20' Series Hi ive just ordered a 20.64 OB.

kim

Mar 29, 2016
Perth
Hi ive ordered a 20.64 OB it with storm covers, leather upholstery, (they don't do vinyl) so with 4 little kids its easier to clean

It came with a show package of extras, TV, DVD speakers etc Drifter LED TV aerial

Some advice. what else should I get? extra battery, goto extra solar.

I suspect mostly parks until we get used to it thenm some bush

I will get a reversing camera fitted

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Congrats on the new purchase @kim and welcome to the forum.

Plenty of ideas and help from posts and members on here.... Extra battery and solar? All depends on how long you want to free camp etc.
We only have the standard 120W solar panel and single battery and have been OK so far for up to 4 days BUT!!!!!! Thinking about a portable solar panel with built in controller for those days parked under a tree if needed. (We do have an el cheapo generator if needed in emergencies though)

You will need a fat wallet,folks on here will help you spend it all:D
No we don't ;)

Keep your eyes on the WA Meets/Member Section and join in on one of our get togethers when you can.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol and SMJ x2

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hi @kim . I'd definitely get the extended drawbar in prep for the box on the front that you will need, and also get them to mount the spare on the drawbar if it isn't underneath. Oh and make sure you get the light mounted in the correct spot in the bunks if you get the fold away dinette type. Plus the extra power points and 12v in the bunk area for charging their 'toys'

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol and dagree

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Welcome @kim try and get everything you want or may want with the van build. It then counts as the van, everything you add later will come off the payload (your stuff) ask , insist you get a 600kg payload as it gives you more freedom for loading. I think it's always easier to find a few extra $$ now than wish you had done something that is impossible to ad later on.

Reactions: bigcol

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi ive ordered a 20.64 OB it with storm covers, leather upholstery, (they don't do vinyl) so with 4 little kids its easier to clean

It came with a show package of extras, TV, DVD speakers etc Drifter LED TV aerial

Welcome @kim and great choice of van. We are currently on a long jaunt with a single 150w panel and 2x120amp/hr batteries.

We free camp a lot and find it ample for us. I have a portable 100w panel for the Engel in the car, which we could connect to the van if its ever needed.

Extra annex side light and an off side light. Ext drawbar. Upgrade to the current best aircon, was Ibis when we got ours. Wall blocking for TV and bike rack, cant be done later. Outside TV point.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Re-swing the door so it doesn't hit the kitchen window.

If you are considering a 2nd battery get it fitted in the factory so it doesn't come off your payload.

Consider a 3rd water tank, we always have plenty of power but run out of water regularly

kim

Mar 29, 2016
Perth

Welcome @kim try and get everything you want or may want with the van build. It then counts as the van, everything you add later will come off the payload (your stuff) ask , insist you get a 600kg payload as it gives you more freedom for loading. I think it's always easier to find a few extra $$ now than wish you had done something that is impossible to ad later on.
Thanks. I did get the extra water tank, I think ill add the extra battery now because of the weight issue. When upgrading to 600Kg, what does that mean, just stronger suspension? Seems like a longer draw bar is recommended. How much longer is it? Is it just to make reversing easier, plus allowing for the tool box? Cheers

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
How much longer is it? Is it just to make reversing easier, plus allowing for the tool box?
Can't help with the payload question but guessing they just change details on the compliance plate? The extended draw bar is 300mm longer than standard. You are correct about it making it easier for reversing and helps with allowing for a toolbox or bike racks etc.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Agree with Dagree.......300mm longer and well worth it unless you're thinking of grabbing a ferry ride to Tasmania.

But still worth it.

Reactions: bigcol and achjimmy

kim

Mar 29, 2016
Perth
Agree with Dagree.......300mm longer and well worth it unless you're thinking of grabbing a ferry ride to Tasmania.

But still worth it.
Thanks, does that mean the RV would be too long for the ferry? I don't really fancy the reversing, ive got a big drive but difficult to reverse in, so anything that makes it easier is essential

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
They'll change the payload usually within the specs of your suspension. Ie there's a 2660kg axle group. On a starcraft 17:58-3 which has an ATM around 2450kg they ll up it to 2600kg but they want go over your axle group (unless it suits them but that's another story) .

Just tell them it's estiential? You ve got three tanks so with LPG that 250 plus kgs off your payload gone!

kim

Mar 29, 2016
Perth
They'll change the payload usually within the specs of your suspension. Ie there's a 2660kg axle group. On a starcraft 17:58-3 which has an ATM around 2450kg they ll up it to 2600kg but they want go over your axle group (unless it suits them but that's another story) .

Just tell them it's estiential? You ve got three tanks so with LPG that 250 plus kgs off your payload gone!
Thanks everybody

Ive added a few things, draw bar, extra battery, also now 2 x 150W solar, plus a couple of extra lights