Electrical Jayco 12 Pin Wiring

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Not sure if this is already on the site, but I requested this from Bayswater Jayco.

Might be of use to others.

Regards BoD.
Thanks for posting.
Step 4 makes reference to a voltage sensing relay (I have a Redarc model already installed) however if you connect both the battery feed and fridge supply as they suggest, then surely the fridge would drain the caravan battery when connected to the car, but engine not running?
Others have suggested fitting a further control relay to the fridge to prevent this, but would have expected Jayco to at least warn about this?

georgeT

Mar 28, 2015
Canberra
Thanks for posting.
Step 4 makes reference to a voltage sensing relay (I have a Redarc model already installed) however if you connect both the battery feed and fridge supply as they suggest, then surely the fridge would drain the caravan battery when connected to the car, but engine not running?
Others have suggested fitting a further control relay to the fridge to prevent this, but would have expected Jayco to at least warn about this?
Can you please explain about needing an extra control relay? I need to get my car re-wired for 12 pin and I have an existing "hot wire" to pin 2 which is only active when the ignition is on.

I thought there was no connection between the van battery and the fridge so only the car battery needed to be isolated. Would the 12 pin wiring allow current to flow from the van battery back through the pin 2 hot wire, through the 12 pin plug and to the pin 9 fridge wire? I also thought the setec unit had a diode to prevent back flow.

Where would the extra control relay need to be placed?

Thanks

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Great van. We had ours because of a teenage girl and boy.....they're over coming away with us, hence we are changing!

You've chosen well there! Enjoy.

darcy305

Jul 24, 2011
Meadow Heights
Hi ll,
So we have a 12 pin plug fitted as standard now on newer territorys I had a redarc relay fitted when we purchased the car last year. My question is would the 12 pin plug in our car be se up properly as per the wiring diagram our should I get checked out prior to pick up in august. Sorry my knowledge on this subject is limited to say the least :)

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
I doubt the relays and inline fuses would have been fitted. Possibly needs a diode (?) to stop the car drawing on the van battery for starting the car.

Ford would be your starting point I guess.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
And for what it's worth too Darcy, the Diesel Territory will eat your new 17.56-1 for breakfast...we've towed our 17.56-2 with one for 3 years now. Fantastic.

8l/100k on its own......14l/100k with the Expanda on the back.

Reactions: Tone

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
Great van. We had ours because of a teenage girl and boy.....they're over coming away with us, hence we are changing!

You've chosen well there! Enjoy.
We have 2 teenage girls. We're hoping the extra space and extra beds (so they can bring friends) will keep them camping for a little while yet. :mod: We have just sold a Goldstream camper and found we were getting tired of the set up effort, especially on touring holidays. :mmph:

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
Yep....we had an Eagle and needed separate beds for a teenage girl and boy.....then there was the set up, pack up, set up, pack up.....
We're looking forward to going camping without the effort of the Goldy. This will be our third "home". First we had a Camp/O/Matic hard floor camper, then the Goldy, now the Expanda. Each one a bit more comfortable and easier to set up. Unfortunately, each one a little less off-road capable than the one it replaced. But the girls are happy!

Reactions: Bank of Dad