Insurance

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Hi all well travelled,does any one have any good or bad things to say about caravan insurance, and has anyone had to use caravan extra cover from auto clubs, do they cover what they advertise, or is it difficult to claim, I am sure there are some good tales to relay

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have Defence Homes Insurance (QBE Underwriters) for house and vehicles no drama with claims, hail damage was easy, as for Auto Club cover I have RACQ Ultra costs a monza seems to work well when travelling, managed a big tow with van hooked up to tow truck and tug on the tray, crossed wires meant i stuffed up with the free accomodation but not a biggy, big vans can get knocked back if the local area towie doesn't have a big enough truck also if you have a fancy hitch then carry a means of converting it to using a ball as you could get stuck as some vanners seem to expect the towie to have a hitch to fit.............. Having a barney with a towie is not a great idea and not having full noise road service is dumb, one good tow will certainly save taking out a second mortage.

Reactions: poor but proud

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
my van has CIL.cover, I have processed two claims over the years and in both cases they exceeded my expectations,so we are not planning on changing,BUT ! you should fully read your PDF and and cover document every time you renew your policy ,as what you were covered for last year may not be the same this year. This is most important especially with the auto clubs extra cover, they say you get $xxx per year but change what they will pay out on.my older policy included windscreen repair,but that has been dropped and they have increased my yearly $$ for running out of fuel, there are many paying customers out there who do not know what they are paying for, i spent a lot of years on a call center complaints phone and a lot of calls started with NOW WHAT I WANT ! often finished with THAT NOT WHAT YOU ARE COVERED FOR . always pays to read the full document, now Drover which tug was on the tow truck ? not a jeep i hope

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
now Drover which tug was on the tow truck ? not a jeep i hope

Nope it was the Colorado, threw an alternator bearing, managed to put the fire out in time.........also pays to carry a fire extinguisher...got a tow from 8 kms out of Inglewood on the Texas road all the way to Gundy, towie was very happy as I had unhitched, got my stuff out of the tug and was ready to roll...........

coys 53

Oct 13, 2019
perth
Just renewed our van insurance with racwa and noted it had gone up in price by a whopping $160 from last year when we asked why the lady didn't know. Not all bandits wear masks

Reactions: Drover and DRW

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
pays to ring around,there is very little loyalty to long term customers these days, insurance companies offer pretty good discounts to first time customers but do not offer the same discount for a renewal .its a pure dollar issue to change each year to get the discounts,especially when you look into who owns what,most are underwritten by a few big players

KECL

Aug 16, 2016
Secret Harbour WA
I use QBE who will let you select the months you intend to use the van and adjust the policy price accordingly. Handy for me as I work full-time and hence do not travel for approx 6-months in the year. Also easy to change a month (swap a nontravelling month at nil cost) or add a month (at extra cost) if you decide to travel unexpectly.

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
I use QBE who will let you select the months you intend to use the van and adjust the policy price accordingly. Handy for me as I work full-time and hence do not travel for approx 6-months in the year. Also easy to change a month (swap a nontravelling month at nil cost) or add a month (at extra cost) if you decide to travel unexpectly.
how does that go if your van were to be stolen while not in travelling time? would they honour a claim?

coys 53

Oct 13, 2019
perth
Kecl
Thanks for the insurance info it was nearly $200 cheaper than the racwa so we went ahead and purchased 12 months worth
Cheers Alan

KECL

Aug 16, 2016
Secret Harbour WA
poor but proud - in answer to your question; if your van were to be stolen while not in travelling time, would they honour a claim?
Answer is Yes, however it must have been stolen form the nominated address - there is zero cover if the van is elsewhere.

Reactions: Brente1982