17' Series How much??

Siera

Oct 2, 2014
Country Vic
Hi everyone

I love the site very helpful. We are looking at a 17.56-2 and the advertised prices seem a little high what price should we be paying for a new van with the basic's. we are open to the outback model aswell.

I have been quoted $47,000 for OB and $43,000 for standard van.

I hope you can help.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Hi everyone

I love the site very helpful. We are looking at a 17.56-2 and the advertised prices seem a little high what price should we be paying for a new van with the basic's. we are open to the outback model aswell.

I have been quoted $47,000 for OB and $43,000 for standard van.

I hope you can help.
they where 49 at van show in march with all this free stuff I said to the salesman u think we are stupid I rang and quoted 47 but free stuff extra solar panel, side and end blocker , tv aerial , annex matting floor 49 tell him hes dreaming I said I will bye a second hand one let me convince u to bye new he said this better be good my kids are loosing the plot its time to go home , he came back with 43 that's for the outback yes he said BUT he stuffed up the price quoted standard price wright that down he did I looked I brought it with my extras 45 still cheaper he was very upset because they made a mistake but had to sell it to me lol lol
now this wont happen all the time but squeeze them hard 47 is there price but what can u through in to seal the deal I don't have to bye it play hard they do get everything u can and don't be shy to walk away and go elsewhere many people sell these vans

good luck I know that really doesn't help u but as I said PLAY HARD to get the best deal u can

Reactions: Drover

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day @Siera, and welcome to the forum. What @Bluey says is good, (just insert your own punctuation :D). make them work for their sale and don't be afraid to shop around. Many of the forum members have travelled interstate to buy their vans saving thousands on occasions. Good luck with the hunt and keep us informed as to how you do with the purchase.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Also @Siera add all your required extras when doing the intial haggling. You will generally have to pay full price for them later on if you change your mind on anything after signing up.

Good luck!!

Reactions: 17triton

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Yep shop around and every dollar you can screw them down for is better in your pocket and enjoy the process.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
sorry sierra I didn't say :welcome: to the expanda collective people who love there vans and the places they go and ideas they have

and yes sorry chartrock its not good I know my punctuation :doh: my wifes a teacher and tells me all the time , but I try hard but carnt slow my pointer finger down !!! will try better in future ????????? giddy up

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
sorry sierra I didn't say :welcome: to the expanda collective people who love there vans and the places they go and ideas they have

and yes sorry chartrock its not good I know my punctuation :doh: my wifes a teacher and tells me all the time , but I try hard but carnt slow my pointer finger down !!! will try better in future ????????? giddy up

Don't sweat it @Bluey. It keeps my mind agile :D & I enjoy your input. Just excuse my warped sense of humour. :frusty:

Reactions: 17triton and dagree

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
I got my 17.56-1 for just under $43g with about $6-7g of extras including show extra. I pick it up in three weeks. These are the extras:

Reich caravan mover
Alpine Annex Walls
Sunshade annexe
Annex flooring
Bed end waterproof covers
Extra gas bottle/fitting
Underslung axels
Gas bayonet
Extended towbar
Battery, solar panels, regulator
Hotwater unit
External Shower
Wine guard antenna
Drifter control panel
Extra water tank
Anderson plug to battery

Hoffy

Jun 10, 2014
Gold Coast, Queensland
What are you towing with @Siera ?

We have ordered a 17.56.2 and pick up next month. We got them down to $47k with about $3-4k extras thrown in. Happy with our deal and service we have received.

Bit of a bummer if you can't go with the van you want :(

Siera

Oct 2, 2014
Country Vic
Hi @Hoffy congrats on the new arrival.

We have a 2013 150 Prado TD Auto. Is yours a Touring or an Out Back. The misses is happy with a touring but i just like the fact if you did want to get of the main road you can do it with a bit of confidence. 3 to 4k of extras in for free is always a good thing.

Hoffy

Jun 10, 2014
Gold Coast, Queensland
Yeh, I'm hearing you @Siera, ours is the outback model for that reason.

I'm a little surprised that you wouldn't be able to tow though. A lot of expanda OB owners are prado owners including me. Were you looking at getting heaps of extras that would put you over the 2500kg?

Siera

Oct 2, 2014
Country Vic
Sales bloke telling me without extras we would be looking around 2600 this would be for a 2015 model. i dont think there will be any change from the current model though.
I see there are a lot of OB owners driving Prados so i am not sure why he would be saying that. Alot of people seem to be changing plates with vehicle payload so i think that would be the way to go if it was over th weight. I can't see that being an issue when selling the van down the track anyway.

Reactions: Racer

Cheyne78

May 30, 2014
Perth
@Siera we've just picked up our 17.56 02 with ext drawbar and additional 100ah battery (nothing else of significant weight). Total weight was 2613 inc 228 on the ball. It is marginally over the weight of our 150 Prado but it towed like a dream when we took it away on the weekend. Each to their own, Ive elected not to have the plate changed to 2500kg total because we may change the car sooner. That has its inherent risks that are well documented elsewhere on the forum. Good luck with the decision but a great choice of van!

Reactions: dagree

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
@Siera we've just picked up our 17.56 02 with ext drawbar and additional 100ah battery (nothing else of significant weight). Total weight was 2613 inc 228 on the ball. It is marginally over the weight of our 150 Prado but it towed like a dream when we took it away on the weekend. Each to their own, Ive elected not to have the plate changed to 2500kg total because we may change the car sooner. That has its inherent risks that are well documented elsewhere on the forum. Good luck with the decision but a great choice of van!
cheyne78 can I ask u what ur plate says ur weight on the ball is loaded and un loaded I changed my payload to match the prado but the ball weight I carnt change my plate says 185 unloaded 223 loaded but its 220 empty 255 just with water mmmmmmm remember jayco weigh them before gas bottles are put on very misleading to us and some fulse advertising too I think re there catalogs so sierra can I say have it weighed by a good scale from a tow bar fitter to be sure because jayco don't even know how much there vans or tow ball weight is im sure thinking vcat maybe an avenue for me with no response from them after speaking to head man at hq weeks ago now looking to up grade to bt50 or dmax so I can put some stuff in the van not drive around empty when going away not happy jan :mad2:

Reactions: Smirke

Cheyne78

May 30, 2014
Perth
Hi @Bluey, unloaded 223 loaded 278, thats way different to yours so I am not sure why there is such a big difference. No idea what it actually is because ball weight scales are along way down my priority list at the moment....

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Hi all for that price yous are saying I could sell yous a 2013 20/63-1 triple bunks and lots more as new lol just though I chuck That in mid 40s

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Hi @Bluey, unloaded 223 loaded 278, thats way different to yours so I am not sure why there is such a big difference. No idea what it actually is because ball weight scales are along way down my priority list at the moment....
don't by them if u can get someone at a tow bar shop or different van place weigh it for u just so u know I've learnt not to believe
there plates only if u can when u can ones u bye arnt good enough u need them calibrated so they need to good scales everyone
should do this and put there vans on a weighbridge full of water and empty

Racer

Jun 17, 2014
NSW
We not long ago picked up our 17.56-2 OB with listed extras. When purchasing make sure you understand what is included as standard because you hear time and time again people getting 'extras' that are actually standard items. The ATM came in the standard 2524kg and we had the plate modified to come under by a couple of kgs to meet my towing specs. We watched the second hand market for some time and just like purchasing our Flamingo you either spend the same or a touch more to get a brand new van. In 3 years we lost $3000 on our Flamingo....

Our extras on the Expanda are;

*External hot/cold shower
* Drifter Panel
* Fixed double bunks
* Extended drawbar
* External Picnic table
* TV Outlet on outside
* TV antenna with 12v booster
* 19.5" Sphere TV
* Fusion Stereo with internal and external speakers
* Stone Deflector
* Aluminum washing broom/brush