Starcraft Jayco Starcraft 17.58-1 Towing advice

**Matt@!

Sep 1, 2014
Hi All

Very new here with no caravaning experience, so please be nice!

I am looking to hire the above van most likely from Getaway Caravan Hire in Adelaide. Reasons for hiring is I like the idea of taking the wife and kids out but not sure if we would use it much and we have no-where to store it. Please feel free to give feedback on the hirer if this is allowed or if I should be aware of hiring any vans from any places :)

We have a VF commodore SV6 sportwagon with HD towbar rated to 2100kg and towball max weight of 210kg. So I believe the above starcraft is well within weights even when loaded. Has/Does anyone tow the same or similar weighted van behind a commodore? Was thinking of getting a tow pro or similar for the electric brakes.

Im just after some opinions or advice at this stage and I haven't booked anything yet and wont for a little while.

Thanks

Reactions: Delano

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Hi @**Matt@! and welcome. No experience with the hire company but the SV6 will be an excellent tow vehicle. Have a read of this too. Others will comment on the tow pro (I have the non proportional, previous Redarc model) but pretty sure that's what I'd have if I was in the market again.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
hiring is a good idea
lets you "try before you buy"
and you will...............because Hiring is ok, but you have to put up with what they have, and how it is, and you have o change to make it suit

I dont know of the mob you have stated, but we do see alot of those "Crikey" hire vans over this way in Wait Awhile..........

but apart from that

yes you Holden will tow the Van - fuel will be your biggest sore point
if you are going to get the electric brakes setup, go for the better end of the market - Towpro - set and forget

Reactions: Delano and dagree

**Matt@!

Sep 1, 2014
thanks for the replies, appreciate the feedback. Looks good that the good ol' commodore will do its job once again without the need for an SUV! Alos I figured the fuel will be an issue but for us it isn't really as its not like we will be going round aust in it, probably a week away at most!

Will look to get the towpro sorted out (handy having wholesale accounts :)) and go from there!

cheers

**Matt@!

Sep 1, 2014
Also, any thoughts on if I would need a WDH or increased springs, etc in the commodore... im hoping not too as its not going to be for long term and wish to retain factory driving feel, etc.

thanks

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
you may have to up the rear springs............
or put Air Shockies in
the camber on the commondoor rear wheels is not the best for towing