Help-fridge dodgy on gas

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
I have a Thetford fridge in my Jayco Swift. I have never run the fridge on gas. Next week we are going to the meet/greet/hava good time at Sheepyard Flats. Thought it best to test fridge and stove as neither have ever been used.
The stove works fine on gas, but the fridge? There is a needle that moves from the white side to the green zone when the fridge is on gas. When I first start the fridge, this happens. But it doesn't stay there.
My question is, should it stay in the green zone or move back into the white? The freezer box is getting cold and feels freezing.
If I re-attempt to start the fridge there is an alarm bang that comes from I don't know where.
Any answers will be good. If the fridge don't work on gas then we don't go.
Stan

albo42

Sep 18, 2012
Canberra
From memory my Finch had a gas flick lever for the fridge under the van, behind a metal shield - my memory may be playing tricks on me, but that could be worth checking, good luck Al

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Is there warm flue gasses coming out of the flue vent? It could be just a touchy connector on the indicator. It is only running on millivolts. If the fridge is working on gas it will stink for the first few hours as the paint burns in. If it is working but the indictor is not then thats no big deal and could wait for a service.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
the indicator should stay in the green normally about half way, though mine sit just over the middle line, if the freezer was cold then seems like it's OK, the bang you heard was most likely extra gas from you trying to re-start though it was already running

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Thank you Bushman. That's the info I was looking for. And,yes, I did find the flu. I also rang the dealer who put me straight on how to light it and what to look for and smell.
It is operating just fine now.
I have turned the gas off now and put it onto 240v till we leave. I must admit, I was worried.
There have been a number of nigling issue with the van. Nothing major, more annoying than anything. Anyway, I am a happy camper again now.