17' Series Jayco 2012 expanda upgrade suspension from standard to off road

Chris78

Mar 20, 2017
Dampier
Hi Guys and Gals

I have bought a 2012 Jayco Expanda 17.56 standard from a mate who priced it too well to resist. My question is I would like to change to standard suspension to more off road and raise the height to be more like an outback if not better. Has anyone done this? Who did they go through. I live in Dampier but happy to travel to Perth. Cheers

Chris78

Mar 20, 2017
Dampier
Sorry must also add that I live in Dampier WA so most of the places I would like to travel to need off road or high suspension like karijini etc.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi @Chris78,
one important difference between the Outback and Standard Jaycos is the much stronger chassis.
If you look at the Jayco specs for a 17.56-1, the Tare for a standard van is 1740kg and the Outback version is 2085kg.
The difference is 345kg.

You may want to bear in mind that any mods to increase the robustness of your van will most probably increase the weight.
That is, the weight increase will come out of your load allowance. You will need to look at your compliance plate and subtract the Tare from the ATM to determine the load allowance.

The weight allowance is either 400kg or 475kg depending on whether you have a shower or not.
If you don't have a shower, about 91kg of this will be used filling the water tank and one gas cylinder. If you have a shower,
182kg will be used if you fill up both water tanks and gas cylinders.
Also, any options fitted to the van after it left the factory will also come off the load allowance.

If you go down this path, you might want to consider having the work done with the plan to get an updated compliance plate.
That way, you will still have your load allowance. There are a few threads on this forum by people who have upgraded their compliance plate.

cheers
Mike

Chris78

Mar 20, 2017
Dampier
Hi Mike thanks for that. I had heard conflicting stories about the chassis thanks for clearing that for me. The Van has had no mods and does not have a shower. It is good to know that I have a buffer to add a bit of extra weight to the van. Do you think going down this path is a good idea? Should I look at strengthening the chassis? I'm not looking at going to crazy spots just some that are a bit more remote and off the beaten track. Cheers

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi Mike thanks for that. I had heard conflicting stories about the chassis thanks for clearing that for me. The Van has had no mods and does not have a shower. It is good to know that I have a buffer to add a bit of extra weight to the van. Do you think going down this path is a good idea? Should I look at strengthening the chassis? I'm not looking at going to crazy spots just some that are a bit more remote and off the beaten track. Cheers

Hi @Chris78,
a lot of people, on this forum at least, have trouble keeping under the ATM with water, gas, a few options and their normal kit.
400kg is not a lot.

If you want to go free camping a lot, you will also probably want to consider an extra water tank and 120-150W solar. If so, you will be taking about 200kg of your 400kg allowance before you put anything in the van. I think most will agree that it is difficult to get all you need or want in the van and not exceed 200kg. It is amazing how much a lot of small things weigh.

Now, that is before you add any of the outback-type chassis mods you are contemplating.

I don't have enough experience in traveling on the sorts of roads you envisage to advise whether you are on the right path or not. But you are certainly asking these questions on a good forum so you will get a lot of good suggestions that will help you make informed choices.

best wishes
Mike

Reactions: dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
hiya @Chris78 welcome to the forum
as @mikerezny has said, your load allowance is a pain in the a...
for the basic's of your question, yes you can gain some extra height by swapping your axles around - under slinging them
but, like most mods - 1 mod leads to 3 more, and where do you stop?

underslinging the axles and putting larger rims on will give you more ground clearance
have a look at @Drover s post about his Tardis - http://expandasdownunder.com/threads/drovers-14-44-3.4502/

I'm pretty sure thats where he explained how and what he did - its not hard, but not a simple job either

also, have a look around up there for @Nagga's they may be able to help you as well with ideas

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Rolling an axle will give about 100mm extra height, first thing to do is measure the height of your tow ball, ideally it should be about 25mm higher than the van when tug is all packed up, anyway this will give you an idea if your tow bar would need mods.
If you have greasable shackle pins and the springs seem decent than undersling the axles but use new U bolts and fish plates with HT washers, otherwise new shackles and greasable pins, with new bushes would set you up .
If your wanting to follow in Len Beadel's footsteps then get another van as a retrofitto independant suspension would prove too costly and lots of compliance hassles........a J Tech is around the 350kg.