Hot water systems

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
We've got a 10.5 MJ per hour hot water system in the van but have no idea of what the real consumption would be.
I know the fridge could go for as long as 3 weeks on a 9kg gas bottle but what about the HWS.

Would someone know how long we could get out of one 9kg bottle with just everyday stuff of doing the dishes and a 2 x 2minute showers.

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Last year on our 3 month trip mostly free camping we averaged 7-10 days from 1x 9kg, showering every day (2 adults and 2 kids) fridge on gas and cooking we would also turn off the H/W service overnight and during the day when camped and would just switch on when needed.

Our fridge also cycles on gas, the flame goes completely out and re-lights via electronic pizo when cycling.

Christian

Reactions: NissPat

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
We spent 30 nights in bush camps on our WA trip plus a few nights on our way to Townsville earlier in the year. We had two showers each night and ran the fridge each time we stopped and we are only part way through our 2nd 9Kg bottle. Like Stone Stomper, we turned the HW sytem off after showers and there was still enough hot water for washing up in the morning. Our stove is only used to boil water for tea and coffee as we cook on a small (3Kg) burner. Very happy with gas usage

Reactions: NissPat

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Our gas hot water system turns itself off when the water is heated. Is that normal cause it dont reignite itself. Only reason I know this is cause we free camped overnight out of Merimbula . Put the hotwater onto gas. Heated up then in the morning gas was not heating water. This dont sound right to me but do you have to manually reignite once the water has been heated & it turns off ?

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
He Doggy, do you have a switch to turn the gas on automatically? Ours is mounted alongside the power supply and we usually turn it off after showers as we find the thing starts up half way through the night when the water in it cools down a bit and wakes us up.

To answer your question, no, you should not have to re-ignite it, it should relight when the stored water temperature drops.

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Chatrock, Yeah mate I got that switch up next to the circuit breaker.

I understand it now mate. Maybe the water had not got to a cold temp for it to switch the water service back on to re- heat it.

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Cheers Niss & JDonly 1.

Hows your rig going anyway Niss. I still havent had enough grit to have ago at sealing up the kitchen benchtop mate. Got all the gear to do it keep putting it off each time I go in to have a go at it. Lol!

Missus bought bloody red cordial & put it in the pantry. Had flip top lid on it . We arrived at friends place in Mission Beach , she opened the door & the floor was bloody red.:faint:All I could do was walk away with a few F's thrown in. Was thinking of sealing pantry shelves too for any unforeseen future incidents.
Spent four hours cleaning it all up. Good as gold now .
Tip is dont buy red cordial with flip top lids. Didn't have the heart to say I told you so though to her ! :noidea:LOL.

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
Cheers Niss & JDonly 1.

Hows your rig going anyway Niss. I still havent had enough grit to have ago at sealing up the kitchen benchtop mate. Got all the gear to do it keep putting it off each time I go in to have a go at it. Lol!

Missus bought bloody red cordial & put it in the pantry. Had flip top lid on it . We arrived at friends place in Mission Beach , she opened the door & the floor was bloody red.:faint:All I could do was walk away with a few F's thrown in. Was thinking of sealing pantry shelves too for any unforeseen future incidents.
Spent four hours cleaning it all up. Good as gold now .
Tip is dont buy red cordial with flip top lids. Didn't have the heart to say I told you so though to her ! :noidea:LOL.

Hahahah, thanks for the cordial lid tip mate...I'm sure it was fun cleaning it up. Good idea sealing all pantry too

The rig is going good mate but not a lot of use outside of the backyard...lol, just in the process of changing the Patrol to a manual so i've got more towing capacity just so it's all legit with insurance mob.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Our gas hot water system turns itself off when the water is heated. Is that normal cause it dont reignite itself. Only reason I know this is cause we free camped overnight out of Merimbula . Put the hotwater onto gas. Heated up then in the morning gas was not heating water. This dont sound right to me but do you have to manually reignite once the water has been heated & it turns off ?

Hey Doggy, if you are having issues getting the HWS lighting or re-ingnighting on gas then contact Jayco. I have been having issues of late and my dealer said they have new covers that should fix the problem. Apparently suburban have been having issues lately, and this issue is common but fixable. My van is going back to the dealer next month and that one item to be fixed (on a list of many again:noidea:)