hitch block added - now bars foul on chains

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I added the 50mm hitch block before our trip and though all was good. However, on our trip I found that the WDH bars have risen accordingly, and as I turn tightly (ie corners at low speed, revering into a site etc) the bars foul on the safety chains between van and car. We get a lot of 'groaning' from the metal.

Do others find the same also? Any suggestions? Show the angle of the towball be changed to tilt down more?

IMG_0728.JPG

Wado

May 7, 2011
New England
Hi, we have the Easy-Lift WDH set up but no hitch block. Our chains swing clear of the WDH bars but the whole lot makes a racket when cornering. With no previous WDH experience, I wondered if the noises were to be expected or if the set-up was incorrect? Set up was done by the dealer and took plenty of time so I would expect it to have been correct.

Reactions: straydingo

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Hi guys our set up is the same - creaks and groans , though it has quietened down by using the white towball grease supplied by hayman reece.
I always disconnect the bars b4 reversing anyway just something i do !!

cheers Russell

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
My HR WDH creaks and groans on corners etc. I have tried lubricating, silicone spray etc to no effect. My only recommendation would be to disconnect the bars when reversing onto a site as the tight (really tight in some van parks) turn required takes them to their limits. I have even left fitting them until clear of the site when leaving.

The cam setup on the HR hitch is just to change the angle of the tow ball with th object of getting it perpendicular. I don't know what effect it would have if the ball was tilted back but I think vertical gives you the best all round movement tolerance.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
One thing I have seen before is where the WDH has been set up incorrectly to such a point that it groaned like this. The bars were under so much strain that metal fatigue on the bars was visible where the bars were inserted into the housing. If you have anything like that then I would be asking for it to be reconfigured.