inverter question probly for gurus

Jim and Tab

Jul 29, 2011
Bendigo Victoria
hi just a simple question about running a 12-240 volt inverter
is it possible to run an inverter from a battery and plug the inverter into the inlet power on the van
so instead of plugging a power point in from a avn park i would run a lead from the inverter into the van
the only things that will be plugged in would be a tv and ipod and very rarely (quick lunch)a microwave
the inverter is big enough to run the microwave
im just trying to avoid running the gennie so diamond can watch tv or if we are sitting outside listening to the ipod.
the inverter has 2 outlets but i dont want to run leads around,
on our trip last month we were having pies on a stop heading home so that ment getting the gennie out getting the lead out starting the gennie for 6 mins use and then putting it all away again.
i have 320 watts of solar power to charge during the day but tv/ipod usually only on for a cpl of hours
thanks heaps if you can help
cheers jim/tab and diamond

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
personally I use 12v equipment (except Microwave of course) Invertors are very inefficient. I can run the TV, IPOD dock, 12V Waeco and all van lights for 4 days with 240w of solar and 1 100AH battery soon to be 2 X 100AH batteries. I would just run the Gennie for the microwave as you will find you won't use it that much.

Pieter

Sep 1, 2011
Tieri, QLD, Australia
You can go from the Inverter straight to the van just make 100% sure the inverter is big enough to power the microwave and limit what is turned on. If you do as you mentioned above you will be fine.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
if your inverter outlets are only 10A sockets you will also need an Ampfibian ( http://www.ampfibian.com.au/products.htm ) or similar type of device to connect to your 15A socket on your van. As bigman has said inverters are a very inefficient way to power devices that can also run on 12v. You can buy 12v adaptors for your ipod and most mobile phones. If your tv is lcd and uses an external power brick then it should be able to run from 12v as well, Dick Smith's or Jaycar electronics can help you out with an adapter for the tv.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I'm not a guru...so.....

We stop at a town's bakery and pay too much for ones already hot........
but that probably doesn't really help you :D :D :D

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
Rule 1, if there are requirements to look at anything to do with 240 Vac on an installation, consult a licensed electrical contractor.

All parts of an electrical installation (connections, wiring, fuses/circuit breakers, etc) have to be selected and installed to ensure compliance with the standards and ultimately no issues. (Refer Rule 1)

Not getting into the argument about the 10 A to 15 A leads but it is illegal and not a good idea.

If the inverter can handle the load, then do it. I have a mate who has done that, he said it works great but he has 4 x 120 Ahr batteries to supply it. Doing the calcs, an inverter at 800 W to power a big load is approx 68 A from 12 Vdc. It would pay to check with the battery supplier to see if it may actually do some damage at a high discharge rates like that. Also might pay to check the current drain on the inverter though. Don't want the battery to drain out when not in use.

Last thing to note from a safety perspective is that an earth leakage switch (RCD) may not operate correctly on a standalone power system (generator/inverter). The test button will work but a true earth leakage fault may not operate the trip. For more info as to what you can do, refer rule 1.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Thats how I run my 1000w pure sine inverter and it works a treat.
Just dont run the micro or AC

hi just a simple question about running a 12-240 volt inverter
is it possible to run an inverter from a battery and plug the inverter into the inlet power on the van
so instead of plugging a power point in from a avn park i would run a lead from the inverter into the van
the only things that will be plugged in would be a tv and ipod and very rarely (quick lunch)a microwave
the inverter is big enough to run the microwave
im just trying to avoid running the gennie so diamond can watch tv or if we are sitting outside listening to the ipod.
the inverter has 2 outlets but i dont want to run leads around,
on our trip last month we were having pies on a stop heading home so that ment getting the gennie out getting the lead out starting the gennie for 6 mins use and then putting it all away again.
i have 320 watts of solar power to charge during the day but tv/ipod usually only on for a cpl of hours
thanks heaps if you can help
cheers jim/tab and diamond

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
The other thing you will have to do if you are running the inverter from the van battery is disconnect the setec power supply (turn it off at the 240v switch) otherwise some of your inverter power will be used to try and charge up the batteries. that would be a waste of power I think.