Hema Navigator GPS

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
What price are they asking? Tell em their dreaming.....being HEMA sounds expensive.
We have a 5 inch Garmin 1450T. Does us. No 4WD maps though.
Cheers Deano

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience, good or bad with the Hema Navigator?

http://www.hemanavigator.com.au/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=td/Y9vlYbh4=&tabid=181

My old TOMTOM cannot accept the new maps due to it having old firmware??? Whatever that means. Anyway I like the idea of having 4WD maps! Just so long as it works like they say it will?

Any comments would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Big Gee

I like the look of the HN6 and have been considering getting one. Nearly bought the HN5 for 25% off at Rays but thought the HN6 offered better features for caravaning. Besides 4wd maps you can wire a reverse camera to it, and it has camps 6 preloaded. I guess if all you want is a GPS it's not good value but for all the other stuff would be great for 4wd ing and towing.

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
Sounds good but we elected to by an iPad and then you can purchase the hema maps from the app store for $149 or the Tom Tom app for $74 then you have an iPad and portable sat nav for the same price. Well that is our theory for our big trip in six weeks time and counting.. I would be interested if anyone has done the same?

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I have an iPad and have considered the same options. Will be interested to hear feedback from others too.

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
I have an IPad as well but foolishly I neglected to get one with 3G! Hence no GPS :hurt:

For some strange reason it seemed just so easy to connect the iPad to the iPhone for emails and surfing! Alas I never thought of using it as a GPS!

Anyway I picked up the new Hema HN6, from ARB in Fyshwick this arvo! Seems good so far I like the idea of being able to connect the camera off the caravan to it!

So far seems pretty easy to use, a couple of points to mention is you can have different profiles loaded but importantly I can have one for the car and one for a truck which will be cool when I'm towing the caravan! I hope this will save me from being sent down a road with a low railway bridge and no where to turn a BLOODY caravan around!

The other thing this one has over the old TOMTOM is the ability to plan a trip with different stops along the way.

4WD maps are cool too!

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I have had iPads since there release. I also have the VMS mudmap GPS app, the nth America and western europe tom tom apps. I love the iPad but like most "all in one" devices it does something's great and other things average. I think it's invaluable travelling for looking up and researching and even the GPS apps work okay but it's cumbersome in the car even with a decent mount, the gps apps use a lot of power and the iPad gets hot and the standard iPhone chargers are not powerful enough for them. The Hema app has issues with extra maps. If you get serious about off road maps the add ons are huge and you soon start to have to manage your memory and POI files are hard if not impossible to load into them ( no camps 6 )

So for me after 2+ years of iPad use I want to get a Hema HN6i and plug my reverse camera into it as well.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I have had iPads since there release. I also have the VMS mudmap GPS app, the nth America and western europe tom tom apps. I love the iPad but like most "all in one" devices it does something's great and other things average. I think it's invaluable travelling for looking up and researching and even the GPS apps work okay but it's cumbersome in the car even with a decent mount, the gps apps use a lot of power and the iPad gets hot and the standard iPhone chargers are not powerful enough for them. The Hema app has issues with extra maps. If you get serious about off road maps the add ons are huge and you soon start to have to manage your memory and POI files are hard if not impossible to load into them ( no camps 6 )

So for me after 2+ years of iPad use I want to get a Hema HN6i and plug my reverse camera into it as well.

Thats really useful feedback, thanks Jim :high5:

My new BT50 has an inbuit navigator with whereis software on an SD card. I wonder if i can get offroad maps into the BT? Probably not but it would be nice.

ragracing

Jan 30, 2012
Petrie Qld
My new BT50 has an inbuit navigator with whereis software on an SD card. I wonder if i can get offroad maps into the BT? Probably not but it would be nice.

Hi Moto,

My boss has a Mazda 3 MPS with the built in Navigator powered by WhereIs and when he went to buy the map update it was $250.

Duncan