Jayco Discovery

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi all, yes I said it :) "Jayco Disocvery" :)

Does anyone know some with the dual axle 17" bunk model with shower toilet?

Look for some feedback on it and pics etc......

And I know what your thinking yes I am going to do the dark side :)

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I don't know anyone with one but they are a very nice looking van.

I always take a look inside one when I get the chance. :happy: I'll be keeping an eye on this thread :peep:

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I haven't been inside that model but I checked out the jayco website and It looks like a very practable layout.

Would you go the OB again? The tare weight of the onroad sounds good in std trim before extras also for a 17''

I guess the only thing a full sized van lacks is ventilation in warmer climates because the bed end windows cant be opened, but alot of people have them. On the plus side no wet canvas to contend with.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I guess the other thing is, is the spare wheel still mounted on the rear wall of the van.

I'd maybe consider changing that as it could put alot of stress on the wall over time. :noidea: especially if doing a lot of corrugations.

Also if the weather isn't favourable and the kids go to bed in the bunks where do you sit at night and you want to sit up? (My wife thought of this :whistle:)

Are We There Yet?

Jun 24, 2011
Vic
I just had a look at that model on the Jayco website, and I like it very much. Can I ask what the approx cost is for that van?

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
I haven't been inside that model but I checked out the jayco website and It looks like a very practable layout.

Would you go the OB again? The tare weight of the onroad sounds good in std trim before extras also for a 17''

I guess the only thing a full sized van lacks is ventilation in warmer climates because the bed end windows cant be opened, but alot of people have them. On the plus side no wet canvas to contend with.

Hey mate, definetly will go outback as it changes a few things on the van see below!

I guess the other thing is, is the spare wheel still mounted on the rear wall of the van.

I'd maybe consider changing that as it could put alot of stress on the wall over time. especially if doing a lot of corrugations.

Also if the weather isn't favourable and the kids go to bed in the bunks where do you sit at night and you want to sit up? (My wife thought of this )

If you go outback the rear wheel is not attached to the fibre glass but they actually put in a thick steel rear bar (Not the white one on the panda) and the spare attaches to this. Its actually a very thick rear bar which means we could put a bike rack onto rear spare no troubles and or an extra jerry can holder!

The A-Frame is also empty as your gas bottles are in the boot so I could put outbloard motor on the A-Frame and then my fold down trailer bits and pieces in the front boot!!!!

In terms of sitting area we are getting an annexe so internally we only have sleeping / cooking / showering area and the annexes is our living area. I was never sold on annexe personally but after our latest 10 day trip with an annexe up I absolutely loved it! Even for a weekend trip I would put it up.

I guess for us like your wife pointed out and rightly so we always bought the 17.56.2 as our living and sleeping area so it had to be massive so to speak but now after a camper, trailer, windup, pop top and two expandas we are looking at the van as just a sleeping area and the annexe as our living so the van just needs to be comfortable for us to sleep etc in and the rest we are not to worried about :).

Its a whole shift in need and want from the van I guess (hope this isn't a sign of getting older) and I am liking it! No more wet canvas, van is always setup so not more setup with beds etc, I can pack everything i need motor, trailer, bikes etc and I have a made up double bed to crash on when ever I get sleepy.

Put our order in already can't wait!!!!

I just had a look at that model on the Jayco website, and I like it very much. Can I ask what the approx cost is for that van?

For the outback model with shower toilet in NSW its around 38k base price for the van as it stands but then you have to add all your extras! :)

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Awesome news Expanda and the annex sound like a great idea as you said. Very practable as well.

The freeing up up the drawbar is also a bonus!
They must have changed the rear bar design as I think the pic on the website behind the 4X4 has the spare on the rear wall, but it s much better on the rear bar.

So when is delivery? :D

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
I looked at that model the other day at the pre christmas caravan show in Brisbane. It is a good layout although the bed is a bit small.
What we love about the CT is that you are still living in the annex and the CT is more for sleeping so with changing to a van we also were hoping to continue this theme

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Awesome news Expanda and the annex sound like a great idea as you said. Very practable as well.

The freeing up up the drawbar is also a bonus!
They must have changed the rear bar design as I think the pic on the website behind the 4X4 has the spare on the rear wall, but it s much better on the rear bar.

So when is delivery? :D

I think you are looking at the non outback version (Touring)

gc4651303537337433501.jpg

When you option up to the outback model the rear bar changes to this on the Dicovery / Sterling range. Thick chunky steel and the rear wheel attached to it rather than the fibreglass!!!!!

gc5304160478399999733.jpg

Delivery???? Not for a while unfortunately, we will get in July / August next year. Hiring a jayco hawk for the xmas break so will respect the discovery even more when it comes. But since I got my tinnie, loader and trailer I really am buggered at the end of the day as I can't stop fishing so anywhere to hang my hat will be fine!!

I looked at that model the other day at the pre christmas caravan show in Brisbane. It is a good layout although the bed is a bit small.
What we love about the CT is that you are still living in the annex and the CT is more for sleeping so with changing to a van we also were hoping to continue this theme

Hey cancan, bed is the same size as the panda's at least thats what it felt like when I did a trial run in the yard :).

I feel the same now with the annexe, the wife always wanted one and I always said no as I couldn't be stuffed putting it up. But after using one a couple of weeks back and seeing the amount of extra room it gives you I am now more than happy to oblige and can go to something like a discovery without a worry. I think you are right on the money with the sleeping / living areas it makes it feel much more relaxing and the kids can of and sleep and you can watch telly and make noise without worrying to much!

In some ways as well I think the biggest reason why we went 16, 17 and then nearly 18 so quickly is we where just looking for more room when we technically had it we just needed to put up some walls!

Reactions: cruza driver

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Thanks mate :thumb: I'm with you now they must have changed to the new rear bar design. In the brochure (page 16) there is a OB getting towed behind a Volvo and the spare is on the back wall.

The rear bar is the go !!

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Do you know if that rear bumper is part of the chassis or bolted on?
....I wondering if it could be directly added to an expanda....

Are We There Yet?

Jun 24, 2011
Vic
The more I read about it, the more I like it :D Although we are not planning to change our van anytime soon, but having the queen bed inside is definitely appealing. We have that big solid bar on the back of our 18ft OB Expanda too.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Good stuf Expanda, well done, that's a killer of a delivery time.

Not that we'll be upgrading for a long time to come (unless lotto comes around) But think we'd go the same way, Full van no canvas, though I do enjoy just opening those big zipper windows for ventilation if you have a view or having that afternoon :sleep:

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Do you know if that rear bumper is part of the chassis or bolted on?
....I wondering if it could be directly added to an expanda....

G'Day SD,

Not sure of the mounting of the bar for the Discovery but I have arranged my dealer to deliver our Expanda with the RHS Galv rear bumper in place of the powdercoated tube bar. So it is possible although the Expanda bars are just bolted into the chassis.
Just didn't like the tube bars & mentioned it to the dealer, he was only too happy to offer the RHS one to us.

Paul

Reactions: straydingo

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
thanks Paul.
May look at that later then....missed out on getting it done in the build.
9 days till pickup

No Probs,
The factory didn't offer the RHS bar as an option. The dealer is fitting ours while it is waiting for p/up. Might be worth asking..

9 days hey ? No need to rub it in.................. Come on the 26th Nov...

Cheers,
Paul