Jockey wheel 16-49.1

Salz

Feb 27, 2013
Para Hills SA
Having trouble putting the WDH on our 16-49.1 with the jockey wheel on outside of the A frame and considering relocating it to the inside of the frame. Have noticed that the brake cable runs along the inside of the frame and this may make it difficult/impossible. Does anyone with a 16-49.1 have their jockey wheel on the inside of the frame and is it still readily accessible?
Cheers Salz
PS Have tried putting the opposite side on first but still difficult.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
We have a Hayman Reece WDH on our 16.49-1 and it fits no problems. Even with the location of the jockey wheel on the outside.
What brand WDH do you have? Some have longer bars than others.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Firstly, welcome Salz, love the avatar! have you thought about having a centre bar welded between the sides of the a frame with the jockey wheel clamp mounted on it. The jockey wheel will then fit between the handbrake cables. This is how Jayco have it set up on their Sterling range. Somewhere like Gawler Caravans would be able to do that reasonably quickly for you.

cheers. Cracka

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
G'day Salz, welcome mate. I use a HR wdh on our 18 with the jockey wheel on the outside of A frame, I just put opposite side on first then remove jockey wheel and put that side on, I don't have any dramas.

Cheers.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Sorry Salz, I should clarify, we do same as Burnsy, opposite side first, then remove jockey wheel.
I thought you meant your snap up bracket was at the same point at your jockey wheel bracket....
I'm hopeless!

icetechaus

Nov 21, 2012
If you can try using a longer breaker bar to decrease the amount of force you have to use. Twice the length equals half the effort.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I have a bracket on the inside of the A frame and it does fit in without fouling the brake cable.

I never had a problem fitting the WDH bars as the van was already on the car so I removed the dolly wheel before fitting them.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
You can also use your jockey wheel to reduce the amount of force required to lift the wdh bars. When hitching up only lower the jockey wheel enough so that your hitch is on the ball and no more, that will make it easier!

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
You can also use your jockey wheel to reduce the amount of force required to lift the wdh bars. When hitching up only lower the jockey wheel enough so that your hitch is on the ball and no more, that will make it easier!

once the coupling is locked, wind the jockey wheel back up and it lifts the car, takes all the pressure of the bars.

Reactions: Burnsy

Salz

Feb 27, 2013
Para Hills SA
Thanks everyone for your input. As mentioned in my initial post I do leave the jockey wheel on and raise it and the car to take the pressure off when fitting the bars. However, with the jockey wheel on the outside of the A frame it hits on the bar on that side making it difficult to connect the chain on the correct link and then to remove the jockey wheel which is forced tightly between the bar and the A frame. Hence my solution of relocating the jockey wheel to the inside of the A frame and was wondering if anyone else with a 16.49-1 has done this and any difficulties they may have had with the brake cable.

Regards Salz

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Hi Salz. As others have said it depends on the brand of WDH you have and it sounds like you are leaving the jockey wheel on when hooking up to that side. As Burnsy and Lara have recommended jack it up, fit the opposite side, lower the jockey wheel and REMOVE it, then hook up the side where the jockey wheel is (after it is removed). Have a 16.49-3 model using Hayman Reese 250lb WDH and can almost hook the second bar up without the pipe for leverage.

Reactions: Burnsy

icetechaus

Nov 21, 2012
The other question is are you taking up too much tension on the WDH on the HR there are cam washers that can be used to rotate the angle of tongue assembly. If the tongue is rotated at a downward angle it will increase the amount of force required to lift the bars. It may pay to have this checked out. Of course if it is rotated too much in the other direction the WDH is going to be no use.