18' Series Hot water leaking

Linc

May 10, 2020
Cardiff
Hi guys, been a while but we finally got out for a second trip in our van after the madness of this year died down a bit, and we had some trouble! First of all the hot water system started leaking after a few days.. i suspect the boiler it has rusted through as i have noticed a little bit of flakey rust around the bottom. When we bought the van a few months ago the old owner said he had just done the anode so i have never even thought to check it. First van Learning curve! Anyway is it possible to get a replacement boiler? And/or what are the best options. (2008 18.57). The other issue we had was the fridge. I'm guessing its fuse as it still works fine on gas. Anyway any input would be helpful and much appreciated as usual!

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi guys, been a while but we finally got out for a second trip in our van after the madness of this year died down a bit, and we had some trouble! First of all the hot water system started leaking after a few days.. i suspect the boiler it has rusted through as i have noticed a little bit of flakey rust around the bottom. When we bought the van a few months ago the old owner said he had just done the anode so i have never even thought to check it. First van Learning curve! Anyway is it possible to get a replacement boiler? And/or what are the best options. (2008 18.57). The other issue we had was the fridge. I'm guessing its fuse as it still works fine on gas. Anyway any input would be helpful and much appreciated as usual!

Hi @Linc , if your fridge works okay on gas, the only reasons it does not work on electricity could be fuse as you mentioned, or not connected to the 240 volt line. Check that the 240 volt 3 pin plug is properly connected and the switch is "ON". I assume that all other 240 volt outlets are working properly and that the POWER switch in the van is also "ON". The fuse for the 3 way fridge is at the top of fridge and is usually 20A. Unfortunately it is necessary to move fridge forward to gain access to that fuse and that means disconnecting gas and electrical lines as well as the holding screws, so do all other checks first to save yourself a lot of hassle.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
HWS...... If its a Suburban, check that the anode is actually screwed in properly, if its leaking inside the van then have a close look at the fittings where the pipes connect to the tank may be rusted badly enough to leak... replacement of whole unit is the usual option and its not cheap.
If its leaking from the outside it more than likely is the PRV, if it is they are the same as a household one, so just replace.

Fridge.......... depending on model but firstly make sure power is actually getting to the unit, look in a nearby cupboard for a power point and make sure it is turned on and the selector is on the right position, it will take awhile before you know for sure but the exhaust vent outside should get warm after an hour... 12v is only for when driving it won't work when unhooked............again model is very important for sorting out the procedure as there are various systems of control.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The fridge may have a buggered 240v element. With the van being 12 years old if its had a good workout over those 12 years with the fridge use favouring 240v its not out if the question the element has been too well loved and just pooped itself. Try all the other options first because youll need to remove the fridge to replace that element. Depending on the fridge make and model you maybe able to test the element resistance before completely removing the fridge