16' Series Help/Advice re my Expanda weights

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
Ok that's good to know, checked rego and has a tare weight of 1595 which is a little under the 1650 on the website and it had a couple of extras which should of made it over that. @17triton I didn't get a weigh bridge ticket in our pack.
@jbell6660 we also bought from Jayco Sydney so I probably won't even bother calling them now especially as more people are saying the same as in @MDS69 so I'll leave it be. At least it is on the rego.

Thanks for the responses everyone! :encouragement:

michael d

Mar 23, 2016
adelaide south australia
I bet that a lot of vans with tool boxes etc with food and solar panels battery etc would be overloaded as 300 kg isnt much. Problem being if involved in a crash insurance could be voided? ??

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If insurance was a worry then roof racks, wheels, tyres etc on tug not to mention how many vehicles on holidays are overloaded with or without a van would be a bonus for the money grabbers, in some exceptional circumstances it could be an issue but not for the general run of the mill........Some that are blatantly obvious are asking for trouble.

and with a compliance plate that is usually incorrect, not a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol

michael d

Mar 23, 2016
adelaide south australia
do you not think that if there were an accident the first thing the insurance company might do is find out how they can get out of the claim? It would worry me if I had the van over loaded maybe the insurance companies don't worry to much about it unless they actually think the weight caused the accident

anyone ever had a claim refused do to being overloaded?

Reactions: NoWorries

Chaser

Sep 3, 2013
Hi Guys,

Interestingly I was just looking for info on this subject as last week out of curiosity I loaded up my 18.57-6 OB and 2012 Challenger for the long weekend at Bendeela camping area, so water tanks full portable solar in generator in truck canoes on the roof food in fridge the lot only thing I did not have was the wife and kids as I was off down there and they were meeting me after school!
So split weigh bridge truck hitched was 2440kgs, van 2440kgs, (GTM of van 2330kgs so over already) unhitched truck 2280kgs and van 2620kgs this gives ball weight of 180kgs. The GCM being 4900kgs I then of course added the weight of the family (probably a bit on the generous side) as 214kgs so GCM 5114kgs and tug then GVM being 2494 plus the ball weight of 180 = 2674kgs.
So the long and short of it is Truck is just 36kgs under weight but the van is 122kgs overweight, while away did alot of rearranging and off loading so hope to have dropped the vans weight down a fare amount but doubt its 122kgs.
The thing is I do not carry much and have not got that many extras on board, nor was I carrying wood which I would to some camps as fires not allowed at Bendeela, so If I was my truck would have been overweight to, even though I would be under the GCM.
Will be looking into up rating the van as the axle group weight is 2700kgs. Having it serviced next week so hope to let you all know the outcome, as I love my van and tug so have no wish to change anything but now have storeage areas that are near empty and the annex walls are not in which makes that all pointless.
Cheers
Chaser

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Not having pen or paper handy but quick look to remedy would be get rid of the Challenger as your right on it's max loadings by the look of things.

Chaser

Sep 3, 2013
True Drover but not quite and the van is over! Just got a reply from jayco and they will not help with any advice etc so off to see my service guy on Monday and see if he has any ideas on changing the ATM of the van.
As for the challenger there are not many things that have as much unless I get a BT 50 or landcruiser.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
True Drover but not quite and the van is over! Just got a reply from jayco and they will not help with any advice etc so off to see my service guy on Monday and see if he has any ideas on changing the ATM of the van.
As for the challenger there are not many things that have as much unless I get a BT 50 or landcruiser.
I had same probs with my 1756-2 outback and my prado van is closer to 2.6 if not more and 270 kg on the ball and that was from new hadnt used it yet spoke to jayco i was quickly put in the do not reply spot gave up just got a cruiser as in future i will carry more not less as my kids get bigger eg a boat on the roof of car and heaps of room in back of the 100 series a lot of people dont care about weight just look around at what is towing big vans and how loaded they are just pulled in this park a huge van being towed by a kia its smallar than my commodore mite be 3 or 3.5 towing but that car is much lighter than the van to me some things just dont add up i know not everyone can bye a cruiser but its best to have the weights under control what eva car we have rant over

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I thought the Challenger only had a 2.5t tow cap ?????? which means as you load it up that will decrease..................Territory, Colorado,D-Max, Landy's all have higher tow caps.

michael d

Mar 23, 2016
adelaide south australia
i went to look at a 2005 outback this arvo. The axle was rated to 2T the tare of van was 1480 gvm (think It was gvm) said 1780 how come its not 2t when that is what the axle is rated at? The other newer non outbacks they have had tare of 1440 axle of 1700 gvm of 1780. guessing the gvm can be more than axle due to there being around 150kg ball weight meaning the gvm of 1780 makes the weight on axle about 1630 so under the axles rating of 1700. Anyone have a van that is a tare of around 1500kg and axle 2000kg and then gvm or 2100 or similar?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Generally a 50mm square axle will be 2t , bearings used can lower it, combined with load rating of rims and tyres another can of worms but the load rate will be greater than the van max weights, compliance plates are not a trusted guide as they are usually wrong.

