JohngQld's Fortitude 19'6 Holiday

JohngQld

Jun 17, 2015
Caboolture, Qld
Our search for a new van began during lockdown last year, not a good time to be looking as many businesses were closed. Looking at a few interstate vans, you needed to to apply online for a brochure or any meaningful details. Suddenly I had new best friends ring me each day asking if I was ready to buy. First and foremost, it had to have single beds. Lots of Googling and you can find any amount of double beds but not too many single bed options. Even though some say it is an option, they don't have a floor plan or pictures.
I remember seeing a Fortitude van with single beds at the Brisbane show in 2018 but by that time we had already signed up for the Journey. Fortitude vans are an exclusive to Brisbane RV at Burpangary, Qld just a few suburbs from us. With the projected delivery at that stage in March, there was plenty of time to customize a few things. Single bed layouts traditionally have the wardrobe in the middle between the two beds but I had seen the Conifer 660 single bed version that had just a dressing table between the beds opening up the area and making it less claustrophobic. We then came across an earlier Fortitude which had the wardrobes at the bed end ends so we are now having a custom built interior. The van is the same as the double bed unit up to the ends of the kitchen and dinette but the bedroom is what is different. I also had the microwave lowered so I can see inside it. The electrics are all in one cupboard above the bi fold table making it the easiest to get of anything I had previously.
Although a few hurdles and lots of waiting, we couldn't be happier with the result and I can't thank Martitia (Marty) enough for her persistence in getting it together for us.
We've added a slide out Camp Kitchen to the boot area and my BBQ box came off the Jayco and is now on the rear bumper. It's about 180kg on the ball and around 2400Kg so a Hayman Reese Weight Distribution hitch went on the Jeep along with the dealer installed Anti Sway Control.

IMG_7018sm.JPG IMG_7141sm.JPG IMG_7143sm.JPG IMG_7228sm.jpg

IMG_7145sm.JPG IMG_7230sm.jpg IMG_7226sm.jpg IMG_7231sm.jpg

JohngQld

Jun 17, 2015
Caboolture, Qld
We managed to get away for 3 weeks during October dodging the storms almost a daily occurrence. This gave me plenty of time to think about what I wanted to add to make the whole thing work better. The Kakadu Sunscreen worked a treat along the the Anti Flap kits. The fence panel sits across the drawbar and they are strapped to the spare tyre for travelling, they're not going anywhere. Probably the best set up we've had. The BBQ Oven on the slideout is a bit hard to see.

IMG_7342.JPG IMG_7345.JPG

Our labby wouldn't settle down on the first night and the sound of her nails on the lino floor meant there wasn't much sleep to be had. Off to Bunnings the next morning to get Carpet squares, knife and a ply to use as cutting table. Couple of hours later the floor is now carpeted with easy to remove squares. Didn't hear a peep from her after that. picked up a Makita 18 volt vacuum cleaner to give it a quick going over once a day.

IMG_7417.JPG

The BBQ oven on the slide out was exceptional except for the lack of light so a couple of led torches were used while there. Found the same annex light as what is already on the van and this is now mounted in the centre above the slide out. We picked up the power for it from the the bedside lamp.

IMG_7539sm.JPG

The TV is usually mounted to the back of the wardrobe section great if you want to watch TV in bed but not if you want to watch something from the dining area especially the front position. Managed to reposition it while away but added the cable entry and exit point along with running the cables inside the wardrobe. Much neater all-round. The TV has a NCE Sound bar along with a Sony Set top box so we can stream Foxtel for sports.

TVSmall.jpg TvpointInt.jpg Tvpoint2.jpg

Looking a bit long term and maybe off grid, the idea a battery monitor seemed like the thing to do. I settled on a Vitron Smart guage which also has Bluetooth connection. Mounting display and running the cable to the battery was relatively easy but there wasn't room in the battery compartment to mount the Shunt, Also being open exposure to water and dirt from the wheels, it didn't look like the best way to do it. A diecast box with a rubber seal bolted to the side complete with glands ensures it will be good for years to come.

IMG_7527.JPG IMG_7529.JPG

Rivershore hosted the Hot Rod show the first weekend we were there. Some absolutely fantastic machinery and the best part, not an ECU in sight. Holley 4 barrels still have a place and I hope they always will.

hotrods.JPG hotrod2.JPG