Jayco dropping two expandas from its range 16.49.2 and 14.44.3

salsimo

Mar 14, 2011
Vic sthest Melbourne
Jayco have decided to drop the 16.49.2 from its range and replace it with the 16.49.4 .If you look at Jayco web site and look up floor plans for these model it states only stock at dealer available ,i also follow Jayco on facebook and they reply to a question re 16.46.2 that it had been dropped from range spoke to page bros when order our 17.56,1 early in the year and said that sales had drop huge since 17.56.1 had come on line.looking forward to seeing layout of 16.49,4

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
Looks looks like our 18.57.8 might be one of the last as well.....Maybe we can sell it as limited edition then :)

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
What was there reason behind dropping the 14'' I thought it would have been a bit of a hit with the easy towing size do you know?
(I'm not on facebook :gossip: :violin:)

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
I am with you chartrock.

That's not good, the 16.49-2 is perfect for us with the 4 kids. Also the towing weight keeps it available for AWD's (< 2000 kg) without going to the dual axle to get a bunk version.

Hopefully they keep the bunks with dual beds available cause that might be our next van when our existing second hand 16.49-2 gets replaced.

Thanks salsimo, keep us posted.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
So far the only details we have are what is posted on the forum....

1) 16.49.2 dropped
2) 18.57.8 dropped
3) 14 Shower toilet dropped (Rumor)???

The new models we know of are

1) 18.57.5 - This is the same van as it has been but with a separate toilet and shower
2) 16.49.4 - This will be the same as the 17.56.2 / 1 but in a 16ft layout
3) 14 not sure on this one

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I heard a rumor the other day that Jayco have sent production of their campers off shore to China so they can consentrate on the production of the of stuff here in Aus, I seriously hope this isn't true:mmph:

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
What a shocking rumor. I hope not true!!

I couldn't see that being cost effective for them. For the volume of parts they order they get significant discounts. To continue with those discounts, they'd have to have those parts shipped over to China, and then the finished units back again. I'm guessing that would make up a large portion of any savings by getting it done there. And then the increase in warranty claims.....

However, as a building designer/consultant, I worked on the documentation for the next building on site early last year which was supposedly for a sole Starcarft assembly line (rather than combined with one of the other ones), so they are still expanding the Dandy site. I was told the land size is huge and plans for more buildings......

I needed to email one of their managers about something a few minutes ago, so added the question. We'll see if they answer.....

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
What a shocking rumor. I hope not true!!

I couldn't see that being cost effective for them. For the volume of parts they order they get significant discounts. To continue with those discounts, they'd have to have those parts shipped over to China, and then the finished units back again. I'm guessing that would make up a large portion of any savings by getting it done there. And then the increase in warranty claims.....

However, as a building designer/consultant, I worked on the documentation for the next building on site early last year which was supposedly for a sole Starcarft assembly line (rather than combined with one of the other ones), so they are still expanding the Dandy site. I was told the land size is huge and plans for more buildings......

I needed to email one of their managers about something a few minutes ago, so added the question. We'll see if they answer.....

So your the one who camps on the Jayco Nature strip then :flame:

It would yake a lot of logistics for it to be suucessful I would imagine? Imagine the waiting time if it did go off shore

Drizzlingje

Oct 27, 2011
I'm certain they would have tested this. $1500 clams for a container from shanghai to Melbourne to transport one van could cover the cheaper manufacture costs in chine. However then there is local port charges, local transport and customs clearances (which are all some of the highest in the world) that can quickly add up to a total of $2500 onto the cost. I still think that importing the componentry semi manufactured/flat packed and assembling the vans in dandenong would be the cheapest model. If they stock piled completed vans in chine it would actually speed up the ordering delay in comparison to the current waits. Good luck making any design changes though, that's when things would really get balls'd up. Hopefully it's all kept here and the boys in dandenong keep having their production floor silicone war games.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
UPDATE:
heard back from Jayco today on a few issues for my van. In the response to the post scripted china question, the answer is:

"Also the camper rumour is exactly that, a rumour. We will be building campers here for a long time yet. I tend to go on the theory of believe half of what you see and none of what you hear ."