It's arrived!! Our new 14.44-4 Outback

Crew family

Mar 26, 2016
Melbourne
jayco expanda 1.jpg jayco expanda 2.jpg expanda 1.jpg After a long wait, we picked up our new Expanda 14.4-4 Outback from Page Bros today. It's definitely a big step up from our Eagle.
The handover was detailed and process smooth - thanks to everyone here for their great advice about the handover checklist and extras to order.
We went with flat cushions for the diner (so we can turn into a bed if needed with some extra foam - not bed converter), hanging space in the pantry next to shelves so we can put our hanging shoe organiser (means I can pack inside and bring out in one trip), tv antenna and bracket, extra lights outside etc.

One small thing we only noticed when we got home is that the rubber seal on the roof hatch doesn't sit flush to the opening. We certainly opened it several times during the handover, but didn't see anything out of place.
I'm assuming this is not normal? We won't be taking it completely off road for a while, so wondering if it's a big deal or if it can wait until our first service. Advice appreciated.

Now to look for some storage baskets, mesh pockets and hooks to screw to wall near door for maps etc and to book our inaugural trip.

Last edited:

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
After a long wait, we picked up our new Expanda 14.4-4 Outback from Page Bros today. It's definitely a big step up from our Eagle.
The handover was detailed and process smooth - thanks to everyone here for their great advice about the handover checklist and extras to order.
We went with flat cushions for the diner (so we can turn into a bed if needed with some extra foam - not bed converter), hanging space in the pantry next to shelves so we can put our hanging shoe organiser (means I can pack inside and bring out in one trip), tv antenna and bracket, extra lights outside etc.

One small thing we only noticed when we got home is that the rubber seal on the roof hatch doesn't sit flush to the opening. We certainly opened it several times during the handover, but didn't see anything out of place.
I'm assuming this is not normal? We won't be taking it completely off road for a while, so wondering if it's a big deal or if it can wait until our first service. Advice appreciated.

Now to look for some storage baskets, mesh pockets and hooks to screw to wall near door for maps etc and to book our inaugural trip.

Congrats on the new addition.

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
Well done!
Looks great, wish the family many safe and enjoyable trips .
Our hatch and a mates both don't close onto the seal and doesn't look like it could . I think it's just the way they are??

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
One small thing we only noticed when we got home is that the rubber seal on the roof hatch doesn't sit flush to the opening.
If it is the dometic hatch with the slide across screen and blockout sections ours doesn't seal on the rubber seal either.
Haven't had any issues as yet (Apart from a leak in heavy rain but that wasn't due to the rubber seal). Haven't had it on any majorly dusty tracks but no dust issues so far either!

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
I asked the same question too on our new van, as the rubber seal only touches at the front of the hatch. I spoke to the dealer and was advised that it's the way it's designed. Since then, I've seen other vans that are all the same too.

Van looks great! Enjoy!

Reactions: bigcol

Herbertclan

Mar 6, 2016
Perth
Congrats on the purchase and a ripper choice of van.

This is a great layout and was my wife's number 1 choice on her list. Enjoy your time out and about.

Reactions: bigcol

Crew family

Mar 26, 2016
Melbourne
Just home from our first long weekend away in our new 14.44-4 and can't say how much we love this van! So much thought has gone into the design - from the bunks, to the led lights, storage under beds etc. Had 3 nights in an unpowered site at Healesville and the battery held up beautifully (very cloudy and a bit of rain so the solar panels didn't get a good run). So much more storage room and room to move than in the Eagle.
Our fave bits: someone's suggestion of a memory foam mattress topper made it the most comfortable night's sleep camping ever; another's suggestion of a piece of plumbing pipe to store winders was upgraded to a bit of flat-bottomed plastic guttering that worked fantastically to keep all the metal poles in place in the front boot; the led light in the awning was excellent; the blue light option on every internal light kept insects to a minmum .... and so many more. Too busy getting out and about for photos but can't wait for the next one.