Hi from WA everyone.

Herbertclan

Mar 6, 2016
Perth
Hi everyone, just a quick hello and introduction.

We are a family of 4 (kids are 8 and 10)

Very new to the caravan game and just purchased our first van, was a roller coaster ride trying to pick a van and find what we wanted in the secondhand market but are thrilled with what we got. The forum has already been a great help filtering the wheat from the chaff with our desicion making process and look forward to contributing where we can.
The commissioner of finances is already nervous with all the ideas I'm getting from this forum so I have been banished to just dreaming at this point until she recovers from the caravan purchase.

Only just got the van and spent my holidays getting the car fitted with the required bits and bobs and putting our own touches to the van. No shake down as yet and will try and post some pictures on the maiden trip.

Van is a 2012 17.55-5SH Discovery OB
Extras:
150l fridge
Roof top ac
Twin Batteries
Upgraded solar (what ever that means?)

Tug is a 2008 GXL Prado D4D and looks like it will be up to the task.

Cheers Max, Elisha and the kids.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Congrats on the new van @Herbertclan and welcome to the forum from another Sand Groper.... Wait Awhiler and Perthite ;)

Enjoy the mods when "The Boss" allows.
Keep your eyes on the WA Meets / Members section and tag along on one of our trips..... Plenty of discussions and banter had by all!!!!
(Trips have been a bit quiet lately but wait until the weather improves and things should pick up!)

Herbertclan

Mar 6, 2016
Perth
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Will keep an eye on the local group meets dagree and thanks for the invite along :biggrin-26: Could be a good way to pop the trainer wheels off without the pressure of strangers looking on :behindsofa:

Cheers Max,

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
welcome to the forum @Herbertclan
lots of people on here with a passion for their Vans and Mods

as stated, we ALL have a Minister of Finance, the trick is making it look like its their idea

as @dagree said, keep an eye out for our infrequent get together's

Could be a good way to pop the trainer wheels off without the pressure of strangers looking on

Oh no............. we will stare......... but we wont comment unless asked - we do have manners you know............:angel-87::angel::angel-87::angel::amen:

Herbertclan

Mar 6, 2016
Perth
Thanks Wanda and Nick,

Yes we love the 17.55 layout as well Nick, at first we were concerned with the bunk arrangement but soon saw more versatility as the kids get older, looked at the Starcraft but felt the permanent bunks took away a bit of storage and being 6'2" I had my feet tangled in the hidy holes at the end of the bed, we would of made it work but the 17.55 layout was on top of the list.

Trying to get it on the scales this weekend so hope to have a couple of pictures to post up as well.

Cheers Max,

Reactions: Delano and Rockape

Herbertclan

Mar 6, 2016
Perth
Got to the weigh bridge this morning in the lovely Perth weather we are having, the rain has been a little in-relenting lately (not that I mind too much, crops don't grow with out water) so I didn't get into the carpet today.

I will say I'm a little confused with the weights of the caravan?? The van was essentially empty with the acception of the 2 x full gas cylinders and a few bits and bobs in the front boot (about 10-15kgs). The van had a unhitched weight of 1960kgs (plated tare of 1797kg) and once we did the ball weights we were over the Max ball weight of 194kgs by 6kgs as well at 200 kgs. I had already removed the ally generator box and tool box off the draw bar in an effort to get it close to std, tanks are empty. I emailed the original selling dealer and the van came ex factory with most of the listed options, 150l fridge, roof ac, two batteries, TV, winegard antenna and extended draw bar. It was also sold with an oven but had obviously been replaced with a defroster so that cancels that out or I get a little weight back.
It just doesn't seem to add up?

A couple of questions if I may to the guru's??

Is the tare weight done with no LP cylinders?
Does the Max draw bar weight of 194kg seem low (ATM 2272)?
Does the outback come std with a rear bumper (not the round tube version)?
Would like to know if anyone has a 2012 Discovery OB 17.55-5 and hear what is on their compliance plate vs our van?
Empty ball mass 147kg
Max ball mass. 194kg
Tare. 1797kg
GTM. 2125kg
ATM. 2272kg
Axle group 2700kg

Picture at the weigh bridge and hopefully the rain stays away tomorrow for a bit.

image.jpeg

And the maiden lap around the block once I had done the brake controller.
image.jpeg

Cheers Max.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Is the tare weight done with no LP cylinders? I believe it's done without them!
Does the Max draw bar weight of 194kg seem low (ATM 2272)? Yes slightly... Draw Bar weight is usually approximately 10% of ATM.
Does the outback come std with a rear bumper (not the round tube version)? Yes 100 x 50mm RHS Tube Bar on the outbacks.
Would like to know if anyone has a 2012 Discovery OB 17.55-5 and hear what is on their compliance plate vs our van? Can't help... Have a 17.56.2 Expanda ;)

Answers above in red!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I firmly believe that Jayco, in their wisdom (?) have a look at the Van, squint their eyes and turn their head to one side
then guess the weights

we had a long running thread on here awhile ago, about weights not matching the Plates

I think the average was 2 out of 50 Vans they guessed the correct weights

Herbertclan

Mar 6, 2016
Perth
Answers above in red!

Awesome @dagree thanks for that, I have a feeling my rear bumper is a blend of Jayco and a previous owner by the looks of things, mine hangs out about 400mm-500mm and is rigged for a home made twin bike carrier.

I firmly believe that Jayco, in their wisdom (?) have a look at the Van, squint their eyes and turn their head to one side
then guess the weights

we had a long running thread on here awhile ago, about weights not matching the Plates

I think the average was 2 out of 50 Vans they guessed the correct weights

Thanks @bigcol this is the vibe I'm feeling!!

Thanks gents,