Help required for towing limits

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
It's amazing how fast 300kg's can get away, I only have necessities and travel with one tank full but I bet I'm over!

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I've been through the same dilemma recently, after a weigh bridge shock I decided to remove all of our gear and any accessories that I'd added then re-weigh the van. Jayco's original figures were spot on, they weigh the van's after all of the factory options are fitted but with no gas and water including the water in the HWS and toilet.

The other issue I had was ball weight which was also over after adding an aluminium box to the draw bar housing our BBQ, hoses, lead and other minor gear + a 150mm tube accross the front to carry rods and poles. I corrected this by adding a new rear bar with a drop down wheel carrier, now the tow ball weight is 30kg under. The only down side is the rear bar cost us 23kg from our payload, considering a carton of beer is about 15kg that's alot of beer!

I then weighed each item I added to the van and managed to cull 75 odd kg's, with one tank filled and all of our standards camping gear we have 115kg left for food clothes and bedding which is ok for us.

I was also thinking in the beginning adding a rear swing away bike carrier with 4 bikes, that would have weighed a total of 100kg! So it goes without saying that that idea was scrapped, I preferred it when my head was in the sand, this has been a painful process but it was an eye opener and great reassurance!

Hey good result Andrew, yeah I am going re acess it agin when the new tug arrives. I don't always carry a gennie and currently carry it in the back of the Pajero which I hate so it will either go to the drawbar in a box or the roof. I have found with both expandas that they behave better with more wiegh on the drawbar than less so unless your reaching your towbars limit personally I would stress over the increased tow ball weight.

I picked up a landcrusier spare tyre winch last week and am going to make a wind up spare for the back of the van and not bother with the third tank idea. I will have a 55 litre stainless tank in the Landcrusier with a jerry holder as well so my overall water is up nearly 50%.

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
Hanging the spare underneath would be a great out of the way place on an Expanda, saving the need for a drop down spare wheel carrier.

I'm looking forward to seeing this new Landcruiser !

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
I picked up a landcrusier spare tyre winch last week and am going to make a wind up spare for the back of the van and not bother with the third tank idea.

Jim,

Can you post some pics once you have done the spare wheel mod, I am interested in doing something similar, so that I can put a Generator box on the drawbar.

This is one that I have seen that I want to copy onto our van.

Cheers

Craig

Attachments

• Generator box.jpg
    Generator box.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 240

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Will do guys but it may be while. My box is in hold till the new tug arrives and everything else is on hold for work and construction of the new shed for the Expanda, once the Expanda is tucked away inside I will get stuck into it.