17' Series Install Solar from Jayco or elsewhere??

michelle menzel

May 21, 2014
Nhill
Wanting opinions on installing solar on our 17.56-2. Got a quote from Jayco for approx $650 for 120 watt panel and regulator. Hubby reckons we should just buy the panels etc from ebay and get our local auto elec to fit them. Whats everyone else think? Our van is only a couple of weeks from being out of warranty so that wont make a difference. Also is 120 big enough?

Reactions: yabbietol

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
I don't think that price is too over the top but it does depend on the specs of the regulator. I know the regulator I bought cost that much on its own before you even think of panels or installing it.

Ask them how much just for the pre-wire for solar. That way you will get the cables up though the canvas and through the roof. You can then add your own choice of reg and panels later. Your choice might end up costing the same at the end of the day but you may end up with better quality gear.

michelle menzel

May 21, 2014
Nhill
I don't think that price is too over the top but it does depend on the specs of the regulator. I know the regulator I bought cost that much on its own before you even think of panels or installing it.

Ask them how much just for the pre-wire for solar. That way you will get the cables up though the canvas and through the roof. You can then add your own choice of reg and panels later. Your choice might end up costing the same at the end of the day but you may end up with better quality gear.
Our van is already wired for solar apparently

Reactions: yabbietol

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
If you are going to buy panels from ebay they will most likely be junk. I would like to think that the Jayco ones will have some quality about them plus you will have the famed Jayco warranty.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Hello Troy and Michelle

Jayco appear to be ripping you off, they are charging over $5 per watt. The regulator would have to be absolute top of the line to significantly reduce this price and make it fair. I do not agree panels on eBay are rubbish, top brands like Kyocera (high quality Japanese) are on eBay for well under $2 per watt and Chinese panels can be bought for around a $1 per watt.

The expensive bit is paying for someone to do the wiring if the van is prewired all you are getting for you money is the panel and regulator. If you do go with Jayco get the brand name of the regulator and panel and then do some comparative price checking. There are some top quality regulators around such as Xantrex that do cost lots of $, but I would doubt you will get one of these from Jayco. The cost of mounting the panel is also a factor, but many members of this forum have mounted panels on their caravans themselves.

Also for $620 you could get a couple of flexible panels giving a total power above 200W and a decent regulator. Noting that flexible panels are lighter an lower profile than conventional solar panels and can be attached with good quality silicon.

Below is a a bit I put in another thread in this forum:

There is a guy who goes to various shows and has a web site who looks interesting as a supplier of solar panels and batteries, if you do not like eBay. He is located in Melbourne and appears to have a good technical knowledge and reasonable prices. I have no connection with his company and have not used his services.

https://solar4rvs.com.au/our-kits.html

Do yourself a favour have a look around and check the prices of what specifically you are getting from Jayco, good luck.
Regards
Terry

PS Some junk email I got this arvo had a solar panel 120W at $129 (I don't believe reduced from $420).
http://www.campsalesau.com/120w-solar-panel.html

Last edited:
Reactions: michelle menzel

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Since your van is wired up and is nearly out of warranty I would follow @yabbietol suggestion, I think the Jayco price is over the top.
I would actually go for a set of panels that would be mounted on the roof but can be unplugged and used on the ground for those shady camping spots.
You could get the same for a lot less $$, the shows have some good units available, mine were bought at a Camping show and still good 8 yrs later.

willobee

Apr 8, 2015
Perth
Hi all can anyone tell me the rating of the regulator thats come standard with the jayco install of the 120w system on the outbacks?
Cheers will

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
While we are on the topic of Solar, can any of the more knowledgable member let me know if this looks like s reasonable buy?
If if not, point me in the right direction. Don't need the bees knees, just something to top up when the roof mount is in the shade.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=271820780005
They are a little more expensive than some of their competitors, but not a lot at $239 with free delivery, just under $2 per watt with a cheapo regulator. In this price range they are mostly of similar quality with cheap regulator thin cables and usually work OK. They tend to overstate watts, but not by much. Generally good value.

A quick eBay search bought up these at $210 with free delivery, they look very similar.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120-W-Foldi...22?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1e9920215e
I would check sellers feedback and get at least 120W folding and maybe go a bit higher at 160W or 180W. Higher wattage than that they get a bit overpriced, but this depends on your needs also check dimensions when folded for storage in your van.

A good mod would be to beef up cables and have regulator closer to your battery or even consider a better regulator, but as you said a basic cheap back up solar set up is what you would get. Hope this helps.

