Starcraft Ground Clearance - Starcraft Touring

DLT

Dec 3, 2015
Brisbane
Hi Guys,
I was just after some real world advice on how bad the clearance is on a Starcraft Touring?

We are not looking at going to far "Off Road" in it but will be doing a bit of free camping as well as the normal caravan park stuff. We are coming from a Swan Outback which never had any issues but i am a bit concerned about how easy it might be to drag it's rear everywhere - was thinking a "Spring Over" might be in order?
Is there any concerns with doing this?

My 16.67-1 Starcraft is due to arrive into Brisbane tomorrow but as i bought it from interstate i haven't been able to climb under it to have a look as yet to see how easy it is going to be.

Thanks in advance
Dale

ACTraveller

Apr 23, 2010
ACT
We have a Starcraft 18.55-3 and ordered it with the underslung axle option - factory fitted. If you want it get it factory fitted as that option also means you get an upgraded chassis and drawbar - it is excellent value at und $300. Having it done afterwards is complex, the dealers won't do it generally as it voids the warranty. Extra height is about 100mm, whereas the off road version is about 200mm from memory.
Having said all of that we wouldn't bother going for this option next van as we found it not really necessary for our type of touring, we black top it, and go off-road just with our DMax and tent to anywhere remote, leaving the van in a caravan park - eg Alice Springs Big4 charge $56 a week secure fenced storage. We had a straight tourer with our Expanda and went all up through western Qld with no problems. We also found the extra height really pushed the centre of gravity up high and the van just does not feel as stable as the Expanda. The Starcraft at first was a nightmare, rocked and rolled everywhere, blew around from passing semis etc on the trip home when empty, it was only after we loaded up and filled the water tanks that the van "sat" and rode better - but we will go the tourer again any day.
It all depends where you want to use the van.

Reactions: dagree and davemc

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
When you get to check it out if you find you need a fair bit of height then rolling the axle will give you about 100mm, if you only need 25-30mm then look at changing the wheels and tyres this can give a modest increase and is usually a better option by not increasing the tow hitch height by very much........you can also replace the springs, which I did and gave an all round better height, handling situation.
First off on a nice flat surface measure your tow ball height with the hitch in both positions (if yours can ) then with the van nice and level see what it's hitch height is, this gives you a good idea of what height options, without a lot of hassle are open to you. Rule of thumb says the tug hitch (uncoupled) should be at least 25mm higher than the van hitch, that way when you marry them up all should be relatively level........

I think most Jayco tourer models are just too low, making gouges in driveways lots of times from what I see, about an extra 50mm would be better I think..............

Middo

Apr 25, 2014
Brisbane
We have a Starcraft 16.67-4 and have not had any trouble dragging the rear. Have to back up the street and a sloping drive way to get it in. Biggest problem is the gutter and fixed that with lying some sleepers in it and taking it at an angle to the driveway. I can't put the wdh on until I am out of the yard and parked on the side of the road. Pain in the butt but used to it now

DLT

Dec 3, 2015
Brisbane
Thanks for all the advice guys - much appreciated.
Yes i am hoping that it is going to be OK but have a feeling that it will drag, just had confirmation that i can actually pick it up tomorrow so i will have a better gauge on it then once i have had a look at it.
Storage isn't an issue as i can park it at work & it is all flat, but concerned about free camping & some of the less than flat campgrounds.
Will post some photos's tomorrow

ACTraveller

Apr 23, 2010
ACT
Don't forget to check on your warranty terms and conditions - I am pretty sure if you do any of these mods suggested your warranty will be void.

DLT

Dec 3, 2015
Brisbane
Its Second hand so no warranty - 2013 Model
Just bought it Interstate so i haven't actually seen it as yet - cant wait till tomorrow!!!

Reactions: Sweet Pea

ACTraveller

Apr 23, 2010
ACT
Have fun, I am sure you will really enjoy the Starcraft, we loved our Expanda but the after a month or two in a BIG caravan we are even more happy - if that is good grammar.

Reactions: Smirke

DLT

Dec 3, 2015
Brisbane
We had a bit of an round about trip to get to the Starcraft
Tent, Soft Floor Camper, Windsor Rapid Pop Top, Jayco 18.57 Expanda, Tent (Again), Jayco Swan Outback + now the Starcraft - Whew!!!
I am really looking forward to having the beds set up permanently, a lot easier with 3 little kids i am guessing.

Reactions: Sweet Pea

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Gotta be easier.

Hope your first view of your new family member is enjoyable!

Reactions: DLT