14' Series Is putting an oven in worthwhile?

mrsmfexpanda

May 27, 2015
Brookfield
I never thought it was important to have an oven in a van, after 4 of them without however since the silverline comes with an oven i wouldn't be without it,
i dont use it for roasts but heat up rolls, chips, pizzas and things like chicken kievs etc gives a better variety when free camping rather than only bbqs or stove top cooking

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
we got ours built with the oven its great dose roast spuds better than our home oven always crispy and heating things up like pies and not relying on micronuke for everything the misses likes making the odd cake to I think its great we can bye a lot of stuff cold and warm it up in oven 5 stars

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I only ask as we deleted the microwave from our Journey in preference to more storage as we free camp most of the time.

Just caught up with this again.

It seems those who prefer ovens also use the ovens for storage.

We had a microwave as most come with that and used it once or twice but more often to store the bread in while travelling.

Until we forgot the bread was there......penicillin prevailed.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Just caught up with this again.

It seems those who prefer ovens also use the ovens for storage.

We had a microwave as most come with that and used it once or twice but more often to store the bread in while travelling.

Until we forgot the bread was there......penicillin prevailed.

Ha that happened to us as well.

Are these ovens gas or electric.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Gas I think. Didn't think to ask but as there's only one electric hot plate and three gas, I'd assume the oven would be gas.

You'd need a big inverter to run the oven when free camping otherwise.....I can visualise the multiple generators being fired up for the baking of the biscuits .....so must be gas.

Reactions: dagree

WHHEMI

Jan 18, 2016
Yarra Valley
The oven in our Journey is gas, with 3 gas and one electric burner on top, only thing I don't like about it is the electric burner.

Reactions: Sammy D

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
I wouldn't be without my oven. We use a baby Q but when overnighting it's the best. I love my cooking ( my husband loves my cooking too)! I didn't have one in our 2007 expanda but we didn't free camp either. So if I want to bake something and don't want hassle of getting out the webber( which by the way does the best ever cakes and scones!) my oven does the job.

Reactions: Crew family

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Maybe we need to camp near you, instead of patronising the local bakeries!

Lately, we've been experimenting ....at home...with different types and combinations of pies. So far, the pork and fennel wins, though the chicken cheese and leek comes close!

My reason for sharing this earth shattering information is that we're going to see if we can make them while free camping with just the Weber.....and we're contemplating taking a stove top pressure cooker with us to get the filling right. The pressure cooker was about to be turfed so it may yet get a second life.

Ambition (and Scottish blood) prevails.

Anyone else tried this? And had success?

:focus:

Reactions: dagree

EDT82

Sep 3, 2016
Blackwater, Qld
We have our 17.56-1 arriving in a week and yes wifee ears pricked up with the oven word. With 4 kids she said we need the oven as she cooks madly in an oven at home. I have the ziggy with all the extras so I'm sure we will be having a cook off. lol

Reactions: Dove and WHHEMI

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
We hardly ever used the oven in our Starcraft. The odd pizza or quiche. We mostly cook outside. Slowly learning to use a camp oven for roasts etc. The new van only has a cook top and grille.

EDT82

Sep 3, 2016
Blackwater, Qld
Here's our oven. Haven't seen it yet. dealer sent these yesterday.

Attachments

• 20161119_085413.jpg
    20161119_085413.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 172

Crew family

Mar 26, 2016
Melbourne
Maybe we need to camp near you, instead of patronising the local bakeries!

Lately, we've been experimenting ....at home...with different types and combinations of pies. So far, the pork and fennel wins, though the chicken cheese and leek comes close!

My reason for sharing this earth shattering information is that we're going to see if we can make them while free camping with just the Weber.....and we're contemplating taking a stove top pressure cooker with us to get the filling right. The pressure cooker was about to be turfed so it may yet get a second life.

Ambition (and Scottish blood) prevails.

Anyone else tried this? And had success?

:focus:
We haven't made pies, but have done homemade sausage rolls in the camp oven, and homemade pizzas in the Weber with our own dough. Look forward to hearing how you go :)