Info on installing battery 16.49.2

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Cheers Boots

Nice setup mate. Very tidy wiring. :)

Only thing though is that there is a blocking (one-way) diode in the aux connection that you loose 0.6-0.7 Vdc across.

I have mine going direct to the batery so the voltage is as high for charging as possible.

Cheers

Gil

Yeah that is how it came wired from jayco, yep i know about the diode http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/178-Check-your-Anderson-Plug-wiring?p=2214#post2214 but we have had no problems with the battery so have not bothered to move the connection. As you correctly point out there is .6v to be gained from taking the diode out of circuit and for those seeking to maximize their charging while driving that is a good step Thanks Gil

borstalboy

Apr 17, 2012
Northern Subs SA
Well just about to put the battery in I am going with a 120ah AGM. But I do have another silly question, I noticed in the pics there is a switch marked Battery. My van does not have one of these, so do I need one what does it do and what type should i get.

Also how should I secure the battery, there is space next to the st20 which in my van is under the drivers side booth seat along with the air con compressor

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
The battery switch is used to isolate the battery from all your load circuits (lights,pumps etc) and is generally a good thing to have in place. It can be used to remove the battery supply when you want to modify or repair your low voltage circuits or act as a fast way to disconnect your battery in an emergency. It can also be used to stop your battery from being drained by the small standby current draw of some electronic devices if the van is stored for an extended time without power connected.

As to what type to use, any robust switch that has a current rating higher than 20A DC will be suitable for an st20. if you look at the second picture that i posted earlier you can see the battery switch jayco use on the righthand side of the st2o.

Kartras

Mar 25, 2013
Hi Guys,

Firstly sorry for butting in on the thread.......

Very informative threads on here bout the solar/battery charging modifications. I have just picked up my 2005 outback explorer and I am planning to add solar/car charging to the van. Has anyone by chance got a copy of jaycos manual regarding the operation of their charging system from factory?

Cheers

kartras

Kartras

Mar 25, 2013
hi kartras

is it the manual for the setec you are after. if so you can get it here. not sure when the series 2 setecs came into play but i suspect yours might be one of the series 1 units.
thanx boots,

managed to find one eventually.

Blip59

Oct 24, 2010
Perth WA
Just had a look at my unit as it stands

1 there is no wiring what gauge do i need to get
2 no in line switch either

borstalboy

Apr 17, 2012
Northern Subs SA
Well I finally now have my battery I have gone with a 120ah AGM Amp-Tech that I picked up for $300. So now I need to pick up the 6mm cable, the in line fuse, battery switch and a volt meter. Is Jaycar the best place to pick this stuff up from or should I just go to Autobarn, Repco or somewhere like that.

Also will the Setec 20st 11 charge the battery well enough while travelling or should I look at using an anderson plug and dc to dc charger of some sort.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Well I finally now have my battery I have gone with a 120ah AGM Amp-Tech that I picked up for $300. So now I need to pick up the 6mm cable, the in line fuse, battery switch and a volt meter. Is Jaycar the best place to pick this stuff up from or should I just go to Autobarn, Repco or somewhere like that.

If you only need a short length of cable you might try your local auto sparky. They will sell you cable by the metre. All of the places you mention should be able to help with the items you require also online ebay etc as well.

will the Setec 20st 11 charge the battery well enough while travelling

The setec plays no real role in the dc to dc charging of your van battery. It provides a direct connection between your cars alternator and your van battery. The only thing it adds is a blocking diode to prevent power flowing from your van back to the car. As discussed earlier the diode does introduce a small voltage drop so some people prefer to connect direct to the battery to avoid this.

should I look at using an anderson plug and dc to dc charger of some sort

Whether you need an anderson plug and dc-dc charger will largely depend on your power requirements and the type of trips you do in your van.

What size fridge do you have and do you have any existing wiring in the car for auxilliary power to the van. If so what size is the wire

borstalboy

Apr 17, 2012
Northern Subs SA
OK well my 120ah AGM battery is now installed and I did it Yaaaaaaaaay!!! I picked up all of the parts form Autobarn except the digital volt meter which I got from Jaycar. Tomorrow I will take some picks and post them. It might be a simple job for some but for me its a proud moment. I have followed the advice from Boots and used his wiring diagram thanks heaps.

Here is how I did it.
1. 20amp inline fuse holder connected to battery +
2. 6mm cable connected to Battery switch
3. 6mm cable form Battery switch to setec unit Batt +
4. Voltmeter + cable connected to Sectec side of Battery switch(so only works when Battery is turned on)
5. Voltmeter - cable connected to Battery -
6. Battery - connected to Setec Batt - using 6mm cable
7. Battery switch and volt meter positioned next to Sectec unit in dining area.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
OK well my 120ah AGM battery is now installed and I did it Yaaaaaaaaay!!! I picked up all of the parts form Autobarn except the digital volt meter which I got from Jaycar. Tomorrow I will take some picks and post them. It might be a simple job for some but for me its a proud moment. I have followed the advice from Boots and used his wiring diagram thanks heaps.

Here is how I did it.
1. 20amp inline fuse holder connected to battery +
2. 6mm cable connected to Battery switch
3. 6mm cable form Battery switch to setec unit Batt +
4. Voltmeter + cable connected to Sectec side of Battery switch(so only works when Battery is turned on)
5. Voltmeter - cable connected to Battery -
6. Battery - connected to Setec Batt - using 6mm cable
7. Battery switch and volt meter positioned next to Sectec unit in dining area.

Congrats borstalboy, sounds like a great success and huge achievement for you!
There's no better feeling than doing it something yourself! :)
The electrics is something I haven't touched yet, so hats off to you for figuring it all out. There's so many electrically minded members on the forum with great advice, tips and tricks to share, so helpful!

borstalboy

Apr 17, 2012
Northern Subs SA
My Battery install showing battery main switch and voltmeter
WP_000522.jpg

Reactions: Lara

borstalboy

Apr 17, 2012
Northern Subs SA
Just install the LED lights I ordered form ebay. I have done the two ceiling lights with two 36leds per light and also one into each of the bed end reading lights. Now I cant wait until next fortnight when we go free camping in the van for the first time to see how it all goes.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Just reading this informative post and I have a question. @boots33 posted a wiring diagram which I can follow and am I correct in saying that the positive power side goes through a switch (battery switch) before connecting to the setec unit. It just seems that in a big van if you were running lights and stereos at the same time it would be a bit of current going through that switch which just seems to be a normal light switch. I thought the battery switch would be more substantial.

Cheers Geoff