Exterior Hoses for new 17.56.2

Moira

Jan 27, 2014
Hi Everyone,

Sorry to be a pain (I know this would be in the manual, however I am at work and want to start looking to buy accessories on line now) we purchased a new 17.56.2 back in July and will be using it for the first time in two weeks. You would think with a caravan of this price it would include some hoses, but no. I have just purchased a good quality drinking water hose off ebay but I am wondering, do I need a filter to attach to this as well? (I had a filter installed into the sink - was an optional extra, does this still mean I would need a filter on the hose?). How many other hoses do you need for the toilet/shower, etc?

Sorry to trouble you and thank you in advance for your time.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
No trouble at all. You'll need a drain hose, though as we got our 56.2 it was supplied with the dual (ensuite/ sink), attachment piping which the drain hose generically connects to. Toilet goes straight to it own on board cassette which someone will need to dispose of properly (YouTube it, theres many video's posted).

The drain hose is much like the washing machine drain hose typically used in houshold (to give you a mental picture) sourced from Bunnings even.

As for filter, we dont run ann inline inlet filter when in caravan park though would suggest it else where.

Cheers Pace.

Reactions: Moira

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
A grey water hose, black corrugated plastic job 10mts from Bunnings at $9 works as well as the $40 job from caravan shop, make up a garden hose about as long as your van it's handy for filling tanks, recharging toilet, washing sand off feet etc plugs into tap on A frame. Water hose $30 and in line filter $20 from Bunnings also, I just plug in (with standard hose fittings) the filter on the water line at parks and when filling the tanks at other places (when I remember).
Most bits can be found at Bunnings/Supercheap etc far cheaper then van shops most times.
The grey water hose can be cut in half and a bit of pipe off cut used to join back up, handy when you only need a short bit.

Reactions: Moira

Moira

Jan 27, 2014
A grey water hose, black corrugated plastic job 10mts from Bunnings at $9 works as well as the $40 job from caravan shop, make up a garden hose about as long as your van it's handy for filling tanks, recharging toilet, washing sand off feet etc plugs into tap on A frame. Water hose $30 and in line filter $20 from Bunnings also, I just plug in (with standard hose fittings) the filter on the water line at parks and when filling the tanks at other places (when I remember).
Most bits can be found at Bunnings/Supercheap etc far cheaper then van shops most times.
The grey water hose can be cut in half and a bit of pipe off cut used to join back up, handy when you only need a short bit.

Thanks so much for all the information. It truly helps!

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Agree re bunnings for the grey water hose, but I tried their drinking water (tank filling) hose and it had a horrible plastic taste. I recomend getting a good drinking water hose from a caravan shop or online.

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
Also remember to buy some 1/2" and 3/4" screw on tap fittings to connect your hose to. Haven't been to a van park yet that I didn't need to use mine!!! A roll of thread tape will stop drips and muddy puddles around your site. Have a great trip!

Reactions: Racer and Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi @Moira and welcome. Its important to keep your water tank full when the vans not being used i.e. at home or in storage. This stops mildew forming, smells and bad water taste. Water doesn't go off. Ive never bothered, but some find it a comfort to drain and refill just before leaving on a trip. We leave home with a full tank of good home water for drinking. The first thing we do at any stop is taste the water. If its good we top up the tank before leaving, if its not we wait till the next place. We don't use the tank for anything other than drinking water and over our longest trip (3 Months) the 80ltr tank topped up when we find good drinking water has found us never having to use any crap local water to drink. We've not needed a filter for that reason.

A lesson for the uninitiated.

Many years ago; for many years; we found that every damn place we travelled to, the water taste was atrocious ... and not only was it atrocious, but the same horrible atrocious shite taste in every single place. It was uncanny that places in all directions of the compass, thousands of km's apart could all have the shite tasting water. I couldnt believe we could be so unlucky ... continually .... every single trip. We would buy water to have coffee (I drink coffee until it pour out my ears)

After I bought a drinking water hose, and kept the garden hose just for the garden, all the places that previously had shite water, all apparently must have dug new clean tasting dams .... I know what your thinking, odd coincidence; yes, but a coincidence none the less.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@relgate my bunnings hose is white with blue stripes with hard fittings on the ends and is a Hardie Pope I think, no strange taste at all, branded as drinking water hose .

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Heard a few complaints about the blue hoses, white seem to be the colour to get. Mine is white which I bought years ago and I've never had a problem with bad tasting water.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Not 100% sure if correct but I was told that the white hoses are the only real "food grade" water hose?
Always used white with no issue. Just ensure that the label states food grade when buying.