How do you like your 14.44-4

funstopper

Apr 2, 2012
Central Coast, NSW
Hi all,

I'm currently in neogations with my family in relation to getting an Expanda 14.44-4 which will be for my brother and I to share. We currently have a 2008 Flamingo camper which has been great but its not the thing to be trying to put up and down every day when travelling. My father in an ex Jayco dealer so caravaning is in the blood of our family so we will be keeping the Flamingo in case we all go away.

Our family consist of my wife and I, 4 year old and a 5 month old.

I like the new 16.49-4 which is the shortened version of the 17.49-2 but we think our tow vehicles will be abit small being an Outlander and X-Trail. Wish I bought the Xtrail myself as it is pretty cool car pulling our 2.14 tonne Haines Signature out of the water last week in front wheel drive only.

I was told today June delivery so we put our name on one.

Thanks

Scott

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi Champ.

I`ve got a 14.4.2 2009 Expanda Outback and I love it.

My family`s a bit older. There are 4 of us. My two kids are 14 and 16. The 16 yr old is 6ft 5, and the 14 yr old is slowly catching up.
We`ve organised to put the boys out in the annexe instead of the van, but in saying that all four of us sit in the van eating, watching tv etc quite comfortably.

The thing I love about the 14 footers is the ease of towing and reversing into any tight little spot.

I think the models with bunk beds and double bed at the other end would be great for a young family. I`d get an annexe as well though

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hi Scott,

We have had our 14.44-4 for about 10 months now (one of the first off the production line:rockon:). Going from the Hawk we love ours for the ease of setup and the fact the kids get their own beds (age 2 1/2 and 4 1/2). Being able to leave bedding etc on the bunks while in transit is handy, and keeps the dinette free from clutter for road side lunch stops.

Its not too big, and if you check the measurements i would guess only about a foot longer than the Flamingo (i think). I did notice the difference in wind drag when towing compared to our old Hawk though. Like Coastrunner said, parking is much easier than the bigger models and i see this every time i go away with the inlaws and their 17 foot Sterling. We can fit our little van into so many little spots they would never get into. Which means we can get away from the crowds a bit usually.

We also feel the kitchen is a good size with plenty of bench space. As you can probably tell we love our little van, and if you are happy to get a family van without a internal shower/toilet, thats easy to tow and park, then i can highly recoomend it:tea:

funstopper

Apr 2, 2012
Central Coast, NSW
Sounds great. I did see the 16.49.4 in the yard the other day which I really liked but I dont want to buy a new car to tow it with. It will have a few options including aircon, full annexe, bigger fridge, two water tanks so cant wait. I have planned a Great Ocean Road trip for Nov/Dec but will need to plan a trip away in August as I wont be able to wait that long.