Electrical Hydrogen Injection Systems

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Here's one for the gurus and those with a bit knowledge of the humble combustion engine. Was having dinner with an elderly couple while floating across the South Pacific aboard our cruise ship for the school holidays. Kind of felt like we were in the van away some where seeing the ship was white on the outside and well furnished on the inside with all the things we've become accustomed to travelling in the van, the give away was all the water around exterior!! So back to the subject, this old bloke was a cracker to talk to and we got on really well talking about the gauge of steel in the cars from the 40's,50's to today's world, powerglide transmission, 9'' diff combination and the good days of when I was build race cars doing V8 conversions.

He got onto the subject of carby's vs injection and of course I was the injection side of the discussion and he was through and through double pumper Holley man running dual point ignition. I mentioned the fuel economy and running costs when he piped up and brought hydrogen injection to the conversation.

A very simple method of operation where a small form of battery emits its own chemical reaction into the inlet of the air box to generate a cleaner, powerful burn, thus reducing emissions and increasing kilometres between maintenance schedule and thus a better economy.

So I have reviewed a little bit and found this
video and of course there is many more out there. Its has got me thinking about this exploring the possible install from the generic and specific kits available out there.

Putting it out there for you all to review and post your thoughts, experience, knowledge in this topic in great interest to read about it form others.

Thx Pace.

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
I worked with an old Dutch bloke who had a setup on a Ford Festiva. He used to take 10L of unleaded and twenty litres of water and he would get around 1000kms from the tank.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
the Hydrogen injection was the forerunner to today's Gas Injection on cars & Trucks
the down side was the cost of the Hydrogen V's the cost of Gas - exactly the same principles
same as water injection - which was / is still being developed for more easy applications

getting back to your Video though @Pace by the sounds of it, they have now the technology to produce the Hydrogen on-board - which would eliminate the supply issues
(I didnt get to the end of the Video) but

whats the cost...................

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
My grandfather built a hydrogen powered Mini back in the 70's. It used electrolysis to separate the Hydrogen and Oxygen
The car was not fast by any means would go about 50 km/h but it was great watching peoples faces when you drove up to a tap and filled the car with water.
My thoughts on the whole hydrogen injection though is if it gave better fuel economy without that much cost and with not adverse affects you would see it more mainstream by now.

As for Grandads car yes it ran, yes you only needed to put water in it BUT it used a shite load of water to go a short way
I can't remember exactly but I remember he lived about 20kms from Busselton and we had to fill the tank before we went and when we got there so we could get back.

Reactions: bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Interesting concept.

I had a friend, years ago, who drove a tradies' van, powered by fat he picked up from restaurants.

I was busy at the time but always meant to find our more.

I'm sure others have done this as well but this post reminded me so I'll ask and hope I'm not off topic.

Reactions: bigcol

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
Interesting concept.

I had a friend, years ago, who drove a tradies' van, powered by fat he picked up from restaurants.

I was busy at the time but always meant to find our more.

I'm sure others have done this as well but this post reminded me so I'll ask and hope I'm not off topic.

Yep I ran my old Hilux with bio diesel, would not do it on a common rail though
really easy to make and ended up costing about 20c p/l
if you were really lazy you can just mix 50/50 diesel / fat and not worry about the process
this still works but you need to change the fuel filter more often and it does not run as well.

DO NOT DO THIS ON A NEWER DIESEL ENGINE

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
As said, I always wanted to find out more...but forgot all about it till this post.

Thanks....now back to the topic in hand (about which I know absolutely nothing, as with bio diesel) but am willing to learn.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol