a tents only weekend. Thats whole area to fantastic, hope you have fun!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Really can't wait to get away tomorrow and leave my gas heating+reverse cycle air, not to mention my king size bed for a wet and cold weekend....but some one has to do it....right? Once your booked you gotta go....isn't that how it goes!

Cheers.