Electrical Hot wire size

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
I am looking at wiring a hot hire from the battery to a 12 pin plug at the rear of the tug to power the fridge while I drive. The question I'm ask asking is should I use 6 b&s cable and will it fit into a standard 12 pin socket or can I get away with normal 6mm cable. I have been doing some research and I'm confused which isn't hard. I have contacted jayco and was informed normal 6mm wire would be fine without any voltage drop. Does this sound right?...
Thanks

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I am looking at wiring a hot hire from the battery to a 12 pin plug at the rear of the tug to power the fridge while I drive. The question I'm ask asking is should I use 6 b&s cable and will it fit into a standard 12 pin socket or can I get away with normal 6mm cable. I have been doing some research and I'm confused which isn't hard. I have contacted jayco and was informed normal 6mm wire would be fine without any voltage drop. Does this sound right?...
Thanks
a sparky just did mine today he used 8 b/s heavy duty and 6mm for the earth im no sparky but that's what he did you want to get a red ark battery isolator too so you don't drain your battery when you stop !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I ran 6b&s for my hotwire through an enormous relay and circuit breaker, to an Anderson. On the last van I ran the 6b&s through the 12 pin. 8b&s should fit into the the 12 pin but 6b&s won't. 8b&s is a little light on if you intend to use if for fridge power. The recommended max average for 8b&s over 8 metres is around 15amps. To get the 6b&s into the 2 pin, I had to solder the end of the wire through its core then grind the solid lump until I could squeeze that into the pin hole ... not ideal but it worked fine with only a small amount of voltage drop

Untitled.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
a sparky just did mine today he used 8 b/s heavy duty and 6mm for the earth im no sparky but that's what he did you want to get a red ark battery isolator too so you don't drain your battery when you stop !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey @Bluey the 8b&s circuit would be limited to the capacity of the 6mm, run 8b&s negative to match the live side.

Reactions: dagree and Tone

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Hey @Bluey the 8b&s circuit would be limited to the capacity of the 6mm, run 8b&s negative to match the live side.
mmmm im not a sparky he is very good did prado now the cruiser it was already wired just put 12 in to suit the van just went off the invoice of what he did will ask him when he comes back to put internal switch for winch bull bar light wiring is crap he will fix it all

Reactions: Crusty181

darcy305

Jul 24, 2011
Meadow Heights
Thanks for that. I have a redarc isolator, but think I need to put heavier wire to the car plug to cater for the van battery and larger fridge of the new van anybody hve a guestimate to an auto-elec to do this????

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Thanks for that. I have a redarc isolator, but think I need to put heavier wire to the car plug to cater for the van battery and larger fridge of the new van anybody hve a guestimate to an auto-elec to do this????
ur in vic I use auto first aid they come to you this cost is 80 to come then cost to wire the car depending the extent of what you want done if just running hot wire not that much but if fitting brake controller as well couple of hundred they all charge this much I know its more for them to come on my days off , but time with my kids is priceless dropping cars off picking up headache having it all day so I get them to come to me there number 1300 661 526 they are good its up to you what works best for you and you can watch them if it takes an hour there here an hour and gone they can come to your work to