Regards
Terry

Cheyne78

May 30, 2014
Perth
While we are on the topic of Solar, can any of the more knowledgable member let me know if this looks like s reasonable buy?
If if not, point me in the right direction. Don't need the bees knees, just something to top up when the roof mount is in the shade.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=271820780005
Hi @ Soaring. Ive been looking at something similar. Beware that if one panel is in the shade and the other is in the sun if diodes are blocking and not bypass type it may cause an issue getting any charge to the regulator from the panel in the sun. I am by no means an expert but I'm looking into this since Ive got one roof mounted panel and had an after market install of a second portable panel via an anderson plug on the draw bar. I am sure any knowledgeable solar expert can put us (both) on the right track?

Brenton

Dec 17, 2014
I bought mine from Low Energy Developments in Vic they posted everything over and have been great panels

Good Thread here http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/the-solar-panel-thread.1729/

I installed 2 x 200 watt panels on my dads expanda from low energy as well, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200W-12V...13?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4d2fcdc985

and also installed one of these regulators http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/30A-MPPT...78?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4856f77a42

As you can see the cost is pretty cheap in comparison to what Jayco are charging for 1 x 120 watt panel. But I suppose it all comes down to whether you can do it yourself or not, as this is what saved us the money. It is very easy.

His van was pre-wired from factory by jayco so it made it easy. With 400w of solar he sees around 25amps coming into his batteries per hour. At the moment the van only has the standard 100ah battery powering some led lights but we are soon installed 360ah worth of batteries and hard wiring a 2500 watt inverter through the van to run all power points as he free camps a lot. This will run his coffee machine for a morning coffee and a microwave as well.

If you need any AGM batteries I am happy to offer advice and sell the batteries to anyone.

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/cheap-agm-batteries-for-sale.6264/

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
They are a little more expensive than some of their competitors, but not a lot at $239 with free delivery, just under $2 per watt with a cheapo regulator. In this price range they are mostly of similar quality with cheap regulator thin cables and usually work OK. They tend to overstate watts, but not by much. Generally good value.

A quick eBay search bought up these at $210 with free delivery, they look very similar.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120-W-Foldi...22?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1e9920215e
I would check sellers feedback and get at least 120W folding and maybe go a bit higher at 160W or 180W. Higher wattage than that they get a bit overpriced, but this depends on your needs also check dimensions when folded for storage in your van.

A good mod would be to beef up cables and have regulator closer to your battery or even consider a better regulator, but as you said a basic cheap back up solar set up is what you would get. Hope this helps.

Regards
Terry
Good info, thx Terry.
I have heard that putting the regulator close to the battery works better. Makes sense to reduce the lower voltage drop cable length.
Not sure if this would work in my application though, as I'm putting an Anderson plug on the drawbar connected directly to the battery(with fuse) and I want to be able to use that Anderson point as a power source for a compressor or anything else when the panel is not plugged in. I assume the regulators are one way only?

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Good info, thx Terry.
I have heard that putting the regulator close to the battery works better. Makes sense to reduce the lower voltage drop cable length.
Not sure if this would work in my application though, as I'm putting an Anderson plug on the drawbar connected directly to the battery(with fuse) and I want to be able to use that Anderson point as a power source for a compressor or anything else when the panel is not plugged in. I assume the regulators are one way only?
Yes I agree sometimes it is easier and cheaper to buy a bit more wattage than muck around with regulators and cables.

The regulators run in one direction, the simplest and cheapest mod in your case may be to up the diameter of the cables and shorten their length from the regulator to your Anderson plug. Limit the length of the upgraded cable to the the shortest cable length that will do the job. Cable is expensive so only bother doing this if you can get decent sized electrical or solar cable at a good price.
In general for your requirement I would shop around and get the most watts that I can afford, before prices get silly. Currently up to 160W folding panels complete with regulator and connectors still appear to be good value, if you are lucky you can find good value 180+W. The cheapo regulators that come with the panels are pretty reliable and will do the job. Just check out the quality of the connections to connectors and the regulators these are often a bit dodgy and sometimes either re-crimping or re- soldering may improve performance.

Don't be afraid to shorten the length of their cables (consistent with where you want to put the panels) from regulator to your Anderson plug this will help performance by reducing voltage drop from regulator. Also make sure their is a fuse between your Anderson plug and your caravan battery.

Reactions: Soaring