Ignition Source For Relay

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
I put this on PCOA but there is a few pathy owners on here so though I would double up :)!

So here goes....

I have two relays I am looking for an ignition source for under the bonnet and whilst the car is wtih the misses I cannot go and look at the engine bay right now so thought I would ask the brains trust.

Most cars I have done in the future have fairly shoddy wiring with easily accessible wires to tap into but he Pathy is very solid and the looms are all covered and protected.

Not wanting to do a slash and dice to protect the wiring in the R51 I was wondering if anyone has an easily accessible ignition source for two relays in the engine bay?

Failing that I might just run a line from the Radio / Cigarette power into the engine bay.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I would go behind the fuse box on the left hand side only because a couple of screws has the glove box out and then you have easier access to see the firewall.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
I know, the pajero just had wires everywhere it was like an ignition source bonanza.

At least I know why they are charging so much for Nissan's its all the wiring protection they are charging you for :)!

And I always thought it was because it was a newer model when in fact I was wrong!!!

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Yep I am resided to the fact I am going to tap into the stereo source for both trigger wires :)....

Save me fiddling around!!!!

Thanks for looking though :)

And why is it I had planned to have this finished months ago but here I am three days before pickup furiously trying to wire the rig!!!

Also given up on fabricating a mount for the air fillers and will situate them in each corner of the bumper so need to finish that tomorrow...

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
I helped a mate remove his electric brake set up from a Prado 120 on the weekend, he had it wired up by an auto elec a few years ago. The luck bugger is about to pick up a new Prado 150! Any way the ignition source they used was in the Fuse/Relay box under the bonnet, they simply used a spade connector that plugged into an unused relay socket that became live when the ignition is switched on. The spade then had a mini fuse inline and then off the the relay. I've used the wiper motor in the past but this was such a simple option and no need to splice into anything else.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Cheers all for the advice!!!

I decided to run a power source from the stereo and it has worked a treat.

It did mean running another wire back through the firewall and to a block to distribute but well worth it in my opinion as it meant I didn't have to splice into the factory wiring anywhere so no possible blown fuses or light relays (don't ask) :)!!!

T minus 1.5 days and still need to re do my 12 pin plug and mount the air bag fillers in the bumper before van pickup dam its down to the wire fingers crossed for no voltage drop :)!!!