Jandl's New Kokoda

jandl

Mar 18, 2014
Perth
As the number of kids to take away has dwindled to one (some working and some no interest) it was time to investigate the possibility of upgrading the expanda. Put it on Gumtree to gauge interest and it was sold, paid for and delivered to the new owner in a day. Mmmm the wife said, we have our Gibb River Road/Northern Adventure holiday planned and booked for July/August and you have sold the van. Well I didn't think it was going to sell that quickly so we best have a look at what is out there I replied :o. We thought long and hard about a 19.5? Starcraft and spent a while in one at Caravanland to get a feel for a larger van and drove the hour to Mandurah to look at a 19.5 Kokoda. Did a lot of research and thinking and in the end we were offered a good deal on a new 20.6 Tribute 2 Kokoda. No more climbing over each other and doing the trek to the toilets, means I can have liquid refreshments later than 6pm like a grown up :)
Will convert the dinette lounge to a bed similar to what we had in the expanda and a few mods that I did to the old van that I learnt from here.
[ 20160226_132055.jpg 20160226_180903.jpg 20160301_095932.jpg 20160301_095940.jpg
Installed a 2000W inverter with a connected to a dedicated power GPO via a Residual Voltage Device. The Nespresso machine is a permanent fixture in the van. The 220W folding solar panel that I bought for the panda was way to big to be comfortably portable so I decontructed it and the resulting two 110W panels have joined the 150W that came with the van on the roof.
Many great times were had in the expanda and was sad to see it go as it was our first van but looking forward to new adventures in the new van. Will still be trawling through here to get the great ideas that people have and blatantly copy them.

jandl

Mar 18, 2014
Perth
Thanks guys and yes it is a good match for the Jeep, colour and otherwise :D.

mrsmfexpanda

May 27, 2015
Brookfield
Nice looking van we also looked at the kokoda quite seriously however were put off by their lack of warranty in victoria

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Congrats @jandl .. Looks great.
You wouldn't have been towing it home on Wednesday afternoon on the Forrest Hwy about 2ish? Wasn't a Prado towing it so didn't really take notice ;)
Passed one and had a good look and like the external look of them.

Reactions: bigcol

jandl

Mar 18, 2014
Perth
No wasn't us @dagree, I am at work so I can afford to go up north this year.
The warranty is the same as most vans and one of the reasons we looked so hard at the Starcraft was because it is a Jayco. Donna from Downunder RV in Mandurah was great to deal with and they have the same policy as Jayco in that we can take it to a reputable caravan repair centre and get any required warranty work done but that may only be here in Wait Awhile state.

Reactions: dagree and Smirke

jandl

Mar 18, 2014
Perth
Have put some effort into the van and Jeep in preparation for our trip up north. Think I ended up doing all the mods I planned.
Filter for the positive pressurisation blower that is under the bed with a switch in the front boot.
Air Filter.jpg
Installed two yellow Anderson plugs, one next to each set of tyres for the air compressor and the black one is for the fold out solar panel
Black and Yellow AP.jpg Yellow AP.jpg
A CTEK 250S went in to ensure the van's batteries will charge properly from the Jeep and the very important inverter to run the Nespresso machine wired to to a seperate GPO via an RVD. A 100mm tube on the back and a 150mm has gone onto the A-frame.
CTEK and Inverter.jpg Rear Tube.jpg
A Stone Stomper, thanks to Christian.
Stone Stomper.jpg

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
We had a stone stomper mounted in the same position on ours, we ended up with a heat damaged bumper on the drivers side while heading east from Broken Hill with a strong tail wind, keep an eye on it as the pipe from the muffler is too short to angle down. Your set up looks sensational enjoy!!

jandl

Mar 18, 2014
Perth
Thanks for the heads up, had not thought of it so I will be conscious of what happened to yours.

Reactions: bigcol