Help needed - Hot water service 17-56-2

Darwin Trippers

Jul 6, 2016
Darwin
I need some help with my van. When I hook up to mains water, I turn on the hot water switch inside the van next to the red light. I turn on the switch inside the hot water unit (external) and then when I use the hot water, the red hot water light comes on and won't turn off. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? Then also, some times the pump doesn't shut off. I will turn the switch off and then on again and then it shuts itself off. Any help for this novice?

WHHEMI

Jan 18, 2016
Yarra Valley
The switch on the inside is for using the HWS on gas, the switch behind the cover on the outside is for using it on 240v.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
And it takes up to 20 minutes to heat up the 22 litres for the shower.

It ain't instant. You should have been given an instruction book with the van which will explain everything....or try to.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
As said above.........the switch with the red light is for use on Gas, light will come on until the burner fires up then go off, you do need the gas turned on.......if the gas is off it will stay red for a period of time then shut down for a bit then try again.
The switch on the outside of the HWS is the 240v switch but turn it on and leave on, turn your 240 on/off at the power point as the external switch can fail.
Always run water thru the HW line before turning the HWS on power or gas.
When using your water pump it will run until the line is pressurized or while a tap is turned on.
20- 25 mins to heat up.

If you haven't got a manual go here; http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/pdf.php?pdf_id=555 you may need to have a read of your fridge manual also as it may give you trouble also.

Don't be a stranger here, heaps of information and laughter on our site, there's never a stupid question either unlike some other places.........we even allow Wait Awhiles on here.

Darwin Trippers

Jul 6, 2016
Darwin
T
As said above.........the switch with the red light is for use on Gas, light will come on until the burner fires up then go off, you do need the gas turned on.......if the gas is off it will stay red for a period of time then shut down for a bit then try again.
The switch on the outside of the HWS is the 240v switch but turn it on and leave on, turn your 240 on/off at the power point as the external switch can fail.
Always run water thru the HW line before turning the HWS on power or gas.
When using your water pump it will run until the line is pressurized or while a tap is turned on.
20- 25 mins to heat up.

If you haven't got a manual go here; http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/pdf.php?pdf_id=555 you may need to have a read of your fridge manual also as it may give you trouble also.

Don't be a stranger here, heaps of information and laughter on our site, there's never a stupid question either unlike some other places.........we even allow Wait Awhiles on here.
hanks so much, very helpful indeed!

Reactions: Drover

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Try this out!

HOT WATER SERVICE

Electric/Powered Site

1. Outside van turn HWS swith to ON.
2. Inside van, flick tap to hot & ensure water flowing.
3. Plug into powerpoint, from HWS & turn on. (NB: This is under the dinette near your battery box & breakaway battery)

Gas/Unpowered Site

1. Outside van turn HWS switch to OFF.
2. Inside van ensure Battery Switch & Water Pump Switch ON.
3. Flick tap to hot & ensure water flowing.
4. Turn white hot water switch to ON (NB: This is probably with your Battery & Pump Switch - it is the one with the red lens on it). Red light will turn ON, then go off when operating in approx 10 seconds.

Important Turn OFF when finished use.

NB: HWS takes approx 15-20 mins to heat.

Hope this helps. Your HWS will fill when you connect mains or turn the pump on with tank water, but that is why you turn the tap to hot. If it flows it has water; if it doesn't flow, then it doesn't.

There are also some excellent videos on line - google Australian Caravan Services or Caravan Hot Water Systems, excellent.