Just Browsing Integrated USB charging points

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Just got these from Caravan plus. 2 days to deliver.
https://www.caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=16379
IMG_4540.JPG

Reactions: bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I'll be interested in your take on these.

We had some fitted in the house when we had the kitchen done eighteen months ago and have found it difficult to get both usbs to charge at the same time...one will but the other (not 2.1) just dings.

They might be a different and better brand than ours ...and maybe the manufacturers fixed it.

Reactions: Marv_mart

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
They are advertised to provide 10W each so will see.
Some double chargers will only give 5W from one if the other is already providing 10W.
5W is ok for phones but not enough for tablets.
I do have a power point adaptor plug in that has 4 x USB slots, 2 x 5 W and 2 x 10 W but that does get a bit 'warm' if two iPads are charging at once.
A bit like this one from Bunnings but slightly higher max power rating. That's what you need to look out for when purchasing multiple port adaptors. This one is rated as Total combined output 2.1A max. Ie 10.4W at 5V (USB)
IMG_4544.JPG

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
The specs for the one I bought from Caravan plus say 2.1A at 5V for the USB, not absolutely clear whether that is 10.2W total but hoping 10W for each.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Sounds ok to me.

I bought a four usb outlet one in America last year with multiple options for charging in different places...by luck rather than good management....and it charges 2 iPads and 2 phones at the same time without any problems.

So the quality must be better than ours in the kitchen. I'd steered clear of them because of that.

Another thing to fix ...by the electrician.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Yes, I have a full range of double USB adaptors that fit into 12V sockets. One is 10W, the other 5W in each adaptor.
Have 2 adaptors permanently in the beast (2 Aux ports) plus plenty more 12 V sockets on the jumper battery (2), two ports in the van plus 1 in the annexe space and an adaptor for the portable solar panels so no shortage of options if no 240V.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
I fitted some in our kitchen at home. They work good just be aware they are bigger in the back of the switch than standard switches so need a a little deeper space to fit and that may be one reason jayco hasn't made them for ours vans yet

Maximage

Jan 6, 2017
Perth
Main reason I was lead to believe is Jayco use the CMS Plug n Play type wiring, which comes as a plug together kit. That way they can have unqualified trades hooking up the wiring and only need a qualified sparky to do the final sign off, as opposed to all the physical wiring. CMS don't do USB ones yet.

Last edited:

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Until they are available in the CMS type, they aren't a simple fit, unless you are getting a licensed electrician to do it.