Reactions: dagree

Chaser

Sep 3, 2013
Hi there,
Just getting back to this, the challenger I have 2012 LS has a 3T towing capacity, so can tow the van even if I get it up rated.
I have now had an engineer look at the van and I can have it up rated with a new compliance plate to 2700kg by having better springs put on, I have not got the full quote yet but is looking to be approx $1200-1500. So I will let you all know that as time goes on.
As for the tug, I am considering up grading it but as I mentioned before there is not much out there that has as much capacity, in the simple look that I have done is as follows:-

.......................payload kg .................Towing T ............Ball weight kg ............Roof load kg
Challenger .....659.............................3............................300..............................80

Pajero ........... 775 ........................... 3/2.5 .....................180/250 ......................100

Disco ............ 682............................ 3.5......................... 350 .............................75

Landcruiser ...610 ............................3.5......................... not stated ...................not stated

MUX ..............765/690 ......................3 ............................300 ............................not stated

So the landcruiser surprisingly loses me payload and the Disco did not gain much which leaves the Pajero or the MUX and the MUX payload varies alot depending on model. Of course the Pajero has its issues with ball weight and tow capacity but I,m just on 180kg ball on the van so its a consideration for its payload and reasonable price.
Lots to consider here but I want a full cab so will not be looking at utes at all. I will let you know about the quote for the van upgrade in due course.
Cheers
Chaser

Last edited:
Reactions: davemc

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It's a major decision with many variables for sure, of those listed without looking at price I would go the Cruiser, while the payload may be less than the Mitsubishi you have more room to fit it and the engine will push it around easier and is more suited to towing.
Have heard good reports on the Mux, mates with Disco's love em but can run out of room and only one mate with a Challenger and he can hardly wait to get rid of it and Pajero owners always praise their wagons for some strange reason, mostly one eyed even when the gearbox falls on the road..........we laughed but old mate still reckoned it was a great truck......
Main figure to look for is the GCM that dictates how much you can carry and tow.

Price for the spring upgrade is pretty good, go for greasable shackles.

Chaser

Sep 3, 2013
Indeed Drover it's a big decision and not one that will be done quickly as there is not enough money in the bank to buy any new tug at the moment! I have to say never had a problem with the challenger could occasionally do with more grunt but has enough gears to get anywhere ive had to go so far. had not heard of many probs with the Pajero so I will look into that as I make that decision.
I don't currently have a problem with GCM and is something I do check on, I must go and take MUX for a spin and see if they are a goer, as I try to sort out the van and tug problems.
Cheers
Chaser

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
I had a 2014 Pajero and now have a 200 series Landcruiser and day to day the Landcruiser wins hands down
I have not towed with it yet (only picked it up last week)
The Pajero was fine but did not like towing a 2.6t van in the heat. (gearbox temps went through the roof)

The loads for a Landcruiser are
Payload GXL Towing Ball Roof
Landcruiser ...610 ............................3.5......................... 350kg ...................200kg using all 8 mounting points

You can also get a GVM upgrade for the Landcruiser (you can't get a legal one for the Pajero)
Other things to think about for the Pajero are
It is very noisy
It rattles and shakes very badly over corrugations (so bad that the stereo started to fall out the windscreen washers and indicators came one often and I wanted to smash the car into little pieces by the end of a 40km road)
Towing a 2.6t van you will use about 22lt per 100km and so you will be always looking for a service station.

BUY A Cruiser !!!!!!!!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
From the very first Pajero's have always been thirsty I seem to recall @NoWorries , I think the MUX would be a goer, my Colorado gives 14's towing 21ft and 2.7t.

Reactions: bigcol

Jags73

Mar 25, 2016
Angle Vale SA
Just to add to the discussion as I wanted to know my weights on a single axle set up.
Me being a little different wanted a lower van & wasn't going off road as the van will be left at a park & do day trips into tha bush with the 4b
On the weekend I will be using the ferry at Swan Reach & to see if any part of the van is going to bottom out, with that I have fitted the blue teflon skid pads on the rear bar. I will be only filling the front water tank as back up as it's only an over nighter on a powered site at Renmark.

I have on the Plate a tare mass of 1570 kg, GTM 1847 kg & ATM 1945.
So got the 4 pad race scales out & did both wheels separately & jockey wheel

Results were
Front & rear tank full, loo has about 15 ltrs all up, about 9kgs of gas in 2 bottles, full of gear except clothes & food.
Weighed in at, axle or GTM 1726 kg,
tow ball 122 kgs,
ATM 1848 kg
This leaves 97 kgs for clothes, food & any other toys.

Right wheel 944 kg
Left wheel 782 kg

Emptied rear water tank to put more weight on tow ball
Axle, GTM 1648 kg,
tow ball 140 kg,
ATM 1788 kg

Right wheel 904 kg
Left wheel 743 kg
Give or take a couple of Kgs on the whole deal

On the longer trips I will have both tanks full & use the rear tank first.

Last edited:
Reactions: MDS69 and Drover

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Be careful how they calculate payload as well. Tare for some is 10 litres fuel, some are full tank of fuel and some are fuel and 75kg driver.
So they can vary a lot be nice if there was a standard :)
Finding how they do kerb weight/Tare is not easy as well as they can hide how they do it elsewhere.
I think weight bridge only way to be sure.. Need to take our Disco over soon.

We looked at Disco and Mux.
The Mux has 10 litre of fuel included.
The Disco is 90% tank and 75kg driver.

That said if you can get by payload wise the MUX is cheaper although drives a bit truck like and not as many creature comforts (ok hardly any) compared to the Disco. Almost half the $ :)