Has anyone had water stolen from drawbar tap?

CousinLarry

May 28, 2019
Nd513112
Hi All

I've just got myself a second hand Jayco Caravan which has a convenient tap on the drawbar. Although, I've done a fair bit of camping around I've never had a tap fitted on the outside of a van and was wondering if anyone has encountered anyone stealing water while you may be away? There's nothing really stopping someone walking up and filling jerry cans from the tap.
I think I may fit a tap lock type device but, just asking if its happened to anyone?

Thanks in advance.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
That tap does not work unless you have mains pressure connected. So any stealing water will be the CP’s water and not from your tanks.

Reactions: Bluey

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
and if you turn the pump off they can't steal your tank water but Ive never had anyone or heard of theft that way, I have a normal tap connector on mine with a dummy hose end fitted to keep bugs from making house, I also fitted a panel to save it from stones........ they would have to be pretty desperate.

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
A couple of caravaners were camping at Inskip one year, one ran out of water most days the other never ran out, then he was sprung filling his tanks from his mates van lol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
But thats Innskip Point all over, many light fingered campers there, even the thunder cans get knocked off if you don't lock the hatch ...................

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Ive never heard or even thought of that, as awesome and as obvious a benefit for me as it is. Ive got 30 years of caravaning and freecamping and Im only a pup amongst this group. Experience would suggest generally theft would more likely be the "others"; by "others" I mean locals rather than fellow campers, and the "others" would be less interested in water I suspect

Mostly free camping we rarely venture too far from the van anyway. With the pump off which we mostly do when were not using it, particularly if we are wandering away no water will come out of the tap anyway. The pump is also quite noisy inside and out as well, so it would be very easy to hear someone pilfering.

Good idea though

CousinLarry

May 28, 2019
Nd513112
Thanks for your replies. You would like to think that's it's not really a possibility and that no one would consider such a thing but, I have heard of a few times where campers have had things "borrowed" while they've been day tripping and I just thought about water being so precious in more remote places that if someone were so inclined they could easily help themselves.
Cheers.

carco

Jan 20, 2019
Gympie
Had all my water jerry cans, old fishing gear etc pinched from our off road camper at Inskip.
We got off lightly, others had kayaks, water toys and proper fishing gear stolen.
Been going there for about 50 years, never even thought about thieves.
Many vans now have motion activated security lights and cameras.
A different place these days.

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Last time we camped there the coppers did a drive through twice a day, really spoiled the place these mongrels same happens at Cotton Tree in the busy time as well as other places, should be legal to shoot them!

carco

Jan 20, 2019
Gympie
Not much use driving through in the daytime, thieves are active in the dark.
Our stuff went during the night, we were in the camper with our two dogs but the surf noise etc tends to muffle noises.