Hayman Reese WDH, which length springs ?

billykidd

Apr 2, 2013
Brisbane
Hi

I've read every post I could find on WDH, but I've one question. We have a 16.49.1 Outback, with the jockey wheel on the outside of the A frame. So what length springs should I be looking at, the 28 inch or 30 inch ?
I realise it would be easier to go to a dealer to have it fitted, but this would increase the cost more than I consider a reasonable amount.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Measure the length from the tip of the coupling to the far edge of the jockey wheel clamp. From that measurement, you will be able to determine which length bar you will require.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
@billykidd, did you get your van from Bne Camperland? If so are you a VIP member? They give it for 12 months when you purchase through them. If so, they sell the Hayman Reese bars cheaper than my F-I-L can get them wholesale from the supplier.
Not sure if they would charge you a fitting fee but I believe not if you have bought it through them.

BJ.

billykidd

Apr 2, 2013
Brisbane
Thanks, yes did purchase from Ben camperland, but almost 5 years ago, so no longer a VIP. . seems speedy towbars are much cheaper to buy from also at present in brisbane.

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
@billykidd If you are worried about the jockey wheel interfering, consider using the following sequence. Connect van, wind jockey wheel up (lifting rear of car and front of van), connect WDH bar opposite jockey wheel, lower jockey wheel and remove, install second bar.

The theory is that the first bar is easier to install as the jockey will has done some of the lifting. The second bar is easier to install because the first bar is taking some of the weight.

On mine once the jockey wheel is removed there is no interference. The spring length should relate to the ball weight of the caravan.
For HR (from http://www.haymanreese.com.au/products/weightdistributionsystems.htm)

Understanding your trailer ball weight is the starting point for know which Weight Distribution System you need. Use the table below as a guide.

Ball Weight (kg)

Appropriate system

0 – 80

Mini

80 – 135

Intermediate

135 – 275

600lb Kit

275 – 365

800lb Kit

365 – 545

1200lb Kit

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Steve

Roadkill

Mar 24, 2013
SA
Evening all. Have just picked up an 18.57-6 along with a HR WDH. Have a Slight problem where the left bar interferes with the jockey wheel clamp. Have any others out there had a similar issue or come up with a simple solution?

Thanks,

Roadkill

Moxley23

Feb 10, 2013
ACT
Can you show us a picture? I've got a standard length draw bar (2013 model Expanda) and 30 inch spring bars (HR) and no problems with the jockey wheel clamp.

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
Evening all. Have just picked up an 18.57-6 along with a HR WDH. Have a Slight problem where the left bar interferes with the jockey wheel clamp. Have any others out there had a similar issue or come up with a simple solution?

Thanks,

Roadkill
Did on my old van and I got a guy to remove wheel clamp and weld new one to inside of A frame! Problem solved!

Roadkill

Mar 24, 2013
SA
Thinking the move is the only option.... van1.jpg van2.JPG

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
g'day Roadkill

Who set that hitch up? looks like you have the standed model van non Outback

those bars need room to move slighty at the chain end they look way to close to drawbar.

I have Outback standard drawbar, bars dont sit anywhere near drawbar and can get the jockey wheel behind the bar just, though usually take the bar off first, bars also sit very low unfortunatey.

Last edited:

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
You could try tilting the head of the WDH away from the car a fraction, so you can add a link or two extra on the chain end, as @Bushman sys, the bars are too close to the drawbar, not just the clamp, I would be concerned about them fouling as you turned.

Reactions: Roadkill

Roadkill

Mar 24, 2013
SA
Will try that plan tomorrow cracka.

Bushman, yes non outback model. I would have liked the outback for the extra clearance, but towing out from the driveway this morning wasn't a problem.

Last edited: