Electrical How did I not know about this?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Wasn't all that bad before we started using metal battens for the Gyprock and steel frame houses, doesn't take very much for a screw to make a batten to be live but not earthed until you grab it.............then we fill the cavity with fluff to hide everything, even seen exhaust fans and lights covered by insulation, not good practice at all....................... Thankfully these new breakers work way better than the wire fuse, saved my bacon once or twice..............

In Canberra they don't have a requirement for rental housing to have RCD's or even circuit breakers, the old ceramic wire fuse block still in use, talk about backward.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi,

or someone who has a long 15A extension lead coiled up on a hose reel, winding out exactly what is needed to reach the power pole, with most of it still wound on the reel. Looks so neat. Then they push it out of the way somewhere out of site under the van. Saw this and tried as tactfully as I could to explain the situation, but ended up walking away before it turned into an argument. No one was going to tell him how to do anything. Since then I always just walk on by.

take care
Mike
But Mike @mikerezny and @Drover , it is a great way to magnetise your large screw driver for nothing! Just put the driver into the centre of the of the hose reel the wire is wound around and hey presto! a well magnetised driver.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
But Mike @mikerezny and @Drover , it is a great way to magnetise your large screw driver for nothing! Just put the driver into the centre of the of the hose reel the wire is wound around and hey presto! a well magnetised driver.
Does it work for a hammer ?? being a non techo, screwdrivers are above my pay grade :becky: :becky: :becky: :becky: :becky:

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
sorry to disappoint you but that will not magnetise your screwdriver since it is alternating current. A magnetic field produced in a solenoid fed by a DC current is needed. Or a strong permanent magnet will do. The one from an old speaker will produce a great magnetic screwdriver.

In fact, if the alternating magnetic field around a coiled up power lead is strong enough it will actually act as a demagnetiser. Remember the demagnetisers that were used to demagnetise the heads on tape recorders and cassette players that built up a residual magnetism from an unbalanced magnetic field provided by the magnetic tape streaming past. They were just a solenoid fed from 240V AC.

take care
Mike

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Boots in Action

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
HGi,
sorry to disappoint you but that will not magnetise your screwdriver since it is alternating current. A magnetic field produced in a solenoid fed by a DC current is needed. Or a strong permanent magnet will do. The one from an old speaker will produce a great magnetic screwdriver.

In fact, if the alternating magnetic field around a coiled up power lead is strong enough it will actually act a demagnetiser. Remember the demagnetisers that were used to demagnetise the heads on tape recorders and cassette players that built up a residual magnetism from an unbalanced magnetic field provided by the magnetic tape streaming past. They were just a solenoid fed from 240V AC.

take care
Mike

Well @Boots in Action , he didn't get suckered in my that cunning ploy .................:oops: ............... you will have to try harder next time..............

• Sad
Reactions: Boots in Action