Electrical is there a battery that suits mutiple uses

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
hi all i am about to buy a new battery, is there a battery that will suit mutiple uses , ( 1 ) start a 50 hp outboard motor ( 2) run a 34 lbCanoe electric motor (3) be the backup for my 12volt fridge freezer, i was thinking a 100 amp deep cycle marine battery would probably cover all bases but i am open to suggestions, charging when off grid would be solar (rate to suit battery chemistry) and smart charger when on 240 power, boat motor says 80amp/hr ok canoe motor says 24amp to start then drops off to run? fridge/freezer says AVG 1.6 amp running i am sure that this figure is to maintain a previously cooled unit, any wise suggestions ,as i do not want to buy three batteries when i can only normally use one at a time

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
A Marine battery would be the go, they handle drain and cranking best, a 100ah job is about the size of a N70Z battery so not a light weight, is more than enough for a 50hp but if I was going to use it in a canoe I would want an AGM as even a sealed wet battery can leak acid..... I have been thinking about an 80ah AGM for a Watersnake for use in the boat and Yak, didn't want a flooded in the Yak with me and don't want to draw off the main boat battery... greatest fear is a flat battery on an electric start...........
I used a marine battery as an Aux in the Colorado ran the fridge and was a back up jump starter....

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
+the issue about the weight is a good point, especially when taking in and out of the canoe, maybe a 80amp would be a better option, and save a few kg.will do some more research about cranking on an agm

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
AGM's come in cranking and deep cycle, your wants mean a Marine battery as they will handle both, I would have a cranker for the 50HP and a smaller job for the watersnake and fridge, save a lot of hassle in the long run, need to do a load check on the canoe to see how much freeboard is left after bums, gear, motor and battery are loaded, unlike vans you can't cover it up... wet bums are not fun.

I don;t imagine your carting a 50Hp camping ???

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Correct the 50 and tinny runabout stay at home, the canoe goes on top of the tug and the Watersnake rides on a carrier on the vans back bumper, lots of toys and not enough time (or energy) to use them all. Downsizing is a very scary thought

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I dug around in my stuff for the notes I had when I was heading the same way, it seemed I favoured a 100ah AGM Century 27LX MF Dual Force, cranking with deep cycle capability, so it could be used for the trolling motor and be a back up for the starter job on the 40 if needed... 23kg really made it to heavy to lug into the Yak though, just wasn't enough load or gunnel left, so I was looking for maybe an 80ah which is more managable in the Yak at around 18kg..... $$$ signs with a line thru show it was all going to be too expensive for my budget, I still haven't bought the watersnake yet, one day......... Fixed one for my neighbour when he scored one at a garage sale, small soldering job needed, a bargain for $25...... RC bugga he is.

I keep thinking of downsizing Big Mal from 22ft to something cosy like 18ft, then park beside a river somewhere for a week, stretch out and think "Nah" and the idea goes away, the downsize on my wallet would be terrifying though....

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
I will look into the batteries you mention,in my setup the battery is in a secured box and the extra weight down low is a stability bonus,funny story I took an unco brother in law out in the canoe at a family picnic, he swamped the canoe three times before he leaned how to step into the middle of the canoe sit down and not move around ,even on the water he nearly turned us over a couple of times, he only goes out in the big boat now

Attachments

• IMG20230810090127.jpg
    IMG20230810090127.jpg
    726.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG20230810090154.jpg
    IMG20230810090154.jpg
    776.3 KB · Views: 74

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
You have far more room and freeboard than my tandem Yak, I did like those Optima batteries as I think I could fit them inside the Yak but again wallet burners,........... Have taken a few tumbles out of my Yaks sometimes my fault others not so, everything is tied down or has a lanyard so they don't swim too far........ I think seperate batteries for canoe/fridge and boat................ In a Lotto win world, Lithium of course.............

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
You have far more room and freeboard than my tandem Yak, I did like those Optima batteries as I think I could fit them inside the Yak but again wallet burners,........... Have taken a few tumbles out of my Yaks sometimes my fault others not so, everything is tied down or has a lanyard so they don't swim too far........ I think seperate batteries for canoe/fridge and boat................ In a Lotto win world, Lithium of course.............
Been doing some reading on battery and trolling motors,some brands say lithium not suitable as higher voltage screws with any led gauges and the higher voltage can overheat and damage the motor , depends on the brand you do the research on, appears as if you are looking at lower end motors stick with lower end battery

• Wow
Reactions: Boots in Action

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Been doing some reading on battery and trolling motors,some brands say lithium not suitable as higher voltage screws with any led gauges and the higher voltage can overheat and damage the motor , depends on the brand you do the research on, appears as if you are looking at lower end motors stick with lower end battery

I have read things like that but they are talking about if you DiY your own lithium pack and don't incorporate a BMS system, really the same if you feed power from the alternator/generator without running it through a regulator, things go hay wire, rare to see an off the shelf lithium battery thats doesn't have a BMS in the unit, without it you couldn't charge them properly nor operate correctly, using a normal lithium deep cycle battery would be no drama on a trolling motor, so long as you use the proper charger or a solar reg suited to lithium ....
If that was the case then vans would have exploding TVs and computers as they are more sensitive than an electric motor, so not really an issue at all........

If you had a lithium starter or even an AGM battery on a boat motor you would have to ensure the engine alternator/genny reg was suited or modified to charge them or they could be cooked ....

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
further to my reading some suppliers of agm batteries offer no warrenty if they used for trolling motors , probably because of the excessive amp draw these motors operate on. rule of thumb one LB. of thrust equates to one amp of draw, eg 34 lb thrust = 34 amp draw. 60 lb thrust = 60 amp of draw . even a fully charged battery would not last long pushing a bigger boat ,if you are using them for safety reasons ,you need a petrol auxillary or oars and a good heart to get back to the ramp, especially if you are a expert fisherman with your bag limits (another fantasy )

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
I have read things like that but they are talking about if you DiY your own lithium pack and don't incorporate a BMS system, really the same if you feed power from the alternator/generator without running it through a regulator, things go hay wire, rare to see an off the shelf lithium battery thats doesn't have a BMS in the unit, without it you couldn't charge them properly nor operate correctly, using a normal lithium deep cycle battery would be no drama on a trolling motor, so long as you use the proper charger or a solar reg suited to lithium ....
If that was the case then vans would have exploding TVs and computers as they are more sensitive than an electric motor, so not really an issue at all........

If you had a lithium starter or even an AGM battery on a boat motor you would have to ensure the engine alternator/genny reg was suited or modified to charge them or they could be cooked ....
i read it on google it must be true???

• Haha

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Never heard of that myself but could be right or bit like the Insurance will refuse your claim myths, I suppose there are people who say I was using it to weld, run a trolling motor, kick start a Kenworth, once I thought these were people of mythical legend but have come across them, WHS is to blame I think.......
Claims for trolling motors would more likely be A. flogging the thing to death B.... using dads old battery charger and cooking it or some other dumb act more than likely, Lots of stuod out there especially in the boating crew, why local stay at home around here on weekends ................. Sign in Gympie must say Idiots this way to Tin Can Bay.

On a 28lb job 80ah would be okay but then I look at using it to get in close for the Jacks where the Yamy can't get or pushing the Yak when I get caught with the wind coming up while some want to use run it for half an hour or more to travel to save on petrol........... My fishing bag is still in the wrapper....... I'm happy with my fish from the shop actually but like being out in the boat and throwing a line and tossing them back.