17' Series It's arrived at the dealers, but...

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Got the call from the dealer yesterday to tell us our 17.56-2 OB has arrived. :biggrin:

When we ordered it (back in March) with the 150lt fridge, we were told that it would need both a 12 pin plug and an Anderson Plug and an associated plug fitted to the tug, so we ordered the Anderson Plug option with the van and had the auto-elec fit one to the tug.

However, today the dealer has told me that Jayco no longer fit Anderson Plugs with the 150lt fridge option.

The dealer has offered me a credit for the A. Plug!

As a result of this "change", when I get the Panda home, I am thinking of doing the following rewiring to minimise voltage drop from the tug to the dual batteries and to maximise battery charge, so interested in opinions and comments on the following...

- disconnect the fridge 12v from pins 9 & 10 of the 12 pin plug
- fit a low voltage regulator switch to the dual 100AH batteries for the 150lt fridge
- connect only the fridge 12v to the the low voltage switch on the dual batteries in the van
- fit the CTEK D250S to the van
- disconnect the batteries from the 12v "charge" line from pins 2 & 3
- connect the van batteries to the CTEK
- run 6B&S cable from the CTEK to an Anderson Plug for connection to the Tug.

I believe this configuration will allow for the fridge to run on 12v from the van's batteries and the low voltage isolator will still leave enough charge in the batteries to run some lights if we stop for any extended time and forget to turn the fridge over/off. The voltage drop to the CTEK is minimised as it will be 6B&S cable (not 6mm cable as fitted by Jayco) from the vehicle batteries right through to the CTEK.

I have also heard that the pins on the 12 pin plug are not able to carry enough amperage/voltage and in some cases can melt from overheating. Is there truth to this?

Anyway, we are getting much closer and can't wait for pickup in 2 weeks - just waiting for the annex to be made!

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
I have also heard that the pins on the 12 pin plug are not able to carry enough amperage/voltage and in some cases can melt from overheating. Is there truth to this?

Hey ROnEM,

I still use my 12 pin without an issue, I have the Anderson Plug on the tug but the rewiring of the caravn fridge is still on the to do list!

I think your plan will work well, but for simplicity means alone you could run 6B&S from the fridge up the draw bar & put an anderson plug where Jayco would have?

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Thanks Big Gee.

Reassuring to know the config works without issue!

Will put the CTEK in immediately we get the Panda to make sure the dual batteries are charged to their maximum and when time permits (after a few weekends away) will do the re-wiring as above.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
When we order ours Back in 2010 I asked for Anderson Plug, and I had the tug wired accordingly, when the order confirmation came through it stated "12 pin Plug" + "Anderso Plug", I rang the dealer to see why I have a 12 pin, he said " becuase you have the 150 fridge the Anderson is to charge the Battery" So I had to have the tug wired for the 12 pin. which the dealer suppied

Van also has a Fridge Switch fitted.

smwilk

Apr 6, 2012
Gold Coast
We pick up ours in 2 weeks. Dealer is also adding an Anderson plug because we have the 150l fridge. What concerns me is he said they use 6mm wire! I said you mean 6 B&S and he Didn't know what I was talking about. He also said 2nd gas bayonet has not been fitted. Said that gas piping is too narrow for two under new regs. Sounds like crap to me!

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
smwilk,

The dealer has confirmed that they use 6mm wire - not 6B&S. They have said that the 6mm is enough. Obviously don't understand the issues with voltage drop over distance - from battery to Fridge, van batteries.

I too have ordered dual gas bayonets and while I have not seen the van, the dealer has reassured me that everything has been fitted as ordered - other than the Anderson Plug!

Am planning to go to the dealers and do a visual & physical check on the van in a few days, so will confirm the rear gas bayonet is fitted and get back to you.

Cheers,

Ro

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Mine is at the dealers now. I will pick up in a couple of weeks. I was not given the second gas bayonet either. They don't want to fit them anymore

smwilk

Apr 6, 2012
Gold Coast
The problem is that the Guage of wire was not specified so I guess they can legally supply what they want. They have offered me $80 refund for the 2nd bayonet. If its the wrong guage I will just replace it.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Interesting, I was charged about $200 for the 2nd bayonet!

It would be interested to put together an indicative price list for options - keep a running average that people can refer to so we can all push for better deals :smile:

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
smwilk,

Went and saw "The Baby" - rear gas bayonet is fitted as per the pic. Upon doing the itemised check with the dealer, we found that the Anderson Plug has been fitted, but the front Gas Bayonet on the A-Frame is not. They are fixing that over the next few days, making the add-a-room annexe and we should be able to take delivery soon.

Might just pack the car, pick up the Panda and go to a nearby caravan park for the weekend with the family so as to avoid the inevitable nagging from the kids if we don't go away ASAP!

IMG_1420.JPG