17' Series Handles vs. Buttons

Sep 5, 2016
Sydney
Hey Expanda family, does anyone have thoughts around the handles vs. buttons that are installed in the pandas?

We've noticed that the approach now from Jayco seems to be to install the plastic handles on most things that open and shut. We're about to go into production on our van build and we're concerned that the newer handle approach is much easier to break. This is based on climbing through a bunch of vans over the last couple of weeks, each van had at least 1 broken handle.

Is this normally something that's easy for them to change out if requested? The image on the Jayco website shows push buttons, but the feedback seems to be that this isn't an option now? http://www.jayco.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/slideshow-JAYCO-Expanda-Touring-0214.jpg

Thanks.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
One of the things I love most about our new van (albeit not a Jayco) was that we did away with the push button handles and have gone to fixed metal handles. Simple pin and latch lock works a treat.The thought of going back to those push button fittings gives me shivers....

Reactions: Drover
Sep 5, 2016
Sydney
@Smergen thanks for the feedback, the fixed metal handles sounds ideal and it would be awesome if Jayco had the same - I'm not looking forward to replacing the plastic ones every time they snap! Might have to check with them and see if there are any alternatives other than the plastic or push button...

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
No problem @TheExpandables. We didn't have one snap per se, but got frustrated with the continual pushing trying to get them to latch at times. I know you can improve them and make them better, but to be honest, I was too lazy... :) I prefer the non-mechanical option.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
We have both handles and buttons.

Haven't had any problems so far with the handles, but have had a couple of buttons stick and one fall apart.

Easy to replace, but metal would be a far better option for longevity.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Previous Jayco had the push buttons and we were regularly changing them over, they stuck in position or just fell apart. The Expanda has plastic handles and never had an issue with them, would hate to go back to the push buttons again

Rusty02

Aug 16, 2015
Brisbane
The push buttons can be a bit of a pain. Our 2016 has the handles and generally they are better that the buttons. We have had one handle break because we opened it from one side. We have also had the little metal pin drop out of one of our vertical handles. So if you see a very small metal pin laying on the floor, check the handles. I do like the positive latch the handles have.

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
I'd just leave them as is and don't ask Jayco to change them in your build. The workers will get confused and they are likely to stuff it up.

The display vans usual break as you have every man and dog opening them, especially feral kids.

Reactions: Bluey

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Don't repeat Don't , go the buttons...............they can be one of the biggest pains, some work really well and others you will have to push the bloody thing 10 times before it will unlatch, horrible things and solid handle with velcro on the inside would be better....................but thats just my opinion, Big Mal does not have buttons I can tell you.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Don't repeat Don't , go the buttons...............they can be one of the biggest pains, some work really well and others you will have to push the bloody thing 10 times before it will unlatch, horrible things and solid handle with velcro on the inside would be better....................but thats just my opinion, Big Mal does not have buttons I can tell you.
Why don't you say what you really think @Drover :behindsofa:

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2016
Sydney
For those that are interested, pricing for replacement handles and buttons from Jayco in Sydney :

- Handles ($16.20 - Front, $1.60 - Back)
- Buttons ($8.20 - Front, $5,90 - Back)

WHHEMI

Jan 18, 2016
Yarra Valley
The buttons are normally only a problem if they are not adjusted properly, not sure if the new handles are the same accross the range but the 2016 Journey has had lots of reports of handles braking

Sep 5, 2016
Sydney
@WHHEMI we'd seen quite a few broken handles when we were first looking for our panda. Prompted me to ask the question on this thread about replacing them. We've stuck with the handles and I'll be grabbing some spares, will be interesting as to how they hold up in the wild. We have a couple of awesome testers, a 3 year old and a 4.5 year old ... if they can't break them - no-one can!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I have these type of handles in mine
a bit hard sometimes to open - but none broken yet

IMAG0224.jpg

Reactions: Bluey

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
nope
2013 - made with real cast alloy crap........................

you cannot really see then too well, but............. the one on the left - the cupboard above the fridge...... that side your looking at is the lever to un-lock the cupboard
so you are using your thumb, not your fingers to do it

I could change them around, so they are the other way - but - meh - not really a problem as such

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
We have buttons no dramas as yet and like big col handels on top cupboards all good
Same here with the buttons down low and same handles on overhead cupboards.... Only issue we had was one lower drawer not locking shut. Adjusted inner catch and all's good since (fingers crossed)