How to cut "hatch" in tabletop for washing machine

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
Just starting the next project and could really use some help. I would like to install a sphere washing machine in one of the cupboards in my 16-49-3b which will accommodate the machine nicely, however I don't know how to go about getting a good clean cut for a hatch in the tabletop so I can lift it and access the machine below.

I'm reasonable with woodwork but by no means really good at it. Is this possible for a DIY jobbie? Problem is the laminate is already attached to the ply tabletop and dunno if I can cut thru it without splintering it.

Any advice much appreciated

Cheers
Mike

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Mike, I know what you mean about a nice clean cut. I think it would be very difficult if not impossible to get a neat cut like Jayco do in their factory. If it were me I'd either talk to someone who does kitchen benches and see if they can cut for you on CNC machines or you may be able to order a new bench top from Jayco with the hatch already done.
I saw an 18 with the washing mahine fitted and the gap around hatch in bench top was only about 1mm wide if that, maybe laser cut?

Cheers.

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
Hi Burnsy,

Yeah I'm thinking it might be too hard as well. I'll try to maybe get Jayco to do it. I rand the guys in bought the van from and they said they can't do it so maybe Jayco head quarters?

Cheers
Mike

grinner914

Aug 3, 2011
Bacchus Marsh VIC
I've dabbled a bit in wood work, and have a shed full of tools that I don't have time to use.

If you can't take the bench out, and need to do it in place, I think it is going to be really hard to make a good job of it.

You can get laminate cutting blades for a jig saw, these cut on the down stroke rather than the up stroke, but you will have to drill at least 1 starter hole in the bench to get the blade in.

A router would let you do a plunge cut, avoiding drilling the hole, but a straight cut router bit to do the job will be about 4mm thick, leaving a 4mm gap between the flap and the rest of the bench.

Maybe drop into your nearest cabinet maker and ask them, they may have some techniques that I'm not aware of.

Either way, I suggest that your practice on a scrap piece of melamine board (or 3 or 4) before you tackle the actual job.

Jason

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
If you can get the bench out, get it laser cut.
If not, as above it will be difficult. With a good jigsaw blade, and as Jason says cut on the down so the up doesn't lift and tear the laminate you can get a good clean cut. I'd also put masking tape on the laminate side which also helps reduce the furry edge on the laminate. (or add a second piece of timber over the top and clamp together so the laminate is sandwiched.
The hardest bit will be to get a clean straight line. No matter how good you are, its near impossible without a jig. It may be possible to make one in the shed first and overlay the bench with it to use as a straight edge guide. But practice, practice, practice.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Burnsy,

Yeah I'm thinking it might be too hard as well. I'll try to maybe get Jayco to do it. I rand the guys in bought the van from and they said they can't do it so maybe Jayco head quarters?

Cheers
Mike

It wouldn't hurt to ask HQ, obviously they can do it, just depends if they still have the laminate colour. The bench tops seem to be quite soft now, i had a new one sent to my repairer under warranty as it had a small dent in the top. This actually happened on our first trip but don't tell anyone! :)

Cheers.

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
In the cupboard immediately left of the door. It will go into the left side of the cupboard

Cheers
Mike

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
as others have mentioned laser cut would be the neatest option. Probably should be aware that if you are fitting a washing machine there may be an issue with moisture, most wet areas ,im assuming the bench top near the sink in vans are too , would be moisture resistant board but I wouldnt expect the top where you are thinking about fitting the washer would be. didnt mean to throw a dampener (Pardon the pun) on it but something to consider

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
Good point, thanks for that. I'll need to paint the inside of the cupboard with something.

Cheers
Mike