JS4910's new MY18 19.61-3 Journey

JS4910

Sep 21, 2016
Gladstone Central Qld
Hi All,

Our old 17.58-1 OB went off to a lovely young family in Rockhampton in January and since December we have been patiently awaiting the arrival of it's replacement.

With our intention of setting off on an indefinite lap we reconsidered things that are must haves for full time life on the road rather than just making do for a month or so at a time, and the few big things that we couldn't work around with the 17.58 were, full sized fridge and freezer, built in shower and toilet, and main bed size. Some can be worked around but in the end the less you have to do each time you stop the more likely you will keep at it, well that's my theory anyway.
With this in mind we looked around at what would fit these new criteria but remain in our budget and weight tow capabilities. Given the great run we had with the 17.58 it was hard to go past Jayco although we did look at a few other makes.

In the end we settled for the 19ft Jayco Starcraft as if filled all the requirements pretty much perfectly, it was order on the 20th December 2017 with the following extra's added via the factory,
Extended drawbar
Center mount Jockey wheel
External Picnic Table
Grey water tank 60lt
600kg payload and suspension upgrade
2nd gas bayonet
Offside awning light
External shower
Upgraded solar to 2 x 160W panels
Offside sail track
2 x 100ah batteries
L Shaped dinette with MAPA table
Full Leather trim
Washing Machine
218lt Compressor Fridge Freezer
Larger front roof hatch 700x500
Privacy curtain across main bed

In the process Jayco changed model names and features to Journey from Starcraft, and we ended up getting some nice additions at no extra cost like, Tuff Frame constuction/Smooth walls, Ceramic dunny, J Panel control screen, Ibis 3 A/C, all up quite a few thousand $$$ saving as these were all $$ add on's in the MY17 range.

I have a couple of items I am adding in the coming weeks like, 12v fans, diesel heater, SOG dunny vent, AFK, Stonestomper and then we should be ready to hit the road hopefully before the end of May.
20180424_135605.jpg

Last edited:

JS4910

Sep 21, 2016
Gladstone Central Qld
Nice van @JS4910 . May I ask what's AFK? Also what's the reasoning behind the dunny vent install? Keen to find out thanks :)

AFK is anti flap Kit for the awning, it helps brace it as well as stops the ends flapping, and with the addition of a couple of curved roof rafters prevents water pooling and damaging the awning. Oh and they also allow the fitment of end walls/screens as the AFK has sailtrack built in, google Aussie traveller for more info.

The SOG system is a forced aeration of the toilet cassette, it increases the breakdown process whilst removing the odour through carbon filters, meaning no chemicals required and no smell when the flap is opened..........................................................hopefully:o:o:oops:

Eddii

Jun 28, 2017
Burua Central QLD 4680
AFK is anti flap Kit for the awning, it helps brace it as well as stops the ends flapping, and with the addition of a couple of curved roof rafters prevents water pooling and damaging the awning. Oh and they also allow the fitment of end walls/screens as the AFK has sailtrack built in, google Aussie traveller for more info.

The SOG system is a forced aeration of the toilet cassette, it increases the breakdown process whilst removing the odour through carbon filters, meaning no chemicals required and no smell when the flap is opened..........................................................hopefully:o:o:oops:

Thanks for that, I learn something new everyday ;) Cross fingers about the smell or lack of:D
I assume this will be running on 12V right? If the carbon filters are gone, then would your neighbouring caravanner smell this?

Reactions: JS4910

Tripper

May 13, 2017
Moranbah
Nice van, when did you take delivery JS4910? We are waiting for ours to arrive later this month, same model.
That's a nice list of extras!
I will be interested to hear how the fridge performs on your free camping trips.
Enjoy!

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi All,

Our old 17.58-1 OB went off to a lovely young family in Rockhampton in January and since December we have been patiently awaiting the arrival of it's replacement.

With our intention of setting off on an indefinite lap we reconsidered things that are must haves for full time life on the road rather than just making do for a month or so at a time, and the few big things that we couldn't work around with the 17.58 were, full sized fridge and freezer, built in shower and toilet, and main bed size. Some can be worked around but in the end the less you have to do each time you stop the more likely you will keep at it, well that's my theory anyway.
With this in mind we looked around at what would fit these new criteria but remain in our budget and weight tow capabilities. Given the great run we had with the 17.58 it was hard to go past Jayco although we did look at a few other makes.

In the end we settled for the 19ft Jayco Starcraft as if filled all the requirements pretty much perfectly, it was order on the 20th December 2017 with the following extra's added via the factory,
Extended drawbar
Center mount Jockey wheel
External Picnic Table
Grey water tank 60lt
600kg payload and suspension upgrade
2nd gas bayonet
Offside awning light
External shower
Upgraded solar to 2 x 160W panels
Offside sail track
2 x 100ah batteries
L Shaped dinette with MAPA table
Full Leather trim
Washing Machine
218lt Compressor Fridge Freezer
Larger front roof hatch 700x500
Privacy curtain across main bed

In the process Jayco changed model names and features to Journey from Starcraft, and we ended up getting some nice additions at no extra cost like, Tuff Frame constuction/Smooth walls, Ceramic dunny, J Panel control screen, Ibis 3 A/C, all up quite a few thousand $$$ saving as these were all $$ add on's in the MY17 range.

I have a couple of items I am adding in the coming weeks like, 12v fans, diesel heater, SOG dunny vent, AFK, Stonestomper and then we should be ready to hit the road hopefully before the end of May.View attachment 60452
Thats a nice van @JS4910. I like the east west bed idea particularly in a larger van such as yours, I can only see such wasted space with traditional van double bed set ups. That may well be the first genuine contender to move me away from the Expanda. Im curious about the suspension upgrade for your 600kg payload. Our OB ATM is 3ton, and we have just under 600kg payload with the standard JTech suspension

Whats the plan with the lap. Selling up? Permanent nomads? Working Holiday? .... come on, spill it

Last edited:

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
This is pretty much exactly what I had priced up in Perth yesterday but they told me that will not relocate the jockey wheel.
I also questioned them why they charge $1800 for a "Upgrade" to a cheaper fridge and was told that they had to change the cabinets.
Can I ask what you ended up paying as we tend to get screwed over here for pricing.

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Gee wizz I just mentioned in another thread we are looking at one on Friday, just the 18' as there is only the 2 of us, looks sensational and glad you managed to jag the new model

JS4910

Sep 21, 2016
Gladstone Central Qld
Thanks for that, I learn something new everyday ;) Cross fingers about the smell or lack of:D
I assume this will be running on 12V right? If the carbon filters are gone, then would your neighbouring caravanner smell this?

It comes with spare carbon filters, and from my investigations they last a long time so the neighbors can safely use their pegs for their washing not their noses, plus the vent fan can be turned off and reverted back to the chemical concoction as required.

Reactions: Eddii

JS4910

Sep 21, 2016
Gladstone Central Qld
Gee wizz I just mentioned in another thread we are looking at one on Friday, just the 18' as there is only the 2 of us, looks sensational and glad you managed to jag the new model
We ordered a Starcraft in December only to be told that they are now discontinued and replaced by the Journey, we were a little disappointed as we liked the Starcraft branding/name, but were soon appeased when they told us all the new standard extras at no price increase.

Reactions: DRW

JS4910

Sep 21, 2016
Gladstone Central Qld
Thats a nice van @JS4910. I like the east west bed idea particularly in a larger van such as yours, I can only see such wasted space with traditional van double bed set ups. That may well be the first genuine contender to move me away from the Expanda. Im curious about the suspension upgrade for your 600kg payload. Our OB ATM is 3ton, and we have just under 600kg payload with the standard JTech suspension

Whats the plan with the lap. Selling up? Permanent nomads? Working Holiday? .... come on, spill it

The plan is to have no plan and travel for as long as we still enjoy it or are able to finance it, this will at some stage require work stints here and there to keep the diesel and beer flowing, which I'm happy to do, along the way we will be keeping an eye out for our own chunk of this great land, but it may take a few passes to confirm it's the right nirvana for us....................lol

The trip was always going to happen, but probably planned in some way down the track but I lost both my parents last year 6 months apart and it changed the perspective on live, so now we are just going and worry about the small stuff as we get to it.

JS4910

Sep 21, 2016
Gladstone Central Qld
This is pretty much exactly what I had priced up in Perth yesterday but they told me that will not relocate the jockey wheel.
I also questioned them why they charge $1800 for a "Upgrade" to a cheaper fridge and was told that they had to change the cabinets.
Can I ask what you ended up paying as we tend to get screwed over here for pricing.

With my list of extra's it came in at just on $69K rrp, we bought off the same dealer we purchased our 17.58-1 off and again they looked after us exceptionally well, I could have probably pushed them for $500 or $1K more but the service they provide is worth it, and I know that not too many other dealers would come close anyway as I did price check.

In the end we drove it out the yard for $63.5K with everything on that list.

I believe there is a modle price increase in June from Jayco, probably a cpl $K per van, as we got around $3-4K of inc extras that are now standard, eg tuff frame/smooth walls, Ceramic crapper, IBIS 3 A/C, J Panel ( new Drifter) etc

JS4910

Sep 21, 2016
Gladstone Central Qld
I think your dealer needs to try harder, unless you didn't opt for the extended drawbar then the gas bottle cover may not be able to swing down properly? I actually got both positions on mine, they must have stuffed up somewhere but it wasnt an afterwards add on so all good, I'll utilise the side one for something handy I'm sure.............................lol

I would happily pay the extra for piece of mind, knowing the fridge is going to do it's job in all weather conditions and at any angle we set up at, after all this is our house for the next when ever. And yes there is a bit of stuffing around with the cabinetry as it is so much bigger than the 175lt 3way, microwave goes above the rangehood too.