Jayco factory tour

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I would recommend the factory tour to anyone in Melbourne. It was very informative, took two hours and amazed at how big the factories are. It wasn't expanda week so only saw Sterlings, Starcrafts, Flamingos and Motorhomes being built. I was surprised to find out that the Starcrafts have been massive sellers. The owner Gerry Ryan is a very smart cookie. I did not know all the other stuff he does. It would make a good book.

For those swan/camper owners, they have gone back to aluminium sides. Have never seen that in any of the brochures! If they did not tell you, you would never know.

Geoff

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Did you do the tour today?

I should book in one of these days I pass the factory weekly. Are all the campers going alumimium or just the onroads? Did they say why it seems like a step backwards to me.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Yes did the tour today, I drive by it a lot but it is bigger when you are there. Campers have all gone back to aluminium from what we were told. I think it was a supply issue. You would never know and it probably really does not matter that much anyway. Thay still look the same. It would not change my decision making if I wanted one.

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Alli vs. fiberglass... I would be upset if my van came with alli panels on the outside and I didn't know. Reason being that alli would be much more prone to little dings/dents from everyday use...

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
It is not vans, just campers. It is sandwiched together with other strong materials so it looks quite thick and strong. So once again definately not vans.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Alli vs. fiberglass... I would be upset if my van came with alli panels on the outside and I didn't know. Reason being that alli would be much more prone to little dings/dents from everyday use...
I understood that to be the exact reason they went away from ali
But then they switch backed and forth a few times in the past 10 years
??