Ironman v Rancho Add a Leaf for D40 Navara?

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Hi,
Has anyone got experience of either the Ironman or Rancho Add a Leaf style of rear Spring helpers, either added to a Navara D40 or any other similar ute?
I'm not trying to raise the vehicle height although a few mm won't be an issue - the main reason is to stop the ute dropping too much when the 300kg + ball weight is added.
Can't justify completely new suspension and don't do any 4x4 but a bit of help in the rear would be welcome!
Any comments or advice appreciated.
Cheers, Paul

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Sorry I have no experience with an add a leaf @pauljygrant but have had this discussion with a few mates.

I think for the cost I think it would be worth a try, I would personally do this before going down the air bag option in a ute anyway

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
That was my thinking - just which brand. Both are under $200.
I fitted airbags to my Pathfinder but don't want to fit them to the ute given the issue over stress cracking to the chassis.
I like the ability to adjust the Ironman helpers but in reality, would I just leave them set for the camper all year round? My experience or expectation of things that offer the best of both worlds (ie can be tightened when carrying loads, then wound back at other times) often don't properly deliver on either.
That said, at just over $100, not much financial risk. I certainly prefer this route rather than using a WDH.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Have you looked at a spring works adding an extra leaf to the pack ?........ If you take the springs in to them usually same day service and isn't expensive.

If you are putting 300kg on the ball unless you upgrade the springs you will have to go a WDH as I doubt stock suspension would handle it even with an overider spring.

Last edited: