17' Series Help!! Brakes are locking up

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Well,
Got the van serviced Friday (1000kms) Jayco Mackay are still settling in to their new business and still have a long way to go. Drove the van back to the van park as home is 250kms from Mackay, no dramas. Today when leaving to come home drove around a few corners then the brakes start to lock up when braking. I have changed nothing with the controller since we picked up the van (P3 Tekonsha controller) have it set on boost 2 at about 12.5v, it has always pulled up the van nicely and quickly without lockup. I adjusted the controller volts back to 9.6v whilst still being on boost 2.... REALLY BAD!!! lock up as soon as i tapped the pedal. changed it back to boost 1 and 12.5v didn't quite lock up as much but also felt it not pulling up the van quickly enough for my liking. Now if i lived 5,20,45 mins away from the dealer I would go back but 2 and a bit hours and with the brakes like they are don't really want to try going down the range!! The real question is do i adjust the brakes with the usual 8-12 clicks back from wheel lock or is there another way/terchnique? I am assuming they under adjusted the brakes and when I put my foot on the controller tries to compensate and jams on the picks.... gets quite scary.

Any constructive comments much appreciated :ear:

bully66672

Jun 30, 2011
Melbourne
Brake adjustment is done by lifting the wheel off the ground so that is spins freely. Adjust until you can feel the pads just starting to grab and then back the adjuster off slightly.
I have never had to use my prodigy in the boost modes exept for steep hills. Typically I would have it set at about half dial. Even with the brakes adjusted properly the wheels would lock up if I had my controller up too high.

bully66672

Jun 30, 2011
Melbourne
The brakes do seem to crack on pretty hard with that controller on the boost levels.
The boost levels work well on hills.
I like having the controller set so that the van does most of the work but there's a fine line between smooth braking and hard hitting. Once it's set don't let the kids fool around with it like mine do.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
It okay everyone... you can stop worrying now. :pound:I know what the issue was. The young fella must have been climbing through the car and knocked the controller on an angle backwards, and for some reason it makes the brakes worse, I would of thought backwards would have had the opposite affect. Oh well, all good!!